Just came over to this from WOT

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

MoWhiskey #1 Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles

A quick question. Are the premium planes here like the premium tanks(They aren't as good as standard)?

Thanks

Bubba_Zanetti #2 Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Ya.  And they only work with a 100% proficient pilot.  However, with credits you can get your pilot to 90%, and a game or two in their preferred plane will get you to 100% for use in the prems.

MoWhiskey #3 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles

So they are pilot builders so speak.

Still trying to learn this game.

ArrowZ_ #4 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

Some are more OP than others: JL-1A-37, IL-10M, J8M, XP-50, P-39N, XF4U-1, P-80, Spitfire DB 605, 302, La-9RD, La-11, I-5 SHKAS, KI-88, P-51K, Fw190 A-8/R2...

Those planes listed are heavily opinionated. But in the right hands, these aircrafts can overpower some of the regular tech tree planes by their unique traits ranging from: high firepower, high altitude ceiling, high engine boost, high turning capability, high roll rate. Sometimes even a combination of these factors are put into one premium. It amazes me how a low flying high tier GA can dogfight and keep up with the high flying fighters and heavies and still be evasive. Talking about the IL-10m. Alot of people have complimented this premium to be a keeper. Amongst others.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 12 November 2017 - 12:07 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

MoWhiskey #5 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles
Would the IL-10m be the same as the IL-1 tier 6??

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles
IL-10M is a T8 GA. Not sure if it is in the premium store at the moment. Last time I checked it was a special. They could possibly bring it back during Xmas & new years.

Dru83 #7 Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

As Arrowz said, some premiums are better than others. In general, most of the premiums that are always available to be bought for gold are not quite as good as some of the others. Many of them are experimental versions of standard aircraft, but are available one tier earlier than the standard planes, like the XF4F Wildcat. Exceptions to the above rule include the Ha-137 and Bsh-1 attack aircraft.

I don't use my premiums as pilot builders. I don't see the need really as by the time I've gotten a pilot up to a tier 6 plane, he's got at least 3 skill points, enough to get one of the more expensive skills. I do use premiums for daily missions as they are generally more fun to fly (because they're unique in most cases).

pyantoryng #8 Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

Many premium planes are solid performers unlike Tanks...though the better ones are often in a limited-time offer.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mercsn #9 Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

Welcome!

I can't play tanks.  I just never could deal with the MOBA map lane strategies and invisitanks.  That said, from what I've gleaned from friends who enjoy it and are good with it, premiums (or any plane really) in WoWP are probably like some in WoT where you may find you just have an affinity for it and can perform better with it than the stats would suggest.

Premiums are good for pilot training (REMEMBER TO GO IN AND CLICK THE "TRAIN CREW" BOX! -it's unchecked by default) as well as bringing in much more credits than you'd think based on the boost they should give.  I might net 15k to 25k for a good performance win in a regular and then 75k to 100k+ for a same tier premium.  So, I'm pretty sure they're not advertised as 300-400% credit earnings.

The meta for the new 2.0 conquest mode is definitely turn fighting.  The DE Spitfire DB605 is a great turner that also has good altitude range and firepower and is a good choice if you're thinking German line.   The anniversary mission freebie premium also seems to be a hoot in tier IV, if you're thinking Russian line.

The thing about this game compared to tanks is that since you need to fly and aim and evade, ANY plane CAN be decent, if it fits your style and so improves your ability to earn points in the match.  Since you can actually see most of the enemies in your area (clouds and sun are "bushes" and can make invisiplanes), you can often pick your fight.  So, when you get a handle on what your premium is good against, pick on those targets and run from ones it's not good against. 

Tips:  the barracks and the crew training button are under the "crew" heading at the center top of the screen.  Picture help in this thread, here.

A crew must be at 100% in whatever plane they are trained on to earn xp in a premium.  So, my La-5 pilot at 100% gets xp in a premium.  I purchase the La-7 and move him to that, retraining him to 90% for credits.  I must fly the La-7 until he reaches 100% before I can get xp on him in a premium.  Feel free to PM if that was confusing, there's a couple premium plane crew xp confusion threads already.

Oh, and someone mentioned the IL-10 being a "GA", that's "ground attacker", meaning it's primarily designed for shooting ground targets (but they are also EXCELLENT counter-GA hunters/zone defenders as well).

The IL-1 is a "fighter".  Although...not really in my experience.  I only did a few matches with it, so maybe I just didn't "get it", but it wasn't fun and I felt I wasn't carrying my weight in matches.  My review on the IL-1 is here.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles
Oh yea. Forgot he's not accustomed to the plane groups. The format is like tanks but not exactly identical and do show similar wot icons for each type. In WOWP you have 5 categories: light fighters (LF) , multi role fighters (MRF) , heavy fighters (HF) , ground attack aircraft (GA), and the new one bombers (guess you can abbreviate this one however you like - BB, BR, BM etc). Once people settle on an acronym for bombers it'll catch on quick. 

Edited by ArrowZ_, 12 November 2017 - 10:44 AM.

Gothik_Knight #11 Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Airman Basic

• 143 battles
  • [TBIRD] TBIRD

View PostArrowZ_, on 12 November 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Oh yea. Forgot he's not accustomed to the plane groups. The format is like tanks but not exactly identical and do show similar wot icons for each type. In WOWP you have 5 categories: light fighters (LF) , multi role fighters (MRF) , heavy fighters (HF) , ground attack aircraft (GA), and the new one bombers (guess you can abbreviate this one however you like - BB, BR, BM etc). Once people settle on an acronym for bombers it'll catch on quick.

I can see it now.. once this game gets more popular again, there will BM's all over the place.  You won't be able to turn your head without seeing a BM.

MoWhiskey #12 Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles
Appreciate all the feedback, nice to have answers not moronic bashings as in wot.

trikke #13 Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostMoWhiskey, on 12 November 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Appreciate all the feedback, nice to have answers not moronic bashings as in wot.

yep, it is nice, isn't it?         so many helpful peeps here

really, it's been this way from the very beginning, kind of an oasis in the internet desert

i remember hearing that it's not the case on the RU forum, though 

i shouldn't say that, i don't speak russian so i shouldn't just repeat what i'm told

Edited by trikke, 12 November 2017 - 02:54 PM.

Mercsn #14 Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostMoWhiskey, on 12 November 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Tankers are soooo angry! lol.   Hopefully you have a good time here! :playing: :honoring:

Mercsn #15 Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

MoWhiskey, I thought I'd come back here and include a couple pics, from back-to-back games, to back up my statement that some pilots will find an affinity with certain craft and that, therefore, a premium may be just as good to a given player, in a given situation, as a maxed out tech tree aircraft.

Keep in mind the current meta to the game is turn-fighting.  And, your mileage may vary.  Each person will have different playstyle and may find different aircraft fit better.  But, in my experience with WoWP, some premium planes are just as potent as tech tree craft.  These two, in particular, have big nose guns that are difficult to hit with consistently, but when they do huge chunks of hitpoints fall off or things just blow up. It's a hoot!

IMO, these two premiums are gems in the mid-tier turn-fighting game.  I'm an average player: above average pilot with below average aim and since recently returning to the game my situational awareness is also still fairly low and because there are sooo many new aircraft than when I last played (3.5 yrs ago) and we now have RPG pilot perks and aircraft equipment, I'm also weak on target priority.  But, I've heard similar good things from better players who also have them.

With all that said, these two aircraft are possessed and treat me well.  The XFL-1 is tier 5 and available normally.  The P-39N-1 at tier 6, is not available through normal means, but there might still be an anniversary code available for it, google around, WG was giving them away through affiliates.

Also, note:  one game had a few humans on both teams, the other was just me vs a p-51 driver for humans. So, while shredding bots is fun, I can't say how the aircraft and I would fair vs just people.  Feel free to comment in my "ditch the bots" suggestion thread if you'd also prefer more human vs human "PvP" here.

XFL-1 premium:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

P-39-N1

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Mercsn, 14 November 2017 - 02:58 PM.

MoWhiskey #16 Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles

Nice...

I'm still trying to figure all the ins and outs of this.

Here is a question.  when you start a battle what is the difference in the red and white planes?

Also hoe do you know who's winning?

Seafodder #17 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Senior Airman

• 531 battles
  • [OTG-I] OTG-I

Red planes are the enemy.  Kill them.  White planes are the enemy.  Kill them.   :)

The red planes are the enemy team.  They are humans or bots if they're aren't enough humans to populate the game.  The white planes are the combat air patrol over bases.  They are always bots.

As far as who's winning, at the top center of the screen during the battle you can see which "cap circles" are held by which team.  You can also press left alt to see the current numbers.

MoWhiskey #18 Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Senior Airman

• 43 battles
Thanks. Just found a page with all kind of info will read up. Kinda havin bad day so far all losses but 1.

trikke #19 Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostMoWhiskey, on 14 November 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Thanks. Just found a page with all kind of info will read up. Kinda havin bad day so far all losses but 1.

same same, brother 

keep coming back...  i started a slow slide from 55% down to just over 50% in less than a week 

but not letting it affect me, as i had a ton of fun in almost every battle!

Seafodder #20 Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

Senior Airman

• 531 battles
  • [OTG-I] OTG-I

I had one of those days Sunday.  Flying a light fighter, head toward the fight, see a red approaching and line up for a quick head to head.  Oh crap!  It's a Heavy!   RIP.  Respawn, head back to the fight.  See a red on radar approaching from the side, look right, look down, RIP.  Yep, another Heavy.  Never even saw him.  Verified that it is possible to LOSE credits in a T6 running premium time.  The next battle was just as bad so I figured it was time to call it for the night (yeah, I lost money on that one too).

But yesterday was better and today is going ok as well so I'm writing Sunday off to "one of those things"...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users