That Lagg-3....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

StoptheViolins #1 Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles
The guns are a bit of a mess - rapid firing 12.7mm's coupled with a slower fire 23mm hub gun.   The Lagg-3 might be a bit easier if the center hub 23 had a different color tracer but it's white.  Of course, if it had the bomb and rocket loads it historically had...... 

pyantoryng #2 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

Oh, LaGG-3 had its variability removed a long time ago. We could use all sorts of combination of weapons on it, ranging from 37mm hub, 23mm hub, 20mm hub, 12.7mm hub, two or one synchronized 12.7mms, a pair of synchronized ShKAS or nothing, and RS-82s. My favourite would be 12.7mm pair plus 23mm...

Don't worry, just keep pulling the trigger and hope for the best. Don't squeeze it, fire in bursts so your cannon will heat slower.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ArrowZ_ #3 Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 12 November 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

Don't squeeze it, fire in bursts so your cannon will heat slower.

That. And read up on your plane's optimum gun ranges. It differs from plane to plane. Knowing those ranges will give you an idea how far away you need to unload to maximise hit registers and enabling RNG criticals. You can check this by looking at the green bars to the top right (under your currencies).

By the time you get the hang of it, you will have stopped firing at ranges beyond 600m+ for all calibers. Ideally you really shouldn't be firing your guns until your reach 300m (982 ft) or less. If you want to be complicated, you can bind the cannons and MGs to different keys. Though be warned not all planes are configured the same way. People have found that the hard way before. The game isn't designed that far ahead to accomodate individual caliber keybinds. It can work for certain aircrafts. I haven't tested which ones but I'm sure someone here can point them out.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 11 November 2017 - 11:50 PM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

hoom #4 Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

I generally enjoyed LAGG-3 a lot more than I'd expected.

It was my first T5 & coming from the I-16 it was shockingly fast, surprisingly lively for a plane with poor reputation.

The cannon gives it a good burst power that kills low health planes quickly :)

But the lack of sustained firepower gets old really fast when you're sitting on the [edited]of a Heavy repeatedly waiting for guns to cool :sceptic:

At least you don't have to worry about different shot speeds though like with the 37mm gunned planes, one aim-point works for both guns.

La-5 initially felt like a huge step up in speed & firepower but the more I played it I ran into similar lack of sustained firepower vs high health planes, is much more grunty with the 3* B-20 guns though :playing:

Edited by hoom, 13 November 2017 - 07:29 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

pyantoryng #5 Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 11 November 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

That. And read up on your plane's optimum gun ranges. It differs from plane to plane. Knowing those ranges will give you an idea how far away you need to unload to maximise hit registers and enabling RNG criticals. You can check this by looking at the green bars to the top right (under your currencies).

By the time you get the hang of it, you will have stopped firing at ranges beyond 600m+ for all calibers. Ideally you really shouldn't be firing your guns until your reach 300m (982 ft) or less. If you want to be complicated, you can bind the cannons and MGs to different keys. Though be warned not all planes are configured the same way. People have found that the hard way before. The game isn't designed that far ahead to accomodate individual caliber keybinds. It can work for certain aircrafts. I haven't tested which ones but I'm sure someone here can point them out.

That is not to say that you shouldn't try firing beyond optimal range so that you can kill an escaping enemy. Later on some cannons can have very long optimal range and thus the actual maximum range is a bit longer than that.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

jack_wdw #6 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles
I liked the premium tier iv lagg3-4 a lot

Tier v lagg3 has been nerfed down too much

pyantoryng #7 Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Postjack_wdw, on 14 November 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

I liked the premium tier iv lagg3-4 a lot

Tier v lagg3 has been nerfed down too much

The LaGG-3-4 is the normal LaGG-3 with the synchronized ShKAS machine guns and downtiered by one...centerline firepower at tier 4 is very fun...

jack_wdw #8 Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 14 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

The LaGG-3-4 is the normal LaGG-3 with the synchronized ShKAS machine guns and downtiered by one...centerline firepower at tier 4 is very fun...

Yup it was very much fun at tier IV

2x0.30 cal, 1x0.50cal and a 20mm hub cannon.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users