Guns Overheating at Different times

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Master Sergeant

• 218 battles

Hey all,

I've got about 8-9 T5/6 aircraft and I've begun to notice several have two different armaments: one for sustained fire and one that does a lot of damage but overheats quickly.

I saw in the keybindings where you can manually bind a key to each gun -- does anyone do this?  I am debating it, but it feels wonky to have to cycle one out to get the other one going.

What do you guys do?

Allow the first gun to overheat and keep firing til the 2nd does.

Have seperate fire controls for each gun

Burst fire so the heavier gun does not over-heat?

Like I said, it feels wonky now, but if you guys think it is worth doing to learn how to cycle the guns properly, I will do it.  Right now Im just holding LMB until both guns overheat (assuming Im on target).

hawkeyededic #2 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles
I have used gun groups since beta, they not only help with the different overheat times but also differences in aiming and range. I personally recommend it, just keep in mind you can not put multiple gun groups on one button, it's limited to one gun group per button.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

pyantoryng #3 Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
Maybe you feel like it's too much hassle to bind those weapon groups and actually use them...just burst fire...gets you out of trouble most of the time...:unsure:

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mercsn #4 Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles
I use two fire groups.  One for all and one for the largest caliber guns.  This way, if someone is trying to run away, I can try to snipe them with the larger guns without the smaller guns' tracer spam.  Also lets you open up more accurately from distance.  When I'm close in, I'll just fire all.  Even if the larger guns are overheated because I started with them, the smaller ones still fire.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Psicko23 #5 Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I don't. I just wait until I'm close up like sub 400 meters or so and tap my guns until they die. 

HazeGrayUnderway #6 Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles
I'm a simple guy.  Not a longtime, veteran player.  I just do what habits I built up from cannon-oriented planes do... Fire in controlled, aimed bursts.  I don't do other gimmicks.  The only time I hold the fire key down is if I am using an All-MG plane firing .303 / 12.7mm / .50 cal weapons.  Everything else like 20mm+, burst fire no matter what.

Ohaiyousoro #7 Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:41 AM

Airman Basic

• 48 battles

I try doing what HazeGrayUnderway does as well most of the time. I don't try to alter my key bindings. I tend to be forgetful about them. I just like to shoot enemy planes down for fun.

On a side note, I like the guns on my Tier V Spitfire. I'm kind of hesitant in getting the 20 mm cannons. I plan on researching it, but buying and using it is something that I might not consider. Any Spitfire users here, by the way? Would love your opinions regarding their guns.

I have several fragile shirts. They get ripped a lot. Not sure why.

hoom #8 Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

I've tried a cannon only binding but mostly felt I kept shooting it well within range of the MGs -> missing out on dps especially with my aim being pretty meh.

I've switched to a MG only binding.

But mostly I feel like I manage best dps with just pulse/burst fire on all guns.

Have been using the 20mm on Spitfire I, doing OK but I've been meaning to switch back to all MGs for comparison.

Certainly love the ability on P-40 to just hold down fire until stuff is dead, which is often sooner than I'd expect with 20mm armed planes.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Ohaiyousoro #9 Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Airman Basic

• 48 battles

hoom, thanks for the tip. I guess I'll do a comparison first once I get the 20 mm cannons on the Spitfire. Maybe I'll like an all-MG setup instead of a cannon-MG mix or vice-versa. Who knows, right?

Again, thanks!

Desmios #10 Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Master Sergeant

• 218 battles

View PostOhaiyousoro, on 11 November 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

I try doing what HazeGrayUnderway does as well most of the time. I don't try to alter my key bindings. I tend to be forgetful about them. I just like to shoot enemy planes down for fun.

On a side note, I like the guns on my Tier V Spitfire. I'm kind of hesitant in getting the 20 mm cannons. I plan on researching it, but buying and using it is something that I might not consider. Any Spitfire users here, by the way? Would love your opinions regarding their guns.

I have a spitfire and the 20mm cannons are amazing; you can kill full HP planes in literally a second or two.  Feels like flying a heavy fighter

pyantoryng #11 Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostOhaiyousoro, on 12 November 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

In 2.0, always take autocannons whenever you get the choice. Outside of select few cases, cannons reign supreme.

In later tier just about every tree outside of the USA use cannons anyway.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Furysghost #12 Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• 912 battles
  • [H2O] H2O

l was pretty stoked to get my Lag 5 then discovered the guns are near useless they heat up so fast ...what a disappointment.:angry:

3 auto cannons but they freeze up long before you can take down a full health fighter so bogus...have to fire tiny little bursts to keep them going.....

pyantoryng #13 Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostFurysghost, on 12 November 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

l was pretty stoked to get my Lag 5 then discovered the guns are near useless they heat up so fast ...what a disappointment.:angry:

3 auto cannons but they freeze up long before you can take down a full health fighter so bogus...have to fire tiny little bursts to keep them going.....

Stop holding the trigger for so long and repeatedly press your fire button instead.

It's the portion of the tree where most nations switch to all-cannon weapons. It's time to get used to it, and you will find success.

hoom #14 Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

So I played a couple of games with the MGs on Spitfire I.

MGs really lack range & they didn't feel like they were doing great damage.

Put the 20mm back on & played again, definitely better.

Edited by hoom, 12 November 2017 - 10:18 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

HazeGrayUnderway #15 Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View Posthoom, on 12 November 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

So I played a couple of games with the MGs on Spitfire I.

MGs really lack range & they didn't feel like they were doing great damage.

Put the 20mm back on & played again, definitely better.

I've come to appreciate the power of Cannons a lot more and for the sake of consistency, I prefer All Cannon planes now.  Whether it's a 20mm x4 Corsair or some Heavy Fighter or Ground Attack, that's what I like now.  MGs require a lot of time on target to do their work.  Cannons require a brief window.  Against some guys, a brief window is all you'll ever get in shooting at them.  A proper Boom & Zoom attack?  All you'll ever get is a brief window to shoot at someone.

I fly something like a Mustang and it takes ages for the .50 cals to work someone down and I need to keep that target focused.

I fly something like a Corsair with 20mm x4, I can watch the cannons go WOP WOP WOP WOP and see chunks of HP get ripped away quicker.  When I left my fully upgraded 20mm x4 F4U-1 to the Stock F4U-4 with .50 cals, it was painful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 12 November 2017 - 06:01 PM.

Ohaiyousoro #16 Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Airman Basic

• 48 battles
Based on what you guys are saying, I think I should get the 20 mm cannons on the Spitfire I. Alright. I think I'll do just that. Thanks a lot for the input, guys! Stay awesome! :honoring:

Zergling #17 Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 545 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

I have left click set to fire all, right click to fire Weapon Group 2, which is usually MGs.

HazeGrayUnderway #18 Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles
Cannons > MGs

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #19 Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 15 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 13 November 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Cannons > MGs

Not quite. Depends on tier, plane they are on, caliber, etc. 8x .303 Spitfire is subjectively better than 2/4 Spit. 6 x .50s Mustang is better than some cannons. 4x 30mm J7W1 will be far better than 4 30s on a 262, 20s are better on it. Etc.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

HazeGrayUnderway #20 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 13 November 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

Not quite. Depends on tier, plane they are on, caliber, etc. 8x .303 Spitfire is subjectively better than 2/4 Spit. 6 x .50s Mustang is better than some cannons. 4x 30mm J7W1 will be far better than 4 30s on a 262, 20s are better on it. Etc.

All I care about are guns that let me spend less time on target.  In general, MGs have me spend too much time plinking and wearing HP down while Cannons just rip HP away.  That is all I want because I've found as I've climbed up the tiers the time on target gets smaller and smaller.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users