I desperately need advice on the Oscar.

Oscar Hayabusa Ki-43-I Ki-43-II

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SithSteel #1 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:03 AM

Airman Basic

• 337 battles

Yeah, hi. So, like so many here, I'm new to World of Warplanes. I've been playing for the past few weeks and have made it up to T5. I've been having quite a bit of fun. Right now I've stuck with fighters and multiroles and have gone down one line for each nation: P-47 Thunderbolt, Ki-43 "Oscar", Focke-Wulf 190, Spitfire, and Yak-7. I haven't flown my Focke-Wulf, yet, but I've found that I've been able to do reasonably well with every plane I've flown so far with the exception of the Oscars. 

As far as the Ki-43-I goes, I got along with it well, enough. The lack of wing-mounted guns is a bit of a pain, but I was able to perform decently with it. Over the course of the two dozen or so battles I spent in it, I found that I hated the autocannon so I stuck with the machine guns. Now, at T4, that was fine and dandy. The upgraded machine guns were strong enough. While I didn't perform as consistently well in the Ki-43-I as I did in the Ki-27, I still thought it was just a slightly sub-par plane. The fantastic maneuverability stops it from being terrible. When I got to the Ki-43-II, though? Jeezus, man. This plane just sucks. First and foremost, this plane is fragile as hell. Yes, the entire line up to this point has been incredibly fragile, but its really noticeable in the Ki-43-II for one reason: the guns. Like the Ki-43-I, the Ki-43-II has an upgraded machine gun and an autocannon. The problem for me is that the more reliable machine gun just doesn't perform well against T5 and T6 planes. The damage is just too low for me to do what the Japanese fighters are supposed to do. And the autocannon? God, I hate the Ki-43-II's autocannon. It overheats too quickly, I can't aim well with it, and the damage dealt still seems to be pretty subpar compared to the other T5 planes I've flown.

So, yeah, I need some advice. 'Cuz every time I fly this plane I do it with a sense of dread.

Note: My pilot uses the improved accuracy skill and my one piece of equipment also increases my accuracy.

Pogo68 #2 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

My advice, forget about accuracy aids.

Just mount Lightened airframe, Control Surface Adjustment to maximize your primary asset, maneuverability.

Mount either Improved Covering or a Self Sealing Fuel Tank to help with the incoming damage.

Edited by Pogo68, 11 November 2017 - 08:30 AM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

SithSteel #3 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

Airman Basic

• 337 battles

View PostPogo68, on 11 November 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

My advice, forget about accuracy aids.

Just mount Lightened airframe, Control Surface Adjustment to maximize your primary asset, maneuverability.

Mount either Improved Covering or a Self Sealing Fuel Tank to help with the damage.

What's wrong with the accuracy upgrades?

Edited by SithSteel, 11 November 2017 - 06:35 AM.

ArrowZ_ #4 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

Accuracy upgrades only benefit wing mounted guns, not hub mounted due to the cone of fire spread WOWP has designed for each plane. Basically what I does is it reduces the spread of gun fire allowing you to deal loads of dmg close range and still be able to hit fairly good long ranges.

The KI line starts to shine at t7+. T6 is your first wing mounted aircraft - KI-61. I think from memory this bad boy has 2mgs and 2 canons, one set is hub, while the other is wing mounted. Pretty decent spread of fire, in which I would advice getting the aim marksman pilot skills. Focus your equipment upgrades with increasing your planes armor (reduced critical damage chance, more HP) and self sealing tank for fire resistance. You'll find the KIs catch on fire ALOT. Having at least a fire extenguisher, or choosing the fire pilot skill (first one on the left forgot the name, will greatly increase your chance to survive. Fire is the big killer to the KIs, amongst other punishing traits like having the lowest armor and health pool in the game. Your high manoeuvrability makes up for these weaknesses. But if you don't know how to use that to your advantage then you really shouldn't be flying one.

Hope that helps. GL with the Oscar! 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

SithSteel #5 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Airman Basic

• 337 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 11 November 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

Accuracy upgrades only benefit wing mounted guns, not hub mounted due to the cone of fire spread WOWP has designed for each plane. Basically what I does is it reduces the spread of gun fire allowing you to deal loads of dmg close range and still be able to hit fairly good long ranges.

The KI line starts to shine at t7+. T6 is your first wing mounted aircraft - KI-61. I think from memory this bad boy has 2mgs and 2 canons, one set is hub, while the other is wing mounted. Pretty decent spread of fire, in which I would advice getting the aim marksman pilot skills. Focus your equipment upgrades with increasing your planes armor (reduced critical damage chance, more HP) and self sealing tank for fire resistance. You'll find the KIs catch on fire ALOT. Having at least a fire extenguisher, or choosing the fire pilot skill (first one on the left forgot the name, will greatly increase your chance to survive. Fire is the big killer to the KIs, amongst other punishing traits like having the lowest armor and health pool in the game. Your high manoeuvrability makes up for these weaknesses. But if you don't know how to use that to your advantage then you really shouldn't be flying one.

I see. I see. Thank you very much for the explanation.

Mercsn #6 Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 11 November 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

View PostSithSteel, on 11 November 2017 - 01:07 AM, said:

I see. I see. Thank you very much for the explanation.

@ArrowZ

I'm going to disagree with this.  I use both marksman skills and the gunsight equipment as I moved through the LaGG-3, La-5, La-7 and on my Yak 3rd, as well.  All of these aircraft have nose mounted weaponry and in the case of the Yak, only 1 gun at all.  Having been the very first person in Beta to catch and prove (with pics) WG using auto-aim or aim assist, I have experience with WG's shooting mechanics. Although, I am also newly returned to the game, so I haven't kept up on what they've done with the game and its mechanics in the past 3.5 years.

I do notice an improvement when using skill perks and even the gunsight equipment on aircraft with centerline weapons.  Dispersion with WG has always been a bit of a magical thing, in this game or the tanks game.

Here, if you read the perk text, it all but flat out states that you get aim assist with it.  So, that's going to work to essentially guide your bullets into an enemy as long as you get them close enough with your manual aim (sort of like each aircraft gets a "gravity" and if your bullet is close enough to that, it will get pulled into the target).  The gunsight and, likely, the first marksmen perk work to reduce dispersion as well.  Even the first marksmen perk hints at autoaim/aim assist.

Dispersion will occur even with center mounted guns.  Fly straight and shoot and see where your tracers go. Same place? No?  Exactly.  That's your bullets dispersing, not going to the same spot.  My former shooting mechanics testing partner isn't playing anymore (shout out to Rev01ution!).  So, I can't load up a test room and test out the dispersion and aim assist mechanics quite as easily, but knowing WG and the fact that they've decidedly gone more "casual" and arcady in all three titles, would indicate that the shooting mechanics, skills and equipment will work as I'm describing.

Since returning, I've often been scoring hits thinking, "Man, I can't believe I'm hitting that guy." Which is exactly what I was thinking (and saying outloud to my wingmen) in Beta when they introduced auto-aim.  Either my aim really improved after not playing for 3 years, or it's awfully coincidental that I'm saying the same thing.

I've never been a good shot.  So, I've always relied on the gunsight for what little help it might offer.  Now that I return and find out the game is an RPG with skill perks, I've leaned heavily on the marksman perks.  And, noticed a difference once I did so.  Perhaps it's placebo.  I see that it's there, so I shoot better.  So, if there was dev discussion about this, I'd be happy to read over what they've said recently about dispersion, equipment, perks and shooting mechanics, if you can provide links or search keywords ideas.

Edit: confirmed on my La-7 that gunsight aids in tightening up nose gun dispersion.  Flew a mission on a clear day without it.  Then purchased it and flew a mission that had fog.  Even not being able to see the enemy craft for accurate aiming, I was landing more shots, more consistently with the gunsight equipped.  And, while I was doing it, I was thinking, "man, I can't believe I'm hitting that guy."

@SithSteel

I personally have never cared for planes that have mix n match firepower.  In the past (last played 6 months after release), I thoroughly enjoyed the Spitfire I at tier 5.  I ran only the MGs.  I was reticent to move into tier 6 where I'd need to use the canon to have enough range and punch to take out faster and tougher opponents. So, I know exactly what you mean, in regards to gunnery.  I recently tried the premium japanes fighter with the 30mm cannon.  They fire so completely differently than the MGs it's impossible to hit with both unless the target is not turning.

One thing you can do to help mitigate this, if you are a decent shot is to set different fire group hotkeys.  For instance, when trying my Bf110 c-6 after 3 years, I went in and set up they keybinds so that RMB will activate fire group 2 and LMB will activate all guns.  So, when I push RMB only the 30mm gun will fire.  If I'm trying to snipe somebody, this allows me to only see that single tracer.  As well as not heat up the MGs when I'm firing at a target that is out of their range.  This keybind strategy will work well with other big gun snipers like the Yak's, Me410 and any plane that has mix n match guns of drastically different ranges or bullet velocities.

In your example, as you close on a target, you could open up with your canon with RMB, then as you close in on a turn fight switch to LMB to fire all guns.  Sure, the canon will likely be overheated, but your MG will still fire and the canon will spit out rounds when they can.  This might allow you to get an earlier crit with canon by landing hits with them easier (not having the MG tracer spam block your view of where the canon tracers are going). You mention you have trouble aiming the canon so this might help.  If you use the mouse buttons as I've described, you'll have to rebind free-look to something else, though.

Also, you may try different combinations of ammo. Such as using improved ammo only in one or the other of your guns (or both, if you can afford it).  So that your faster firing guns may light targets on fire once you're in close.  Or, your canon may be more likely to score an early crit, helping to cripple your opponent as you first engage at longer range.

As for other tips with that line, I can't offer any as I've not played them.  However, one general strategy is to not be the first into a fight.  Gain as much altitude as you can, as this can be translated into speed later (both are "energy").  And, gaining altitude before an engagement means you won't have to pitch up once you're in the fight and burn your boost to keep from stalling.  Slower targets are easier targets, even in a turn fight.

Pick your targets based on what's most dangerous to you, initially.  So, you'll want to target other turn fighters before targeting a BnZ enemy.  Also, as the battle progresses, you may want to kill off somebody who's low on HP first, even if they aren't the most dangerous to you, simply to get their guns out of the fight and free up teammates from having to deal with them.  You can easily see hitpoints as you approach an engagement by pressing LALT (left alt) key.  (If you like the extra info this view gives you, you can change it from "press and hold" to "press" in the keybinds section so that you don't have to hold it.  I also recommend changing flaps to "press" from "press and hold" and to select the "manual flaps" from advanced options, since you're in a turn fighter, you want every bit of turn assist you can get.

Which gets us to equipment.  Pogo68 mentions using lightened airframe and improved control surfaces to help your biggest asset, maneuvering.  If it was me, I'd use those two and the gunsight (until someone shows me empirical proof that they don't aid centerline dispersion or benefit whatever aim-assist is present in the game mechanics).  Then, use your abilities to quickly take out those targets most dangerous to you, zeros, yaks, spitfires.

Once you get better, or if you come across a turn fighter that you have a greater affinity with, you may actually change it up and put speed boosting equipment on your turn fighter.  I have a friend who does very well with his yak equipped this way, but he's a better shot than me!

Also, don't be afraid to run from or not engage in a 1 vs many fight.  If its just light defense bots, maybe you can pull it off.  But if it's just you and you see more than one player or "player bot".  You may do well to fly towards friendlies or a friendly zone for the help of your AA and defense bots.   After a respawn, don't charge blindly into battle, if you're the only player in the area.  Wait for some teammates to respawn, or fly to where your team is strongest and help them clear that area.  Also, you may find success honing your gunnery skills while defending your own zones that get attacked by one or two red fighters or multiroles.

When you press alt while in the TAB map view, you will see icons for what type of fighter is in a zone.  If you see a multirole or fighter icon (diamond or teardrop) by itself in your zone, go help the defense bots kill him.  You may find that the enemy ai "player bots" or even other players had been enroute behind him.  Then you'll end up with fighters trickling in offering themselves up as sacrifice to you and your defense bots.   More practice, more score and easy 1 vs many fights with you and your defense bots being the many!

And...you may find that you just don't work with some aircraft.  If that happens, instead of getting down or feeling you need to grind through it, take a break from it and fly something that you think is fun.  This will keep you in a better state of mind, which will allow you to play better and enjoy the game more.  Then go back the plane you aren't do as well with.  It may take longer this way to get through that plane, but it beats just throwing it against the wall each match and bringing yourself down in the process.

Hopefully you find some of that helpful.  Good luck!

Edited by Mercsn, 11 November 2017 - 12:22 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

CamuMahubah #7 Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• 226 battles
I'm really noob and didn't know the Ki-43-II was bad or the -1 should be ran with machine guns or anything about this game at all.  I thought they were good planes and that I just needed to get better.

When I read YouTube comments on a video about the  -II saying how awful the plane was I took a moment to ponder my relative enjoyment of the planes.

I think I learned in the first few battles in the    
-1 that you shouldn't attempt to climb and fight.  I run the 20's and I tend to only turn while fighting staying at a comparatively level altitude compared to my opponent.  I let the enemy try every trick he can but I'm spinning around circling keeping my guns on them.  

Careful timed bursts are what is needed.  Using Universal ammo can be expensive but I need the fires and crits.  

I also like the special pilot skill that puts out fires when you dive.  

Fragile planes but you can out turn anything with the right equipment.  

I get rekt at times but I can usually get revenge  
next sortie when I figure out a pilot.  

You must stay with the herd as painful as it is at times...

My favorite thing about the two planes is they will beat on bots during resets if no humans are around.  Spin and kill machines.

StoptheViolins #8 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles

You really need to get used to the 20mm.  They have the punch to ensure you can take out your target before their buddies can come help.  Just do short bursts and you'll be fine.  

FYI, pretty much every plane will have cannons of some kind so get used to it.

Pogo68 #9 Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

The Golden rule about the KI-43, Don't get hit.

The moment you hear the sound of cannons hitting you, it's probably too late, but break, HARD, I mean flaps down, suck that stick to your gut turn.

Don't turn level, don't roll your plane then turn, and definitely, don't do barrel rolls to avoid the bullets.

Someone like me will just move the nose a bit and let you fly into the bullet stream.

Pull into a loop or where ever direction the top of your monitor is pointing, and turn, get out of the bullet stream, force an overshoot.

If you need too, roll while pulling the stick back (or the equivalent for mouse users).

When it does overshoot, roll while still pulling back on the stick to bring you back behind the bandit without having to make a full 360 turn.

If it's done right, you'll still be close enough to hit him hard.

You can fight in the vertical, the Ki is a pretty good vertical fighter.

You just can't stay in a pure climb, and you can't climb very high.

But, loops, Immelmans, vertical climbing scissors, descending scissors are viable.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

SithSteel #10 Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

Airman Basic

• 337 battles

Hi. So I took all of your advice into account and managed to markedly, I think, improve my performance in my Oscar. I would have responded to each and every one of your posts, but by the time I came back to the thread there was just too much to individually respond to. That said, I did read every post. Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciated it.

As for what you said about the Ki-61, ArrowZ_; yeah, I'm in love with this plane. In fact, just earlier today, one of the best games I've ever played was in the Ki-61. :)

Spoiler

Also tagged with Oscar, Hayabusa, Ki-43-I, Ki-43-II

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users