Are there any good multi-role fighters?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

KyourakuShunsui #1 Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:31 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 713 battles

I'm trying to play multi-role fighters (for the dailies mostly) but the US multi-role fighters (to me) seem HORRIBLE. Trying to play the F4F wildcat and it turns like a bomber and the guns are anemic. What multi-role fighters are actually good? Is it just a problem with US planes? Been trying the German multi-role fighters too and they seem slightly better but not by much.

I can usually carry in a Fighter, but in these multi-role fighters no amount of good gameplay seems to have much of an impact.

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
P-47 used to much OP, it still fares well, so long as you aren;t mounting bombs on it.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

pyantoryng #3 Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:14 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

It's a long way there, but J7W family kills really quickly.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

hoom #4 Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

'Nuff said :playing:

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Chrismasterski #5 Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:21 AM

Airman Basic

• 117 battles
F4F isn't that bad, even at stock its pretty good. Against normal fighters, you play it like a heavy fighter and against heavy fighters you play it like a normal fighter.

Dru83 #6 Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:14 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Many of the multi-role planes are boom and zoom planes. You can't expect to turn with other planes. Get altitude, build speed, dive in on the enemy, get some hits, and get out of dodge. Then, turn, climb, and repeat. Once you get past the Wildcat, things get a lot more fun with the Corsairs. Same thing is pretty much true with the Thunderbolt line, the T-bolts are way better and easier to play than their tier 4 and 5 counter parts.

The German FW line plays much the same except the American planes generally have better bombs and rockets. You can't turn with people, use your speed and altitude to ambush unsuspected folks. The only multi-roles that can really turn and burn are the Yak-7 line, but most of them don't carry bombs or rockets. The Il-16s in tier 3 and 4 are fun turning multi-roles though.

Pogo68 #7 Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
The Ar-197 is fun.
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Destroyer_Suzukaze #8 Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 277 battles
Yak 7 is pretty agile. The Russian line in general is pretty agile 

HazeGrayUnderway #9 Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

Corsair's fun and can sling great ordnance at Tier VI as a Boom & Zoom plane but there are far better Zoomers than her that will catch you.

On a climb?  You'll get caught.

On a dive and run?  You'll get caught.

On a straight and level egress?  You'll get caught.

And you don't have the turn ability to make up for it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 10 November 2017 - 05:35 AM.

Seafodder #10 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Senior Airman

• 531 battles
  • [OTG-I] OTG-I
Soooo...  I was working up toward the Corsair 'cause inverted gull wings are cool but HazeGrayUnderway (dang squids, probably an airedale) has taken the wind out of my sails.  So Yaks for MR?

Mercsn #11 Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

I was having a chat with a guy after match (who was unfortunately on the red team) who racked up a 15k+ score in an FW 190 A-5.  I've never had much success in this craft and also happened to be flying it that match...because I think it's a beautiful aircraft (and for the missions).

He explained:  start by killing fighters (which can outmaneuver you).  Pick a target that you think you can kill in the first pass.  Don't ever turn.  Shoot what gets in front of your guns.  The implied thing is that once the fighters are dead, you can out maneuver heavies or GA, so at that point you can switch from BnZ to turn fight them while being able to keep up if they try to run.

Back in the day years ago when I played, I enjoyed the American carrier based line because they had maneuverability, speed, toughness, and firepower in combination.  They were real jack of all trades.  The current FM and aircraft balance characteristics seem to have less differentiation between craft.  I remember F4Us used to be able to really speed away after a painful gun pass.  Diving acceleration seems to be less for heavy (historical weight, not game class) planes than I remember.  And...I haven't flown the Americans since returning to the game, recently.

Basically, keep your energy (speed and/or altitude) up and don't try to turn unless you have nobody within 1km of your tail.  As you approach a furball, hit left alt (you may want to go into keybind settings and change this to press instead of press and hold) so you can see who is low on hitpoints.  Try and guage where that aircraft will be.  It also helps if you pick an enemy who appears to be chasing another enemy.  They will likely be focused in on their target and flying somewhat predictably, giving you and easier shot to line up.  Since you'll be flying fast, you won't have long to adjust aim once you get in range.  Do what damage you can while swinging your nose maybe up to 30 degrees and then proceed on.  Usually other targets will end up in front of you as you fly through a zone, so try and shoot any that are within that 30 degree cone and keep your speed up.  Repeat.

If you get focused on a kill, a Spitfire, Zero, La-x or even maneuver spec'd Bf109 or a heavy that targets you as you slow down and start to turn to try for a kill. 

Then...with the kill ground targets mission daily...try and get kills in neutral zones by being cheap with enemy GA.  If you see them shooting a target in a neutral zone and they don't kill it, go for the kill on that target group (since only the plane killing the final piece of a target group gets credit for the actual kill, the mission requirement) to do your mission and get your team capture points.

Best of luck!

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

pyantoryng #12 Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostPogo68, on 10 November 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

The Ar-197 is fun.

Cheap too. The 1000 gold from fully completing Combat Recon can afford it should it goes on sale. Very powerful for the dogfight meta, though that style is pretty alien to the German planes in general.

The German Blohm und Voss line (high tier only, continued from Fw 190D) is multirole only for their capability to use R4M salvo rockets, but their revolver cannons pack a lot of punch too. Just make sure to have some free EXP to get those revolvers right away and you're set.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

comtedumas #13 Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles
  • [NIN-] NIN-
I was surprised by that F4F too when I got her all decked out and upgraded.  It’s far more nimble than you think at first, and the only thing it has a major problem with is zeros.   The F4U-1is a beast on ground targets, and once you get the cannons it can shred any other plane it gets before it.  Dive and climb on all multiroles and heavies need to be buffed, though.  
Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KyourakuShunsui #14 Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 713 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 10 November 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

I was surprised by that F4F too when I got her all decked out and upgraded.  It’s far more nimble than you think at first, and the only thing it has a major problem with is zeros.   The F4U-1is a beast on ground targets, and once you get the cannons it can shred any other plane it gets before it.  Dive and climb on all multiroles and heavies need to be buffed, though.  

I find it to be not nimble at all and that is part of the problem. The gun range is pretty bad, meaning you have to get close and you get out-maneuvered by most other planes. I can't wait to sell this damn thing.

Not to mention that it is so slow that it can't really "run and gun".

Edited by KyourakuShunsui, 10 November 2017 - 07:47 PM.

pyantoryng #15 Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
How did the F2A treat you...or did you FEXP to Wildcat?

KyourakuShunsui #16 Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 713 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 10 November 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

F2A was ok I guess. Don't remember it being as much of a pain. Probably because it is a lower tier so all of the planes are a little slower.

I just unlocked the Corsair and it is a PLEASURE to fly compared to the Wildcat. I'm loving the F4U-1 so far. I feel like I can contribute to the matches again. :)

HazeGrayUnderway #17 Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

View PostSeafodder, on 10 November 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

Soooo...  I was working up toward the Corsair 'cause inverted gull wings are cool but HazeGrayUnderway (dang squids, probably an airedale) has taken the wind out of my sails.  So Yaks for MR?

LOL

Don't get me wrong, Corsair is fun and she mainly features firepower over anything else on her.  It's very fun and satisfying when someone wants to "Joust" head on and you feed them 20mm x4 as well as possibly up to 8 HVAR rockets to the face.  You often see last minute thoughts of "I have made a mistake" in their flying.  As long as you understand the limitations of this plane and have the discipline to fly her right, she'll be fine.  But you really understand there are faster planes, better turning planes than you.  Smarter, disciplined flying will carry you further in the Corsair than relying on Engine Power and speed, advantages you think you have but really don't.  I have not given up on this line but I will say it's been tempered some.

View Postpyantoryng, on 10 November 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

​I actually liked F2A a lot.  She was a little less agile to the previous planes but she could still hang respectably in a dogfight.  Hell, I still have her Elited in my roster.  I cannot say the same about F4F, was very disappointed with that plane.  After the fun I had with F2A, it was a big letdown.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 10 November 2017 - 08:43 PM.

hoom #18 Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

You often see last minute thoughts of "I have made a mistake" in their flying

Can confirm having made this mistake :hiding:

Well flown Corsairs seem pretty scary to me.

Edited by hoom, 11 November 2017 - 02:25 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Mercsn #19 Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:40 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostKyourakuShunsui, on 10 November 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

F2A was ok I guess. Don't remember it being as much of a pain. Probably because it is a lower tier so all of the planes are a little slower.

I just unlocked the Corsair and it is a PLEASURE to fly compared to the Wildcat. I'm loving the F4U-1 so far. I feel like I can contribute to the matches again. :)

Hey, glad you found the next one to be more to your liking!  For me, back when I used to play, the "dud" was the ME410 (and to a lesser extend the Bf109z -couldn't aim the guns in high speed passes, for some reason) in the DE HF line.  I loved the Bf110 and Me262 on the other sides of those, though.  Some planes in a lineup just have a different flavor than their lineup-mates and as you point out, seem to have different strengths/weaknesses against other same tier craft.

With the middle of the road handling planes, it really seems to be key to pick your targets well as you enter an engagement.

So, if you see a zero, a spit, an HF, and and La, you might want to kill the La first.  With the logic being, the HF will be busy with somebody on his tail since he's not turny.  The zero and spit probably won't keep up with you if you just zoom through the area.  But, the La can probably keep up with you and turn with you and is maneuverable enough that it might not get somebody on his tail right away.  If you kill him first, you can come back and aim for the spit or zero if they're still alive on your second pass, if the HF is still alive after that, you can kill him in turns if he doesn't outclimb you.

That's just a random brainstorm example and not hard n fast rules.  Just trying to show that with a plane that is good in both speed and handling, but strong in neither, who you kill first and how you handle the fight after can have a big impact on success.

If you're fighting a HF, same type, or similar handling craft, you can play turn-fighter.  If you are up against better handling craft, then you will have to play BnZ.  So, the middle of the road multi-role planes require the player to be more versatile in their playing style. And punish you harder if you don't kill the right targets and handle the fight with the right tactics.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

aradragoon #20 Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:35 AM

Airman Basic

• 45 battles
I felt like the US multi roles were really good but I am sure that all multi roles are good in their own way. Just might be best to find a multi role that meshes well with your play style.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users