Help with Pilot skills

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Rebeldad #1 Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:00 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
Anyone got a decent link or suggestions on what pilot skills to take for each style/type of aircraft? Thanks for any help and advice.

Dru83 #2 Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Try this one:

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/50392-pilot-academy-crew-skills/

It's not just enough to know whether you're flying a fighter or a multi-role, you also need to know if you're flying a turn and burn plane or a boom and zoom plane. The general rule with skills is to boost your plane's strengths.

Mercsn #3 Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

I disagree a little bit on the boosting a planes strengths theory.  Some planes, Zeros and Yaks, for instance are going to outturn whatever they face regardless.  MOAR turning can end up being overkill.  So, at that point, spec'ing into less dispersion may help you kill targets faster.  Spec'ing into speed might help you stay on a faster enemy who is fleeing long enough to get the kill or a critical that give you time to finish him off.

For the BnZ craft with bad turning though, and especially heavies with long boost, building on their strengths (speed boosting items/skills) is probably the way to go...unless you find yourself losing fights to other similar craft.

The middle of the road aircraft, you probably have to decide how you prefer to play and set them up to that.   For instance, I tried my La-5 as both speed spec'd (skill perks and equipment) as well as turn spec'd.  I loved being able to get my guns on zeros and spitfires as turn spec'd but felt it was overkill for other planes and hampered me in traveling to zones needing help or chasing fleeing enemies.  So, I tried speed spec and it solved the problems I wanted to solve.  But...then I was having trouble with the zeros and spitfires and decided more of the battle was happening in the furball and that I was doing better by being able to keep my guns on the turny enemies rather than keeping up with the faster ones.  So, I went back to turn spec.

Personally, I don't like the system.  Back in the old days, you knew roughly what plane could do what.  Now, with equipment, skill perks, consumables, you can never be certain what a human enemy will be capable of. It's almost more like an RPG than an airplane game in that regard: my 2 cents on it.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Jaguardian #4 Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1 battle

View PostMercsn, on 10 November 2017 - 03:39 AM, said:

I disagree a little bit on the boosting a planes strengths theory.  Some planes, Zeros and Yaks, for instance are going to outturn whatever they face regardless.  MOAR turning can end up being overkill.  So, at that point, spec'ing into less dispersion may help you kill targets faster.  Spec'ing into speed might help you stay on a faster enemy who is fleeing long enough to get the kill or a critical that give you time to finish him off.

Except another Zero or Yak that is spec'ed better than you.  Turning faster will get you on that faster planes tail sooner where as adding speed will get you on their tail slower because you gave up some turning.  Percentage wise you will increase the planes turning more than you would increase the speed so I would disagree with your statement and say it still would be better to turn sharper so you get on the enemies tail sooner so you would be closer and possibly land more hits.

Edited by Jaguardian, 10 November 2017 - 01:23 PM.

Rebeldad #5 Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
Thanks for all the great advice men. Appreciate it.

Mercsn #6 Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View PostRebeldad, on 10 November 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Thanks for all the great advice men. Appreciate it.

View PostJaguardian, on 10 November 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Except another Zero or Yak that is spec'ed better than you.  Turning faster will get you on that faster planes tail sooner where as adding speed will get you on their tail slower because you gave up some turning.  Percentage wise you will increase the planes turning more than you would increase the speed so I would disagree with your statement and say it still would be better to turn sharper so you get on the enemies tail sooner so you would be closer and possibly land more hits.

Rebaldad, Happy to help give you things to think about!

Jaguardian, it can go either way.  Even if the other turny plane is more turny because he spec'd into maneuvering, you can still get him if you get the drop on him, get started turning sooner, use flaps and brakes, use consumables...or get him while he's attacking someone else.

I see very few purely 1 v 1 engagements in conquest.  The few that I have been in vs a more maneuverable craft usually end 50/50.  A lot of times the guy will get bored of me being a difficult target and try to disengage to go find someone he can kill quickly or just make some huge mistake that allows me to get a good burst on him and crit wings or tail, thus turning the tide...or someone else shows up and finishes him or me off.  Again, very little pure 1 v 1.

I've had yaks, zeros and spits shot of my La-5's tail by defense bots while maneuvering to save my life.

I've had the more maneuverable aircraft give up when I wasn't being an easy enough kill and switch to something else that got in front of their guns (I didn't check, but I'd assume this is a bot behavior and new/less skilled player behavior).  That switch turned the fight from me being purely defensive and guaranteed to lose eventually, to being able to kill my former attacker, who had a more maneuverable craft.  Again, that match was my La-5 vs more turny types. So, the fight would have been easier had I been in a speed spec'd yak or spit myself.

The last few days I've done a few matches grouped up with a guy who flies a yak.  He does really well.  And he's set up for speed.  In his words, "It turns just fine, so I want to go faster."

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users