3 person "flights" and MM

friends match maker mm groups balance suggestions devs dev GM WG

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Firedamned #1 Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 224 battles
I recently returned to WoWP after release 2.0 and have been enjoying the game for several days now. I enjoyed it so much that I went ahead and paid for the premium account, and I was even able to convince my brother and another long time friend to download the game and give it another go. My good friend was instantly hooked, and decided to go "premium" just like I had. We then convinced my brother to join us for some group PvP fun. My brother spent about 45 mins staring at the game launcher, while we all anxiously awaited the download progress bar to finish doing what it does. He finally gets into the game, we're all excited to finally fly together once again only to find out....

There are no 3 person flight groups.... 

What the ever love'n heck is going on here???

Turns out WoWP is the only WG title where you can't have a group of 3, regardless of your premium account status. Reason being? After some quick searching, it turns out that folks in a flight group of 3 have over a 60% win rating, thus WG has felt that it was unfair to the players on the opposing team, and decided to pull the plug altogether on a three person flight group. This really confused me, because my long time friend and I had been grouped in a two man flight for around 20 matches while we waited for my brother to get home and download the game. The two of us only lost two matches out of 20. If WG's reasoning behind not allowing three man squads is due to an "unbalanced" winning percentage, then surely our win rating while grouped in a two man group would also throw the numbers way off? And if our numbers throw the win percentage out of whack, are they going to get rid of two man flights? C'mon now... you're basically saying "screw your friends, you're on your own." 

Needless to say, all three of us were hugely disappointed... especially my brother who basically just wasted 45 mins downloading the game. Thankfully, he didn't go premium yet. 

I understand the desire for WG to want to make the game fun for everyone - and rightfully so. But I have to think there are a LOT of better ways to make the game fair and balanced for everyone, without removing three person groups. After all, if we're trying to make the game fun for everyone, shouldn't we be allowed to have three person groups, just like every other WG title? 

So the three of us began to come up with ways to balance out a three person group. 

The first thing that came to everyone's mind was to do it via match maker. Quite simply, if there's a three person group on one team, then there MUST be a three person group on the opposing team. In the event that there are no other three person teams in the MM, then set the three person group up against two opposing two man groups. Yes, this will very likely mean a longer wait time while in queue, but that seems like a fair enough trade off for being grouped with your buds, who you're presumably on voice chat with anyway. And with what appears to be a HUGE swell in the number of players coming back to WoWP, it seems like the effects of added wait times in the MM will be kept to a minimum, especially at lower tiers. 

I'm curious if anyone else has any ideas on how WG can bring back three man flights, while trying to keep it fair and balanced for everyone else. 

Thank in advance, and happy flying. 

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• 216 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

tree man flights wash 2 stronk.

We've been living without it for 2 and a half years. :sceptic:

I whole heartedly agree with you, good news is the three man flights might be re-enabled if the devs wish it to be so.

Wait, that's not really good news.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

FIight #3 Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2712 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 08 November 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

tree man flights wash 2 stronk.

We've been living without it for 2 and a half years. :sceptic:

I whole heartedly agree with you, good news is the three man flights might be re-enabled if the devs wish it to be so.

Wait, that's not really good news.

with so few human players, 3 man flights would be more than OP: if coordinated well, they could win 100% of the match;

e.g. if 3 me-1092 in a flight, no planes would survive 903*3 = 2709 firepower more than a second.

Edited by Einssniper, 09 November 2017 - 03:53 AM.

Orion03 #4 Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 530 battles
yeah it's because there's only 1-4 humans per side in a match.

Wombatmetal #5 Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

• 750 battles

View PostFiredamned, on 08 November 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

I recently returned to WoWP after release 2.0 and have been enjoying the game for several days now. I enjoyed it so much that I went ahead and paid for the premium account, and I was even able to convince my brother and another long time friend to download the game and give it another go. My good friend was instantly hooked, and decided to go "premium" just like I had. We then convinced my brother to join us for some group PvP fun. My brother spent about 45 mins staring at the game launcher, while we all anxiously awaited the download progress bar to finish doing what it does. He finally gets into the game, we're all excited to finally fly together once again only to find out....

There are no 3 person flight groups.... 

What the ever love'n heck is going on here???

Turns out WoWP is the only WG title where you can't have a group of 3, regardless of your premium account status. Reason being? After some quick searching, it turns out that folks in a flight group of 3 have over a 60% win rating, thus WG has felt that it was unfair to the players on the opposing team, and decided to pull the plug altogether on a three person flight group. This really confused me, because my long time friend and I had been grouped in a two man flight for around 20 matches while we waited for my brother to get home and download the game. The two of us only lost two matches out of 20. If WG's reasoning behind not allowing three man squads is due to an "unbalanced" winning percentage, then surely our win rating while grouped in a two man group would also throw the numbers way off? And if our numbers throw the win percentage out of whack, are they going to get rid of two man flights? C'mon now... you're basically saying "screw your friends, you're on your own." 

Needless to say, all three of us were hugely disappointed... especially my brother who basically just wasted 45 mins downloading the game. Thankfully, he didn't go premium yet. 

I understand the desire for WG to want to make the game fun for everyone - and rightfully so. But I have to think there are a LOT of better ways to make the game fair and balanced for everyone, without removing three person groups. After all, if we're trying to make the game fun for everyone, shouldn't we be allowed to have three person groups, just like every other WG title? 

So the three of us began to come up with ways to balance out a three person group. 

The first thing that came to everyone's mind was to do it via match maker. Quite simply, if there's a three person group on one team, then there MUST be a three person group on the opposing team. In the event that there are no other three person teams in the MM, then set the three person group up against two opposing two man groups. Yes, this will very likely mean a longer wait time while in queue, but that seems like a fair enough trade off for being grouped with your buds, who you're presumably on voice chat with anyway. And with what appears to be a HUGE swell in the number of players coming back to WoWP, it seems like the effects of added wait times in the MM will be kept to a minimum, especially at lower tiers. 

I'm curious if anyone else has any ideas on how WG can bring back three man flights, while trying to keep it fair and balanced for everyone else. 

Thank in advance, and happy flying. 

The WR for 3 man flights may have been over 60%, but there were plenty of players with near 100% WR in them at low tier.  If they were to come back I would say only tiers 6+, with two man flights at the lower tiers

Mercsn #6 Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

I've been away for 3 or 4 years, whatever, shortly after launch, and in that time WG, at some point, decided to add bots in on pvp matches to fill out the teams instead of decreasing the team size as was done in the past.  So, often, I get matches where there are only 1 or 2 humans per team.  So, unless that 3 man flight is significantly worse than bots, it would be very OP, when you factor in teamwork.  I mean, I've flighted up with some people that did well in matches and even without comms or knowing their style it generally made the match much easier as long as the bots on our team weren't very stupid or the other team didn't have a great player.

I agree however, that 3 man flights should be a thing.   In your list of ways to 'fix' this, you should include only using bots in a co-op, "pve" mode instead of pvp.  That way, there would be no issue with 3 friends grouping up.  There would also be no issue with bots deciding a match in a "pvp" game.

At the match summary screen, you'll notice that several, sometimes most, of your teammates have the + sign next to their name greyed out and have a simple name.  Bots.

Edited by Mercsn, 09 November 2017 - 07:20 AM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

trikke #7 Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

• 1490 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostFiredamned, on 08 November 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

. And with what appears to be a HUGE swell in the number of players coming back to WoWP

has WG released any numbers since 2.0?
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Psicko23 #8 Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
 Persha messed up with 1.6 that made a skill based mm that made you wait 20 minutes up to an hour for a 1vs1. This was done after 1.5 which changed the flight mechanics, ruined the joystick controls, and a lot more which made a lot of people leave in 1.5. In 1.7 they made a special mm for us in the na region to get a minimum of a 3v3. However Persha messed it up and it only did 3v3 battles even when there could have been a 6v6 or even a 12v12. Since we were only getting 3v3 they got rid of 3 man flights because it was a 3 man flight vs non flighted most of the time. They also couldn't get their auto flight finder(that no one really used) to make a 3 man flight. So they got rid of 3 man flights. 

Pen3 #9 Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 368 battles
  • [RGJ] RGJ
I think they want to avoid a flight of 3 light fighters at all cost. If they force you to play different classes in a 3 man flight, i am fine with that.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 425 battles
Why stop at 3 man flights. Might as well go large scale and give an option to create squadrons of 10-15 pilots for a more concentrative teamwork environment. Ofcourse they would have to create an appropriate mode/event for this feature to work.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Mercsn #11 Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 10 November 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Why stop at 3 man flights. Might as well go large scale and give an option to create squadrons of 10-15 pilots for a more concentrative teamwork environment. Ofcourse they would have to create an appropriate mode/event for this feature to work.

doesn't WoT already have that mode?! lol   WG needs some management capable of...managing.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Charbydis #12 Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 72 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

lmbo

Edited by Charbydis, 11 November 2017 - 01:26 PM.

trikke #13 Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

• 1490 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostPen3, on 10 November 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

I think they want to avoid a flight of 3 light fighters at all cost. If they force you to play different classes in a 3 man flight, i am fine with that.

that would really be helpful in-game, so i would support that

if i had any input at all, which we likely do not

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Also tagged with friends, match maker, mm, groups, balance, suggestions, devs, dev, GM, WG

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users