Testing Speed = Distance/Time 2017.11.06 Tinfoil Hat Time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MARS_REVENANT #1 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5737 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

WOWP 2.0 feels slower, like the planes are flying through thick liquid, or like a cyclist going uphill with wind blowing in his face and it has just started to rain.

In this test I took note of the speed shown on the HUD as well as the distance to target and timed every 1000m intervals. My sense was that they scaled the distances x2 of what they were showing, or they fractionated the speed /2 of what they were showing. Well I wasnt right, but I wasnt wrong either.

From 3000m - 2000m took 9.09 seconds
From 2000m - 1000m took 9.31 seconds.
That works out to an average of 9.2s/1000m.
Converting that to speed is 391.3km/h But you notice in the game the speed was pretty steady at about 483km/h.

This I believe is one of the reasons the planes feel slower than they did pre 2.0.

Test for yourself and let me know your results.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Mercsn #2 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Post this on EU and I'm sure WG will come out and say it's a bug with the HUD or the distance readout.  That's what happened in beta when I first caught them adding in severe auto-aim and somebody posted my pics to EU. /shrug

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Heibges #3 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles

Very interesting.

But the game has always felt slow to me.

One problem is the scaling of the terrain. Just like in real life, the higher you are up, the slower you fell like you are going. Because they downscaled the terrain to make you feel like you are at a higher altitude, you always feel like you are going slow.

Lack of frame of reference. Tons of other flying games use a variety of little tricks to give you the sensation of speed. WoWp will have some very light clouds that make you feel like you are going fast when going through them, but then once you clear them it feels like you are going slow again.

Lack of sound variation.  Because the plane sounds are so monotone, you miss the part of experience.

The flying in any of the Grand Theft Auto games makes it feel like you are going faster than in this game.

Edited by Heibges, 08 November 2017 - 12:19 AM.

"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

Mercsn #4 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I think they did this way back in beta where they slowed it down to make it more accessible.  But...that's a pretty big difference shown in the empirical data from his test.  So, in this case, they're trying to increase the "feel" of speed, by having a higher speed displayed.

The other thing that is bugging me right now, about speed, is that the aircraft speeds listed seem to have no bearing on what speed the aircraft will actually attain in game.  Further, altitude, at least in the spec sheet, has no effect.  They used to have different speeds listed for optimum and sea level.

Zapperguy #5 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

You may be on to something, Mars. But, then again this is WG and you have to look at everything with a skeptical eye. Maybe the airspeed indicator is as reliable/accurate as the altimeter.

Spoiler

:facepalm:

FIight #6 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5069 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostZapperguy, on 07 November 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

You may be on to something, Mars. But, then again this is WG and you have to look at everything with a skeptical eye. Maybe the airspeed indicator is as reliable/accurate as the altimeter.

Spoiler

barometric and radar altitude differ, barometric altitude is your actual altitude compared to sea level, and radar altitude

is the absolute distance from you to the ground.

Edited by Einssniper, 08 November 2017 - 01:31 AM.

Colddawg #7 Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1926 battles

WG is terrible at scaling.  Look at Warships.

LOOK AT THIS TINY TRUCK!

Keep your head on the swivel.

Mercsn #8 Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostZapperguy, on 07 November 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

Spoiler

View PostEinssniper, on 07 November 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

barometric and radar altitude differ, barometric altitude is your actual altitude compared to sea level, and radar altitude

is the absolute distance from you to the ground.

The problem is that the SETTING to SWITCH between both types of readout is GONE.  Which has actually been annoying the hell outa me too!

Howdy Zapper!

Edited by Mercsn, 09 November 2017 - 05:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users