Ordinance and Airspeed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

why_u_heff_to_be_mad #1 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Airman Basic

• 204 battles

Hi,

Do Bombs/rockets still detract from your air speed after they've been used (and are reloading)? 

pyantoryng #2 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
Since the penalty is barely noticeable I think the gain would be equally barely noticeable if any...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

soydivision #3 Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 155 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Good question.  Seems testable... level flight, note speed, then drop all ordnance and see if speed changes.

KloudRains #4 Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 775 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postsoydivision, on 07 November 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Good question.  Seems testable... level flight, note speed, then drop all ordnance and see if speed changes.

This needs to be done with more care than is obvious because it takes awhile to reach stable, max speed. On the whole such drag is negligible here. I suggest best to drop concern about it.

With real aircraft the launchers and racks do have a noticible drag penalty after ordnance release. Mostly form drag with some induced drag as the weight causes a very minor increase in angle of attack at a given speed and g load. The drag is enough on some real fighters that provision is made to jettison the launchers when in dire straits. I did it once in 15 years. 

"Throw a nickel on the grass..."

GhostPrime #5 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View Postwhy_u_heff_to_be_mad, on 07 November 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

Hi,

Do Bombs/rockets still detract from your air speed after they've been used (and are reloading)? 

Yes. You will see the hit to your aircraft's performance in the hangar when you add bombs and rockets. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Cenotaph #6 Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 311 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 08 November 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

Yes. You will see the hit to your aircraft's performance in the hangar when you add bombs and rockets. 

Nice of you to reply, but that isn't what he asked at all...

His question, to clarify it for you, since you don't quite comprehend... is as follows.

After you have used a full load of ordnance... do you still suffer the airspeed penalties until the reload has completed.

Now most of us know WG well enough to assume that the answer is yes... the game isn't programmed to notice the difference between full load vs half load vs empty load.

If you happen to know differently, now that the OP's question has been spelled out for you, I invite you to provide correct information regarding the matter.

GhostPrime #7 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:13 AM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostCenotaph, on 07 November 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Nice of you to reply, but that isn't what he asked at all...

His question, to clarify it for you, since you don't quite comprehend... is as follows.

After you have used a full load of ordnance... do you still suffer the airspeed penalties until the reload has completed.

Now most of us know WG well enough to assume that the answer is yes... the game isn't programmed to notice the difference between full load vs half load vs empty load.

If you happen to know differently, now that the OP's question has been spelled out for you, I invite you to provide correct information regarding the matter.

I apologize I may not have been clear enough, please allow me to explain.Yes. When you apply bombs or rockets in the hangar you will see the hit to the stats on your plane while in your hangar. This does not change when you are in game after dropping bombs or using rockets. The stat change is constant until the are unequipped from the aircraft. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Cenotaph #8 Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 311 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 08 November 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

I apologize I may not have been clear enough, please allow me to explain.Yes. When you apply bombs or rockets in the hangar you will see the hit to the stats on your plane while in your hangar. This does not change when you are in game after dropping bombs or using rockets. The stat change is constant until the are unequipped from the aircraft. 

There ya go~  :great:

hoom #9 Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

This does not change when you are in game after dropping bombs or using rockets. The stat change is constant until the are unequipped from the aircraft. 

Thks for clarification :)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Caecias #10 Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostGhostPrime, on 07 November 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

IMHO I would like to see this return to the previous flight model when performance was updated in real time... not having it update in game removes a key strategic aspect of flying planes with ordnances. 

Edited by Caecias, 09 November 2017 - 03:30 AM.

Cenotaph #11 Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 311 battles

View PostCaecias, on 08 November 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

IMHO I would like to see this return to the previous flight model when performance was updated in real time... not having it update in game removes a key strategic aspect of flying planes with ordinances. 

Oh wow, I'll be honest... I'm completely blown away that WG would have actually modeled dynamic weight corrections before.

Seems like something they couldn't be bothered with.

That said, I'm not shocked in the least that they removed it...  :sceptic:

hoom #12 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

I think it makes sense.

In the old version with no respawns going in for ground attack early/dumping ordnance for better aerial performance gives a bit of extra depth.

In the new version with respawns & aiming for a more simple gameplay having a fixed impact life easier for us non-sim people.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Caecias #13 Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Posthoom, on 08 November 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

I think it makes sense.

In the old version with no respawns going in for ground attack early/dumping ordnance for better aerial performance gives a bit of extra depth.

In the new version with respawns & aiming for a more simple gameplay having a fixed impact life easier for us non-sim people.

Trivializing a basic concept such as load out for flight dynamics is a mistake.  Being non-sim person has nothing to do with it.  In CoD, or CSGO, the weapon in your hand slows your running and jump height.... sheathing it gives you your natural advantage of top speed and/or jumping...  why should flight be any different?  In fact, it's a small piece of reality that with out it, turns the game into a cartoon, and frightfully remedial.

This is not a "sim" - not even close - neither was 1.9 or previous versions.  There is no realistic inertia model; altitude compression is bascially non-existent and oversimplified; critical speeds do not result in damaged aircraft; no true damage model or flight control suppression upon damage; no weather model; ammo is unlimited; aim is randomized and not true to sight; no navigation model; you don't even take off or land...   no JTAC assignments for ground attacks; no IFF for air to air  --  if you want to see a basic sim, check out DCS world....  this game has never been a "sim"; but at that, it should not be the 1995 version of X-wing fighter, either.

Small characteristics of load out are necessary to bring a small modicum of realism to the strategy of dog fighting, even for this arcade game.

Edited by Caecias, 08 November 2017 - 10:05 PM.

Caecias #14 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostCenotaph, on 08 November 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

Oh wow, I'll be honest... I'm completely blown away that WG would have actually modeled dynamic weight corrections before.

The previous flight model for versions 1.x was adequate for an arcade game such as this - in fact, it was incredibly well done and not difficult to understand, even for neophytes to flying.

Edited by Caecias, 08 November 2017 - 10:10 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #15 Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The multiple times I've run a MR with Bombs and rockets I haven't found them useful beyond the initial dump as I usually embroiled in dogfighting after that.

Reloading rockets also makes taking out bomber flights really gamey. :hiding:

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 08 November 2017 - 10:25 PM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Destroyer_Suzukaze #16 Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 277 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 08 November 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

I think it's simply forcing players to make choices when setting up a plane. Choice in upgrades, crew slill, and setup can all align to provide an advantage if you play your cards right. Part of the meta game, not laziness at all

Caecias #17 Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 08 November 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

I think it's simply forcing players to make choices when setting up a plane. Choice in upgrades, crew slill, and setup can all align to provide an advantage if you play your cards right. Part of the meta game, not laziness at all

There is a certain strategic element that is lost for multi-role fighters that is lost when they lose their dynamic after dropping ordnance...   they are called "multi-role" for a reason. 

Edited by Caecias, 09 November 2017 - 03:28 AM.

Bobby_Tables #18 Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Continuing my run of snarky replies for today:

https://www.englishgrammar.org/ordinance-vs-ordnance/

Dictionary

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/
adjective
NORTH AMERICANinformal

1. (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
    "the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
    • cranky; irritable.
      "Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 09 November 2017 - 03:15 AM.

Caecias #19 Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostBobby_Tables, on 08 November 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Continuing my run of snarky replies for today:

https://www.englishgrammar.org/ordinance-vs-ordnance/

Dictionary

snark·y
ˈsnärkē/
adjective
NORTH AMERICANinformal

1. (of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
    "the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
    • cranky; irritable.
      "Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

I hate auto spell check; good eyes and nice catch.

Edited by Caecias, 09 November 2017 - 03:32 AM.

Einssniper #20 Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

well good thing is, they don't affect turn rate anymore, so just get some extra boost and you

will be fine dogfighting even with the ordnance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users