IL-2mod Video guide review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The attacker class is another supporting role aircraft in World of Warplanes, but like the other supporting class -bombers- they play an important and intrinsic role in the flow and outcome of every battle.  Unlike fighters, multiroles and heavies the main purpose of attack aircraft is the elimination of targets on the ground and contributing to the capture of influence points on the map by destroying said ground targets.

Attackers can make the job of their teammates easier by eliminating antiaircraft guns; in fact, the elimination of these should be a high priority for attack class aircraft, as their heavy skin and armored frames are capable of withstanding the damage that AA guns put out upon the first aircraft to wander into their field of fire.  Fewer AA guns on the ground mean that less damage is being done to your teammates as they battle for control of the sky over the capture zone.  This makes it less likely that players on your team will be shot down, or that friendly bot planes will be forced to take defensive action when fired upon, letting both human and AI elements of your team focus on what they should be doing: shooting down enemy planes.

In general attack aircraft are the slowest in game, so the choices made by their pilots at the beginning of a match can have far-reaching consequences when it comes to the outcome of the battle.  Here's what I mean; target priority.  There are a variety of capture zones in Conquest mode, and each of them does something different for the team that holds it.  Simple garrisons only generate points for the controlling team and provide no other benefit.  They are needed for victory, but are the lowest priority for bombers and attack aircraft; attempt capture on these only if there is nothing else to capture.  Next up is the airbase/repair facility.  These have hardened targets that will require your rockets and bombs to destroy, but also have defense aircraft that your fighters can shoot down to capture the field.  Next is the Communications Facility, which can call in bombers to assail your enemy.  That's a high priority to capture because it will force the enemy to split their aircraft between countering the bombers and countering your team.  Next is the Military Base, which fires rockets at enemy holdings with no opportunity to stop the incoming fire.  The highest priority for bombers and attackers is the Industrial Plant, which can ONLY be captured by attackers and bombers, as it has no defense aircraft.

The most effective attack pilots know their aircraft and their weapons inside and out.  They know exactly how many of their rockets and bombs it will take to destroy a single target with no waste, allowing them to make the most efficient use of each reload of ordnance they receive in a battle.  The effective attack aircraft pilot is also not shy about entering into aerial combat when the situation calls for it; just don't let the air battle distract you from what you should be doing: pounding the ground.

Also, many thanks to Gaming_Bear of the EU server for visiting over here on NA and flighting up with me for this!

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #2 Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:45 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

Using Marina is almost cheating in 2.0...because entire armored sections of targets can be burnt to crisps given something nearby to start fire with, and especially effective against AA with armored parts as the gun itself and the unarmored part tend to have enough HP to trigger fire. Probably to compensate the crappy bombing accuracy these days...

I actually struggle to do stuff in LBSh when I plonked IL-40P's pilot into it...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Zigfreid #3 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1163 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Nice video, made me laugh.:honoring:

gerr22 #4 Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 290 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
guys try Marina in a tsh 3 much more fun she really does rock at t3 and i have a 5 skill tail gunner to back her very good fun

GhostPrime #5 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
Great Video Magus! 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postpyantoryng, on 06 November 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

Using Marina is almost cheating in 2.0...because entire armored sections of targets can be burnt to crisps given something nearby to start fire with, and especially effective against AA with armored parts as the gun itself and the unarmored part tend to have enough HP to trigger fire. Probably to compensate the crappy bombing accuracy these days...

I actually struggle to do stuff in LBSh when I plonked IL-40P's pilot into it...

I took over an entire mining plant on my own using just guns.  I wanted to see if it could be done, it took only slightly longer because you can set a target on fire and move on to the next one quickly.  Basically once the skill activates, just spray bullets everywhere and you will set half the sector on fire.

I'm thinking they will remove the ability to burn armored targets, but until then... fire away!

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Also tagged with IL-2mod, Video, guide, review

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users