Ground Targets?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

OldFrog75 #1 Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Airman Basic

• 52 battles

Hello everyone.  New player here. 

Are the little colored squares on the ground targets a player can shoot for points or are they just boundary markers for an important target in between them?

SnickerDoodle99 #2 Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

Master Sergeant

• 324 battles
The squares, circles and triangles are all ground targets that can be shot. The triangles I think are AA guns.

LMG #3 Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

Each square and dot designates part of a ground target. If you're far away, they only show the general location of the ground target, but when you get closer it shows each individual part. Dots indicate "soft" targets, those die relatively quickly to any sort of gunfire, while squares indicate "armored" targets. Armored targets are very tough, and often require heavy gunfire from cannons or assistance of rockets and bombs to get destroyed. Triangles are AA guns. If you destroy the actual gun, which is considered a "soft" target, it will stop firing

OldFrog75 #4 Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Airman Basic

• 52 battles

View PostLMG, on 06 November 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Each square and dot designates part of a ground target. If you're far away, they only show the general location of the ground target, but when you get closer it shows each individual part. Dots indicate "soft" targets, those die relatively quickly to any sort of gunfire, while squares indicate "armored" targets. Armored targets are very tough, and often require heavy gunfire from cannons or assistance of rockets and bombs to get destroyed. Triangles are AA guns. If you destroy the actual gun, which is considered a "soft" target, it will stop firing

Thanks. 

It seems like destroying AA guns should be a priority but it doesn't necessarily appear that way when I watch my teams play?   Is it too risky and better to concentrate on aircraft? :popcorn:

Edited by OldFrog75, 06 November 2017 - 09:05 PM.

LMG #5 Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostOldFrog75, on 06 November 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

Thanks. 

It seems like destroying AA guns should be a priority but it doesn't necessarily appear that way when I watch my teams play?   Is it too risky and better to concentrate on aircraft? :popcorn:

Killing aircraft gives a lot more capture points than destroying ground targets, and not all AA shoots at the same altitude. That said, it's always ok imo to destroy AA guns at least, just don't jeopardize your allies or your own plane while at it (more specifically, don't do it if there's a chance an enemy will get on your tail or if you think you'll end up crashing. Like I said, aircraft kills and deaths are worth a lot more than a ground target)

Edited by LMG, 06 November 2017 - 09:11 PM.

Destroyer_Suzukaze #6 Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 277 battles

View PostLMG, on 06 November 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Killing aircraft gives a lot more capture points than destroying ground targets, and not all AA shoots at the same altitude. That said, it's always ok imo to destroy AA guns at least, just don't jeopardize your allies or your own plane while at it (more specifically, don't do it if there's a chance an enemy will get on your tail or if you think you'll end up crashing. Like I said, aircraft kills and deaths are worth a lot more than a ground target)

Pretty sure that's not true if you are GA. I believe they get rewarded better for ground attacks

LMG #7 Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 06 November 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Pretty sure that's not true if you are GA. I believe they get rewarded better for ground attacks

I fly GAA almost exclusively. It takes about 2-3 ground targets destroyed to make up for one ally dying in the area. If enough allies are around me they can literally keep me from capping the point by dying. I've had times where I spend about 5 minutes trying to capture one point to no avail, and that's with me constantly pounding ground targets non-stop.

On some maps where one team spawns with a garrison and a forward airstrip and the other with a military base/command center, one lawndarting plane can and most likely will cost you the match. Doesn't help than some of those maps spawn you on a crash course with terrain, so better hope you load fast :ohmy:

Edited by LMG, 06 November 2017 - 10:41 PM.

OldFrog75 #8 Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

Airman Basic

• 52 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 06 November 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

GA?

Catch21 #9 Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 466 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
(Ground) Attack Aircraft.

GhostPrime #10 Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:17 AM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostOldFrog75, on 06 November 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Hello everyone.  New player here. 

Are the little colored squares on the ground targets a player can shoot for points or are they just boundary markers for an important target in between them?

Welcome to the game and forums! 

Using an Attack Aircraft is the best way to take out the ground targets, They will give you capture points, and help take over the territory for your team. Multirole fighters can carry bomb and rockets too, but they are better at attacking other aircraft instead of just ground targets. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

trikke #11 Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

i'm sure that this has been answered several times, but...

i think that i've seen territories go blue when all the defense bots in the air died, but no ground targets were killed

could the opposite happen?

or a combo of half bots / half ground targets?   is it a points-based system?

Mercsn #12 Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

View Posttrikke, on 09 November 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

i'm sure that this has been answered several times, but...

i think that i've seen territories go blue when all the defense bots in the air died, but no ground targets were killed

could the opposite happen?

or a combo of half bots / half ground targets?   is it a points-based system?

Yes.  Each player (or bot player) plane is worth X points (the most).  Each defense plane is worth Y points (less than X).  Each ground target is worth Z points (less than Y? I don't have the link and don't recall the specific numbers).

So, a zone can be captured by killing planes only.  A zone can be captured by killing ground targets only.  Where it gets complicated:  If players (and "player bots") from both teams are killing each other, the defense bots, and ground targets, then it's kind of like a tug of war.  As LMG said, if his teammates keep dying above him, all the progress he would be making by killing ground targets is negated by his teammates deaths.  If you look at the map and see 1 or 2 red planes in or headed to a blue zone, press your left "alt" key.  If that 1 or 2 planes are GA (ground attack), you should consider making best speed that way to defend that zone, if you are not currently engaged.  Otherwise that 1 or 2 GA will quickly flip that zone.

Also note, multi-role guys, if you are planning to attack ground targets to aid your team in capturing a zone, you have to kill all the little pieces of each ground target or you don't get credit!  So, if you are shooting up ground targets with missiles or bombs but not killing all the little pieces, you are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help your team! Worse, if the enemy has someone also shooting ground targets, THAT PLAYER might get the kill credit and capture points for HIS team by finishing off a target that YOU started....essentially multi-role who aren't careful about when and how they employ ordnance in neutral zones at the start of a match could be helping the OTHER TEAM CAPTURE IT.  (Stinks, right? The sneaky things they don't make clear!)

And people say that 2.0 is dumbed down.  There's actually a lot tactics at work, but the player bots are not programmed on how to win matches, so it makes it very frustrating. And, if new/inexperienced players watch what the bots do, they will learn bad target priority and bad map strategy!

Also, the ai bombers that are spawned by capturing a certain zone (command center?), the ai bombers that fly at high altitude, can flip an unoccupied sector by blowing up all the GTs.   If you've ever been flying around killing planes and the sector cap'd in the enemies favor or flipped from yours to theirs, it was probably an ai attack like this (or less drastically the missile attack from whatever zone spawns that) or such an attack combined with an unmolested enemy GA pounding targets while nobody from either team was dying overhead.

To answer the OP's question, if you're in a fighter, your first priority should be to kill any enemy player fighters (not the defense bots that spawn to guard the zone), as these are both worth the most points and probably the most dangerous to your health.  Your team should have someone knocking out the ai guns.  It's kind of stupid how WG has assigned ground targets in groups.  The best thing for a GA to do is knock out the actual AA guns so his team doesn't have that worry.  BUT, this means he's not getting credit for killing the ground target if he doesn't stay on that target long enough to get all the little pieces.  AND, if there is an enemy GA in a neutral zone, that guy could get the "kill" credit and capture points for his team by finishing off the target, even though your GA teammate shut down the AA fire.

If your team has a big zerg into a zone and your teammates outnumber the enemy aircraft defense bots and players and nobody is on ground duty and you have a craft with strong enough weaponry to quickly knock out the little AA pieces (just the actual gun piece) and you have enough engine power and boost to climb back into the fight to help your team mom up any enemies, THEN it might be reasonable to go shoot the AA guns (but only the AA guns and not any of the hardened structures near them).

Also, another handy trick for GA, that the player bots don't seemed programmed for, is anti-GA duty, they are the absolute best at it: slow, low stall speed, heavy guns, good armor that can shrug off tailgun fire.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

LMG #13 Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostMercsn, on 09 November 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Also, another handy trick for GA, that the player bots don't seemed programmed for, is anti-GA duty, they are the absolute best at it: slow, low stall speed, heavy guns, good armor that can shrug off tailgun fire.

I'll also point out that German GAAs in general are better at taking down other GAAs. If you're playing as a soviet GAA, I highly suggest avoiding encounters with German ones, unless they're being played by bots. As far as I'm aware, bots that fly GAAs are hardwired to only ever shoot at ground targets, even if you're shooting at it head-on

comtedumas #14 Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1122 battles
  • [NIN-] NIN-

View PostOldFrog75, on 06 November 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

Thanks. 

you need the right plane to do the right job.  I can clean a area of aa guns in two passes with my Corsair or P47B, easy.  
Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dru83 #15 Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

LMG said:

As far as I'm aware, bots that fly GAAs are hardwired to only ever shoot at ground targets, even if you're shooting at it head-on

I've had bot GAA's fire on me from both the head 2 head and tail to head positions. If they have an opportunity, they will shoot at aircraft, but they won't hunt them down.

LMG #16 Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostDru83, on 10 November 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

I've had bot GAA's fire on me from both the head 2 head and tail to head positions. If they have an opportunity, they will shoot at aircraft, but they won't hunt them down.

Huh, I'm yet to be shot at by bot GAAs. Then again, I don't really head-on them either nor do I wiggle my tail in front of them

trikke #17 Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostMercsn, on 09 November 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Yes.  Each player (or bot player) plane is worth X points (the most).  Each defense plane is worth Y points (less than X).  Each ground target is worth Z points (less than Y? I don't have the link and don't recall the specific numbers).

So, a zone can be captured by killing planes only.  A zone can be captured by killing ground targets only.  Where it gets complicated:  If players (and "player bots") from both teams are killing each other, the defense bots, and ground targets, then it's kind of like a tug of war.  As LMG said, if his teammates keep dying above him, all the progress he would be making by killing ground targets is negated by his teammates deaths.  If you look at the map and see 1 or 2 red planes in or headed to a blue zone, press your left "alt" key.  If that 1 or 2 planes are GA (ground attack), you should consider making best speed that way to defend that zone, if you are not currently engaged.  Otherwise that 1 or 2 GA will quickly flip that zone.

Also note, multi-role guys, if you are planning to attack ground targets to aid your team in capturing a zone, you have to kill all the little pieces of each ground target or you don't get credit!  So, if you are shooting up ground targets with missiles or bombs but not killing all the little pieces, you are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help your team! Worse, if the enemy has someone also shooting ground targets, THAT PLAYER might get the kill credit and capture points for HIS team by finishing off a target that YOU started....essentially multi-role who aren't careful about when and how they employ ordnance in neutral zones at the start of a match could be helping the OTHER TEAM CAPTURE IT.  (Stinks, right? The sneaky things they don't make clear!)

And people say that 2.0 is dumbed down.  There's actually a lot tactics at work, but the player bots are not programmed on how to win matches, so it makes it very frustrating. And, if new/inexperienced players watch what the bots do, they will learn bad target priority and bad map strategy!

Also, the ai bombers that are spawned by capturing a certain zone (command center?), the ai bombers that fly at high altitude, can flip an unoccupied sector by blowing up all the GTs.   If you've ever been flying around killing planes and the sector cap'd in the enemies favor or flipped from yours to theirs, it was probably an ai attack like this (or less drastically the missile attack from whatever zone spawns that) or such an attack combined with an unmolested enemy GA pounding targets while nobody from either team was dying overhead.

To answer the OP's question, if you're in a fighter, your first priority should be to kill any enemy player fighters (not the defense bots that spawn to guard the zone), as these are both worth the most points and probably the most dangerous to your health.  Your team should have someone knocking out the ai guns.  It's kind of stupid how WG has assigned ground targets in groups.  The best thing for a GA to do is knock out the actual AA guns so his team doesn't have that worry.  BUT, this means he's not getting credit for killing the ground target if he doesn't stay on that target long enough to get all the little pieces.  AND, if there is an enemy GA in a neutral zone, that guy could get the "kill" credit and capture points for his team by finishing off the target, even though your GA teammate shut down the AA fire.

If your team has a big zerg into a zone and your teammates outnumber the enemy aircraft defense bots and players and nobody is on ground duty and you have a craft with strong enough weaponry to quickly knock out the little AA pieces (just the actual gun piece) and you have enough engine power and boost to climb back into the fight to help your team mom up any enemies, THEN it might be reasonable to go shoot the AA guns (but only the AA guns and not any of the hardened structures near them).

thank you for this...   jeez, never knew ANY of this!

would love to see this post stickied, and should be reread by each human player before each battle

Destroyer_Suzukaze #18 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 277 battles

View PostMercsn, on 09 November 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

Many zones can be capped out just by killing defense planes, but some like mines can only be capped by taking out ground targets. And there are probably combos I am not aware of yet. 

Some airfields have the repair ability, indicated by a wrench. This zone has a structure in it, indicated by a large wrench in the ground. This can be taken out by GA aircraft, and does not regenerate, which means to get the field repairing again, it must be taken over by the enemy (where all the structures blow up and come back) and then be recaptured again.

To get cap points as a GA you have to take out the whole target. So if an enemy MR goes through taking out AA, I can go through and take out the pillboxes which makes it easier for my team to win the cap.  If I am in an MR with a couple of bombs, I will take out an AA emplacement but if I don't have ordnance, I will leave it alone. 

Sometimes a zone will be 90% capped and will stay that way for quite a while. It needs a ground target taken out to complete the cap

LMG #19 Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 13 November 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

Many zones can be capped out just by killing defense planes, but some like mines can only be capped by taking out ground targets. And there are probably combos I am not aware of yet. 

Mining Facilities can be captured by killing planes, but they have to be enemy planes as the area does not spawn defense aircraft. It also works the other way around, so I highly suggest attempting to not die within the capture zone of a Mining Facility, that way the enemy has to slowly deal with the armored ground targets :trollface:

trikke #20 Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostLMG, on 13 November 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Mining Facilities can be captured by killing planes, but they have to be enemy planes as the area does not spawn defense aircraft. It also works the other way around, so I highly suggest attempting to not die within the capture zone of a Mining Facility, that way the enemy has to slowly deal with the armored ground targets :trollface:

excellent tip, as it's frustrating to try to cap a mine without GA help 

2.0 seems to pull all the plane types together for a win somewhat better than 1.x

or at least what i remember...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users