• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Zapperguy #21 Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostSlickChickII, on 27 December 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Will be giving it a try today. It reminds me of the old Fighter Ace views (minus cockpits) I am used to. Let's see if up my game a bit. :)

Glad to hear it. :great:

I only play with a joystick, and I feel this view creates the best possible immersion as "the pilot". You "feel" like you're in the plane, not just looking at it remotely.

There are many point and click players who don't want the experience I'm looking for, but that's why WG allows mods.

I also use headphones. With no peripheral vision other than a poor hat view, many turn fights are fought relying on zoomed in radar and on the sound of nearby planes to judge proximity.

It's a "hardcore" mod for an arcade game. I want as close to the pilot's experience I can get without going full sim with fuel mixtures and all the other accurate but tedious nuances of such programs.

As an Alpha tester you may remember that a very similar view was available in CBT as a step when zooming with the mousewheel. I have been using 1st person camera mods since WG removed this view without explanation in CBT.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.

:honoring:

SlickChickII #22 Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 498 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostZapperguy, on 27 December 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Glad to hear it. :great:

I only play with a joystick, and I feel this view creates the best possible immersion as "the pilot". You "feel" like you're in the plane, not just looking at it remotely.

There are many point and click players who don't want the experience I'm looking for, but that's why WG allows mods.

I also use headphones. With no peripheral vision other than a poor hat view, many turn fights are fought relying on zoomed in radar and on the sound of nearby planes to judge proximity.

It's a "hardcore" mod for an arcade game. I want as close to the pilot's experience I can get without going full sim with fuel mixtures and all the other accurate but tedious nuances of such programs.

As an Alpha tester you may remember that a very similar view was available in CBT as a step when zooming with the mousewheel. I have been using 1st person camera mods since WG removed this view without explanation in CBT.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.

Got it installed and workin' great so far. My play was better overall, win rate not so much lol. The only thing I had trouble gettin' used to was no planes in spectator view, but that's a minor thing.

Yes, the feel was what I was missing. Personally, I don't think of it as "hardcore mode", that would be if there was a cockpit only view with limited padlock. 

As for alpha testing, I only got into a couple games back then before life threw a curve ball at me. Only picked it back up about 3 weeks ago, so all new. 

Thanks a ton for this, I do enjoy it and appreciate the work.

Zapperguy #23 Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Glad you like it. If I get energetic I'll try to fix the spectate view.

trikke #24 Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostZapperguy, on 27 December 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

I'm not saying my camera mod makes the difference, but here are my stats from the past week. Don't fear 1st person; you may find it makes the game better for you.

Spoiler

jeezus zap, your stats always look like that, so the mod can't be the reason

gj, brother!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Zapperguy #25 Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostSlickChickII, on 31 December 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

Got it installed and workin' great so far. My play was better overall, win rate not so much lol. The only thing I had trouble gettin' used to was no planes in spectator view, but that's a minor thing.

Yes, the feel was what I was missing. Personally, I don't think of it as "hardcore mode", that would be if there was a cockpit only view with limited padlock. 

As for alpha testing, I only got into a couple games back then before life threw a curve ball at me. Only picked it back up about 3 weeks ago, so all new. 

Thanks a ton for this, I do enjoy it and appreciate the work.

Unfortunately, because WG drastically limited the camera views with 2.0, you can't have a 1st person only view and see a plane in spectate mode. You could in 1.9, but they took away the code that allowed for it.

Sorry.

:(

Zapperguy #26 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Mod updated for patch 2.0.3.0

Installation instructions in the first post of this thread.

Attached File   1st_person_camera_mod_for_2.0.3.0.zip   3.92K

Korbimite #27 Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Master Sergeant

• 208 battles
  • [T_R_U] T_R_U

View PostZapperguy, on 03 November 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

To post on the other forums, you have to create accounts there, which I did long ago. Regarding aiming, it makes me laugh when newbies and returning players make fun of the lead indicator we had in 1.9 and before.

Now, all you have to do is put the reticle on the enemy regardless their speed or direction, and if they are in range, you'll hit them. This is so ridiculously point and shoot, that it takes the concept of leading a target completely out of the game.

Having part of the HUD back doesn't make up for the mechanics that were lost.

You think you don't need to lead targets? Is that what you mean with this?

Korbimite #28 Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 208 battles
  • [T_R_U] T_R_U

View PostZapperguy, on 03 November 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

The lead indicator in 1.9 was optional. It was far from spot-on accurate. You always had to lead or be behind the pipper. It varied how much and which way with each plane and what enemy you were facing - a lot of that is the mechanics they messed up. It helped me tell whether planes were coming toward me or going away (Old eyes seem to struggle with that). Remember that in 1.9 we had a locked target window in the lower left corner. The lead indicator (which I modded to a different color because I could barely see the original) help to ID which plane was in that locked window. I have always flown 1st person; so. I don't have a 3rd person view (which I consider a cheat). Flying peripherally blind means I want all the info I can get from what I can see. The loss of the lead indicator is not a deal breaker by any means. Respawn is. It's a 15 minute game, MAX. How many chances do you need to be careless enough to die in that short a time span?  The battles would be played very differently if players had only 1 life. The irony of it is that before someone does something risky, the cry is often YOLO. In 2.0.x that risky/foolish behavior is rewarded with a fully restored plane again and again.

Now the cry is YOL..AMTAYCDBTS.  You Only Live As Many Times As You Can Die Before The Squall.

It encourages poor tactics and discourages trying to improve one's skills. If the battles lasted an hour, then maybe you consider some sort of respawn mechanic. This is just COD style rush and die, respawn, repeat.

Good Luck to those still playing.

The less you die the more XP and credits you earn FYI

Korbimite #29 Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• 208 battles
  • [T_R_U] T_R_U

After this is installed, can I still go into spectator view?

Or is that replaced totally with this view?

ddraig_oz #30 Posted Today, 07:53 AM

Airman Basic

• 463 battles
  • [SSK] SSK
How do I actually turn this view on in-game?  I've installed the mod into the directory, but have no idea what else I'm meant to do.  I *hate* 3rd-person view in flying games, so I'm extremely interested in this mod

Also tagged with 2.0.2.0, 1st person, camera, mod

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

ddraig_oz