Hi & some newbish questions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

hoom #1 Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Hi there,

Long term WoT & WoWS player, did install & play a few WoWP battles way back but basically new here since 2.0.

I've never really been a sim player, too much technical gets not fun, WT was easier to handle than old WoWP but even then I've not played it much.

It appears to be a pretty unpopular opinion around here but I'm enjoying the much more arcadey 2.0 (& vastly more intelligible hangar UI than WT) :)

Like Jingles said, can just hop in, fly around & do pretty well.

So being rather a russophile, looking at the techtree my immediate target is La-5, am at the Lagg-3 & surprisingly for a plane with poor reputation, rather enjoying it.

Have also scored my favourite terrible plane the Skua and that beast the Beaufighter :playing:

Is it wrong to hope for a Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest, Fury line?

I had the ramjet I-15 & the Hawk3 Premiums from I dunno how or when, always handy to have some Premiums but the thing where you can't use Premiums to help accelerate retraining is annoying, breaks a standard set in the other WG titles.

On the other hand Silver retraining to 90% is very nice, maybe retraining acceleration is a small price to pay for that? :hiding:

Saw mention of there being a lot of Bonus Codes going round, did a quick Google yesterday & came out with the XFL-1, Il-2 (mod) & SE100 which is a really nice haul :great:

So questions:

Profile shows overall winrate but why is there no winrate in the per-plane stats?

Would be nice to get a split between dmg to players & dmg to bots.

I seem to be having trouble getting hits with the XFL-1 :sceptic: am I right that the 37mm shell is significantly slower?

The 20mm & 23mm guns so far seem to not suffer the same eg no similar issue on the Lagg-3.

I guess similar but worse for other 37mm & bigger guns?

Are there any planes where its better not to max out the weaponry? Seen ppl refer to I-16 ShKAS but doesn't appear to be a Premium.

Does the speed impact from mounting rockets/bombs change in-battle ie you regain speed after you launch/drop them until reloaded?

Have been considering going for only rockets on Il-2/Beaufighter, maybe no bomb on Skua, is there any noticeable agility advantage from that or would I just be missing out on ground damage?

Some of the Missions seem to not work? Or have very unclear descriptions of whats needed to progress.

Is there a generally useful way to dodge the AA? Sometimes a bit of jinking seems to work fine, other times I still get ripped up.

Similarly whats the best way to dodge Heavy fighters diving straight at you? Going head-on vs Bots often = ram death, haven't had much success with trying to go off-bore at 90deg

Game seems less than ideally stable:

Have had '...has stopped working' crashes a few times (possibly related to temporary low bandwith situations)

Got dumped off server several times for no obvious reason (happens in WoT/WoWS sometimes too but seems more frequent in WoWP)

Had the Hangar freeze on loading  when switching between planes (I think if I switch then switch again too quick triggers it, kill the process & re-load works)

Had some weird GUI/glitches near end of battles which then end with glitched out results screen with broken Back to Hangar button but gives normal result screen after automatic time-out back to Hangar.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

You need to breakdown the plane stats to show their winrate.

You fire only one shell each trigger pull with single-shot gun (RoF 60RPM or less) so of course it's going to be harder to land hits with.

Planes that can (or should) operate without top weapons?

Spoiler

You suffer very little penalty for heavy ordnance and modules, so load up all you can, as you might find the use for them in battle. Some ordnance to take out targets at a critical moment can turn the battle to your favor by stealing sectors right from under the enemy.

At least one mission (Combat Recon 3rd mission) was confirmed by a developer to be bugged...others either are unclear in their descriptions or have ridiculous requirement relative to tier (e.g. killing bomber flights in low tier, good luck landing in one of the Pacific maps that has command center because it's the only set of maps to have those. Hope you got USSR planes for 2 air kill by ordnance in low tier bracket (only they can use rockets), or pray for players to tailgate you [Again, USSR attack aircraft/GA has the best qualification for that] and bomb them to oblivion).

AA is still RNG-based, but can be permanently silenced if they are red, because this isn't DotA. Wear some livery if you really need some extra protection for your MRF/GA.

Stability is indeed crap, unfortunately...I once had D/C and CtD back to back...it sucks.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

pyantoryng #3 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Postcobra_marksman, on 30 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

You might just want to hop into your tub...& go play with your Rubber Duckie.... you just might find out playing with rubber duckie..... will give you more pleasure then this NEW & Improved Version of ... World of Warplanes.   They also ..... have a boat version of this game, so playing with rubber duckie, will give you some experience playing their game of ......World of Warships..

They never did returned the Jacuzzi...I sure want that Jacuzzi for port...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

hoom #4 Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

You need to breakdown the plane stats to show their winrate.

Yeah I don't see it, can you post a screenshot?

Its not 'starting selection'? (btw wthis that supposed to mean?)

Block Quote

You fire only one shell each trigger pull with single-shot gun (RoF 60RPM or less) so of course it's going to be harder to land hits with.

Ah that may be why (but ingame stats say it has 120rpm), so button mash to get best performance :)

Block Quote

You suffer very little penalty for heavy ordnance and modules, so load up all you can, as you might find the use for them in battle.

Cool.

Block Quote

Wear some livery if you really need some extra protection for your MRF/GA.

Oooh Equipment not cammo :)

Block Quote

You might just want to hop into your tub...& go play with your Rubber Duckie.... you just might find out playing with rubber duckie..... will give you more pleasure then this NEW & Improved Version of ... World of Warplanes.   They also ..... have a boat version of this game, so playing with rubber duckie, will give you some experience playing their game of ......World of Warships..

Reading too hard? Or just an unnecessarily douchy post?

pyantoryng #5 Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
Hrm...there really isn't any individual planes' win rate. I guess being able to deploy multiple ones at once made tracking win rate for individual planes needing to be reconfigured...or plain impossible.

cobra_marksman #6 Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 678 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Wow ...did you see that ........if you post something that Big Brother doesn't like,  they delete your post.

fallanger #7 Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• 78 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I feel ya cobra...this game suffers from all the things that I originally came to WOWP to enjoy.

Snarky_Wombat #8 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:37 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Block Quote

Reading too hard? Or just an unnecessarily douchy post?

Yeah, that's Cobra.  Option 2.

hoom #9 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Ya know, I didn't ask for sour grapes :bajan:

Seem to have started to get some hits with that 37mm :playing:

Couple more Qs:

At what kind of range can you shoot Rockets at ground targets & expect hits, is it when the GUI highlight comes up like guns? Don't need to adjust for sink right?

Do I need to be careful of friendly fire? I've certainly found friendly ramming & bomb damage exists & obviously try not to shoot friendlies.

When boosting is it best effect to boost all the way to overheat or is there a quicker cool-down if you stop short? Feels like the latter but seeking confirmation.

pyantoryng #10 Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

You should shoot your rockets below 1km...that's how we did it before 2.0. Closer range means better aim too.

Friendly fire do exist, but with so much bullets being sprayed around, expect some to hit your teammates, just do your best to avoid colliding into friendly planes, as that's just about the main source of team damage.

You'll need to use every ounce of boost you have sometimes if you really need to climb somewhere. Idling engine is supposed to help cool the engine, but the problem is, the stupid control scheme defines it as "air brake" and deploy flaps along with engine idling so it's no longer viable unless you're 4km up and on a pretty steep dive, as you will lose a lot of energy with both engine cut and flaps deployed.

hoom #11 Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles
How about rocket/bomb reload rate, is there anything that can be done to speed that up (don't see any skill/equipment) or just something you have to live with?

pyantoryng #12 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Posthoom, on 31 October 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

How about rocket/bomb reload rate, is there anything that can be done to speed that up (don't see any skill/equipment) or just something you have to live with?

Just gotta live with it. Keep in mind that the same ordnance can take different time to reload on different planes.

I can see reload time decrease being a special skill on a special pilot though...

Hans_Sprungfeld #13 Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 714 battles
  • [MARS-] MARS-

That 37mm is great fun! :playing:

One thing that's helped me with mixed-armament planes like that is binding weapon groups in control settings. Group 1 is your biggest caliber gun, group 2 your second largest, etc.  That way, you can focus on hitting with the big gun(s) when it would be a tricky shot/long range, hold down "fire all" for point blank encounters, and just fire your smaller guns when you need to cool down the big guns and still want to put out some dakka.

hoom #14 Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles
Thats a really good idea, will need to try that out :)

Orion03 #15 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 425 battles

I mapped my gun group 2 to my right mouse button. 

Left mouse button fires all, right mouse button fires machine guns.

Moved the free camera to side mouse buttons.

I find that helps for all planes with canons, as the canons overheat really quick.

If you don't have a fire all button, then when you jump into turret view, you cannot shoot.

hoom #16 Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

Left mouse button fires all, right mouse button fires machine guns.

Moved the free camera to side mouse buttons.

I'm thinking keep free camera on right button to keep standard with lots of games I already play/ed so I think I'll put the MGs on side button :)

Edit: uh so whats the deal with the 3 weapon groups? :unsure:

Edited by hoom, 01 November 2017 - 02:50 AM.

Hans_Sprungfeld #17 Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 714 battles
  • [MARS-] MARS-

View Posthoom, on 31 October 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Edit: uh so whats the deal with the 3 weapon groups? :unsure:

From what I can tell, group 1 is your highest-caliber guns, group 2 is the second-highest, and group 3 is the smallest. On most planes (Zeros, XFL-1, IL-2, etc.), this means group 1 will be cannons, group 2 will be MGs, and group 3 does nothing. On planes with 3 gun sizes (Me 410 in my experience), G1 is the 30mms, G2 is the 20mm, and G3 is the MGs.

Haven't read anything official about how they're determined but that's how it's worked on every plane I've flown.

Pogo68 #18 Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postpyantoryng, on 30 October 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Hrm...there really isn't any individual planes' win rate. I guess being able to deploy multiple ones at once made tracking win rate for individual planes needing to be reconfigured...or plain impossible.

Not really that hard.

If I can do it on a simple spreadsheet, coding it to track the win rate for each aircraft is easy.

The information is already being collected.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

hoom #19 Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles

Block Quote

From what I can tell, group 1 is your highest-caliber guns, group 2 is the second-highest, and group 3 is the smallest.

Thanks again :)

Er lol just re-read your earlier post & you did say that, I totally mis-read :hiding:

hoom #20 Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles
Hmm so-far the separate grouping is feeling very sticky: not always but often shoots the previous button first time I change :sceptic:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users