Ask MARS_ Anything!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Mortie243 #41 Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 209 battles
I have a question, and I hope you can help. I ordered loot from the Skies of Albion event and I was super excited when I got the quest to earn the RB-17 for free, cuz that's awesome. The 1st step of the mission is to earn 500 capture points by destroying ground targets. The requirements are that it be completed in a Standard battle tier IV - X. So I queue up my JU-87 attack plane and get to work blowing stuff up. I've played 3 battles now, and have blown up ground targets. The counter on the mission hasn't moved, just 0/500. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to wait for the event to start, which is in about an hour? If so, that kind of sucks since I got the mission last night and only have about 5 hours left before it expires. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Edited by Mortie243, 22 December 2017 - 10:25 PM.

legoboy0401 #42 Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostMortie243, on 22 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

I have a question, and I hope you can help. I ordered loot from the Skies of Albion event and I was super excited when I got the quest to earn the RB-17 for free, cuz that's awesome. The 1st step of the mission is to earn 500 capture points by destroying ground targets. The requirements are that it be completed in a Standard battle tier IV - X. So I queue up my JU-87 attack plane and get to work blowing stuff up. I've played 3 battles now, and have blown up ground targets. The counter on the mission hasn't moved, just 0/500. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to wait for the event to start, which is in about an hour? If so, that kind of sucks since I got the mission last night and only have about 5 hours left before it expires. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

I believe the special mission you refer to is "earn 500 capture points with a bomber in a single sortie by destroying ground targets" which obviously has to be done with a bomber in a single sortie, which is why a GAA wouldn't do it.

It sucks that you have to have a bomber to earn a bomber, but what can I say? It's WG who invented these stupid special missions in the first place, and it's up to them to decide what has to be done to earn these planes.

Edited by legoboy0401, 22 December 2017 - 10:36 PM.

Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

Spoiler

MARS_REVENANT #43 Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMortie243, on 22 December 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Can you post an image of the exact mission wording?

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

poppavein #44 Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2233 battles
What are the best things to spend tokens on?  I have 41 so far ...

pyantoryng #45 Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View Postpoppavein, on 30 December 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Two boxes (2+4 tokens) per day.

On missions you find hard/impossible/bugged.

Save them for special occasions such as this...or buy some hangar slots if you really don't have any gold or cannot purchase any more. A large fleet of planes will let you tackle more missions.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MARS_REVENANT #46 Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postpoppavein, on 30 December 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

Newer players - Premium time and hangar slots.

Veteran players - Save them for special events and purchases.

That is what I would do, but it depends what you value more.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

pyantoryng #47 Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 30 December 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Newer players - Premium time and hangar slots.

Veteran players - Save them for special events and purchases.

That is what I would do, but it depends what you value more.

Just scraping up 18 tokens can be pretty hard for new players (Epic achievements are now locked to T4+ and daily missions require T8+). One might as well buy those stuff with gold if they can pay for it.

It's just a way for advancement when you are freeriding...heck, WG gives away enough prem time in a year (across three titles) to get by.

Edited by pyantoryng, 30 December 2017 - 03:11 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MARS_REVENANT #48 Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

2018.01.02 - 9:30pm - 11:30Mm ET

ASK_MARS_ANYTHING!

This is where I answer forum questions during a live stream, convert it to YouTube and post the answers in the thread for everyone to see

LIVE STREAM  >>>  https://www.twitch.tv/mars_revenant  <<<  LIVE STREAM

OPEN BETA DISCORD   >>>   https://discord.gg/Y9XWdsq   <<<   OPEN BETA DISCORD

wlKd8M9.jpg

MARS_REVENANT #49 Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLMG, on 22 November 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

I got a question, how well does the Hs 129 B perform when used properly? I ran a few battles in it out of curiosity (I went with the Stuka instead) and to calm down my inner completionist, and I could not find a proper use for it aside of a wannabe Stuka. So far I've been able to somewhat figure out other GAAs, to the point where I can take on Mining Facilities with the Ju 88 P without breaking a sweat, but the Henschel has been the only one to elude me (and frustrate me) lately. The one thing I did notice was that its top engine lets it boost at ludicrous speed :kamikaze:

Here is how I would do it.

LMG #50 Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2034 battles

Yea, the bombs look like the way to go. The upgraded 20s seemed to do more damage than what I thought, so not having the cannon doesn't seem to hamper it. I'm kinda surprised by how much damage the bombs actually did for their size :amazed:. Also, you should have tried to outrun the Eule; the Hs can't really turn, but it can run away very well with that boost :hiding:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MARS_REVENANT #51 Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:45 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostNoLove_NoNothing, on 13 December 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Seriously, I've flown some bad planes so far, but these things take the friggin cake. I've never felt so weak in a plane before, the ordinance loadout for them at tier 6 and 7 is extremely weak, and the cannons may say they give you an effective range of 700m, but i've found that you may as well have .50 cals because they aren't accurate at ALL at max range.

Honestly, trying to get to the F-94 Starfire with it's M61 Vulcan, is really starting to not feel anywhere near worth it. The P-47 line feels more powerful and maneuverable than these turds. Which is really sad considering how good the Corsairs were IRL.

Anyone else flying the F4Us and struggling to make them work?

EDIT: That's it. I've had enough. These 3 planes are getting free XP'ed through cause they are so fricking terrible. 700mm range on cannons my hairy white a**. Gotta be within 500m to get any consistently good damage. Getting outrun by Spitfires, 109s, Fw 190s, Out climbed by Thunderbolts, Yaks, and MiGs. No more. Not one more game in a Corsair for me.

​This is how I would play pretty much any MultiRole plane, once you get used to the Corsair line, you will be able to adapt to the different play style required for them.

shirime #52 Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4123 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

I'm not as skilled or experienced a player as MARS_REVENANT, so please add larger helping of grains of salt to below, but I have spent a decent amount of time in the three Corsairs in 2.0, so thought I might be of some help...

Not sure what your expectations are for this line; I'd call the three games MARS shared in his vid above totally solid games in the planes. For me, piles of medals and maxed chevrons don't come nearly as frequently in the Corsairs than say, in the Spits, Zeroes, Yaks, La's... you get the idea, but they do come every once in a while. I haven't aced in any of the Corsairs, but I've seen it done in 2.0. 

I agree with the equipment MARS shows, sight and both maneuvering ones. For pilot, you might think about stacking the Marksman skills. Marksman II on the F2G was a real eye-opener; not much issue bursting at folks 600+ out with that.

Also not sure how you're approaching strategy and tactics; the Corsairs aren't good BnZ planes and almost any decent fighter will cream you in TnB, so I found most success being sneaky. I try not to be the obvious target for the other team; no leading the charge. Circle away from the furball and come in to clear tails and pick off folks who are low, hit heavies and GAs whenever you can. Charge open caps, but keep one eye on the minimap; if a gaggle of light fighters cruises in, you're dead... If you rig equipment for turning, the magic of flaps can take you pretty far, actually...

FWIW, if you really just don't like the Corsairs, I'm not sure you'll love the F-94D. The struggle I have with that one is that the caps are small enough that everything is almost always turning in them, which makes BnZ even with the Vulcan challenging. And oh, man, you can't out turn ANYTHING in the Starfire. Again, it's a matter of expectations. I typically get somewhere between 6-12 kills/game in the Starfire, and have some fun doing it, but again, not exactly piling up medals like many of the light fighters do.

Oddly enough, I have had fun in the spur line fighter, the F6U Pirate. I thought it would be a total POS, but had the XP and credits so picked it up for S&G, it's actually pretty fun fully upgraded.

GLHF 

MARS_REVENANT #53 Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 21 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

How do you succeed withe Model 81a1 

Here is how I would play it.

Blaaarggh #54 Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 12 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Dear Mars_Volta,

How would you deal with a situation where you had 15 of the best players in the game headhunting only you, while you were hanging upside down with your hands tied behind your back while getting a foot massage from a porcupine at a dentists appointment during a hurricane?

Would appreciate if you made a video of this.  Thank you.

Please apply dirt, rocks and trees to your aircraft sparingly.

I have this theory that loudly ticking clocks can be wound with massive blunt objects.  By striking the clock with great force the energy would transfer into the gears, not unlike winding it.   I plan on testing this someday.

LMG #55 Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2034 battles

View PostBlaaarggh, on 07 January 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

Dear Mars_Volta,

How would you deal with a situation where you had 15 of the best players in the game headhunting only you, while you were hanging upside down with your hands tied behind your back while getting a foot massage from a porcupine at a dentists appointment during a hurricane?

So basically you went solo towards a nearly-capped neutral Airbase with all AA intact and mostly player fighters while flying a stock stuka?

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MARS_REVENANT #56 Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostBlaaarggh, on 07 January 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

Dear Mars_Volta,

Its already been done, but here it is again.

porcupines_thumb.JPG

male-dentist-female-patient.jpg

300px-Hurricane_Isabel_from_ISS.jpg

Video Credit: DrSinister

MARS_REVENANT #57 Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

wlKd8M9.jpg

RandomPauI #58 Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1799 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
Where will the German bombers fit on the tech tree?

MARS_REVENANT #59 Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3911 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostRandomPauI, on 10 January 2018 - 04:04 AM, said:

View PostRandomPauI, on 10 January 2018 - 04:04 AM, said:

Good question. The will fit in the German Tech Tree of course.

Zapperguy #60 Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Mars,

What the most points you've gotten in a single battle toward a crate? I had 37 points the other day in my Spit XIV. I think that's the best I've done.

:honoring:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users