Ask MARS_ Anything!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

MARS_REVENANT #1 Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:41 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

There has been a lot of chatter on the forums of "how do I do it" type of questions so I figured I would start a thread to answer as many questions as I can.  There is nothing I hate more than typing something out, so I will pick a question depending on what I see people having difficulty with on the forums, and I will answer the question in the form of a Twitch live stream or YouTube video.

Feel free to use this thread as an AMA (Ask MARS_ Anything) I'll do my best to respond.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:49 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Today's AMA

View PostSnarky_Wombat, on 27 October 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Thanks for the video Mars.  I appreciate the effort.

Now, as one of those new players that need help, there are two things that I think make the difference as to why you feel confused and why it seems a bit strange to you.

The first is you are using a tier 10 planes, obviously more capable and more than just guns.  As a lower tier player, I am only now just getting my hands of some of that.

Second, the time it takes for you to kill a ground module with guns, even soft targets, is substantially less than what I have been dealing with.  I think this may be the crux of the problem.  I can use the whole run, hitting a target non-stop and still only take out a few modules or even just one.  Sure bombs and rockets seem to help but the time to kill just isn't there for me. 

I am a bit happier to see that thing seem to get a bit easier at top tier, but this is the newcomer section.... :)

As long time player, how would you deal with a 'kill 10 AA' or 'kill 5 neutral targets' in a T3, 4 or 5 Soviet GAA with a fresh pilot?

Thanks again for the effort.

Here is your answer:

Same answer with Tier 10 and 7:

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 28 October 2017 - 12:51 AM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

Snarky_Wombat #3 Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Thanks Mars, once again I have ot thank you for you efforts.  I also owe you an apology, you are correct I did not watch your video in it's entirety.  I typically do not make it a habit to only take in portion of information before stating an opinion, but I was called away from the PC and forgot about the rest!  Again, my apologies.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:30 AM

First Lieutenant

• 116 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Search Results

Method 1 Avoiding Arguments
  • Don't argue. It can seem difficult to avoid being drawn into a debate. ...
  • Avoid hot topics. When talking to an argumentative person, it's best to keep the conversation as trivial as possible. ...
  • Stay calm. Don't let yourself get riled up. ...
  • Look bored. ...
  • Agree without agreeing.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 27 October 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Search Results

Method 1 Avoiding Arguments
  • Don't argue. It can seem difficult to avoid being drawn into a debate. ...
  • Avoid hot topics. When talking to an argumentative person, it's best to keep the conversation as trivial as possible. ...
  • Stay calm. Don't let yourself get riled up. ...
  • Look bored. ...
  • Agree without agreeing.

Please use this thread for serious concerns only.  Note I dont do tech support.

Speedstang #6 Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Airman Basic

• 76 battles
How do you play heavy fighters? I always end up with a fighter or multirole fighter on my tail and can't really do anything about it, they just out-steer me. The rear gunner usually doesn't save me either unless they're really low on hp. (Not sure if I'm using the rear gunner incorrectly.)

Edited by Speedstang, 28 October 2017 - 10:07 AM.

cobra_marksman #7 Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• 678 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 27 October 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

There has been a lot of chatter on the forums of "how do I do it" type of questions so I figured I would start a thread to answer as many questions as I can.  There is nothing I hate more than typing something out, so I will pick a question depending on what I see people having difficulty with on the forums, and I will answer the question in the form of a Twitch live stream or YouTube video.

Feel free to use this thread as an AMA (Ask MARS_ Anything) I'll do my best to respond.

Well from one Ga pilot  to another, let me just say... thanks for the video.  You answered a lot of the question that players are asking about tactic's & gameplay here on 2.0 while flying the Ga's. Will be recommending you Ga  videos to Clan members & players as required viewing. Again good job, & keep them coming.

MARS_REVENANT #8 Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostSpeedstang, on 28 October 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

How do you play heavy fighters? I always end up with a fighter or multirole fighter on my tail and can't really do anything about it, they just out-steer me. The rear gunner usually doesn't save me either unless they're really low on hp. (Not sure if I'm using the rear gunner incorrectly.)

Here is an into to German HF by MagusGerhardt

I haven't played much HF since 2.0 was released, but I'll look into a video for lower tier HF.

Seafodder #9 Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

Senior Airman

• 531 battles
  • [OTG-I] OTG-I

"Returning noob" here...  After watching the low-tier GA video, I was curious why you disapproved of the live fighters that came down to kill you?  Is there an overarching strategy to let the enemy GA flip the base so the fighters can then get more points killing the AI defenders or something?

Generally, I try to take out the enemy fighters first because they are more dangerous to me personally, but I will certainly dive on a GA if no other targets are available.  Is my noobness showing?  :)

MARS_REVENANT #10 Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostSeafodder, on 29 October 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

"Returning noob" here...  After watching the low-tier GA video, I was curious why you disapproved of the live fighters that came down to kill you?  Is there an overarching strategy to let the enemy GA flip the base so the fighters can then get more points killing the AI defenders or something?

Generally, I try to take out the enemy fighters first because they are more dangerous to me personally, but I will certainly dive on a GA if no other targets are available.  Is my noobness showing?  :)

GA should be left till last because as a LF or HF diving after GA first leaves you in a vulnerable position.  Most players haven't developed their knowledge on the battle yet, so they dive on the first target they see, and GA are still pretty much sitting ducks.  It gets them a kill, earns them silver and exp, but many times puts their team at a disadvantage.

Clear the sky, then drop down to hit GA or GT if you have to.  You will do much better overall, and your team will appreciate the help.

Perco_lator #11 Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

Dear MARSCO,

In your opinion what are the planes per tier that seem to outperform all the others at each tier? Do you think that there are any planes that can be considered OP in 2.0?

MARS_REVENANT #12 Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostPerco_lator, on 29 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Dear MARSCO,

In your opinion what are the planes per tier that seem to outperform all the others at each tier? Do you think that there are any planes that can be considered OP in 2.0?

Hello.

The game is mostly about the dogfight.  It can be affected by GA and the new Bomber class, but for the most part the MR and LF class will determine the outcome of the battle.  I have not had a chance to fly every plane, but so far my sense is that LF with canons seem to do really well.  I am really enjoying the Spitfire line right now.  It can turn with most planes, has the power to take out GA and can climb to take out HF and Bombers.

I hope that answers your question.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Perco_lator #13 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 29 October 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hello.

The game is mostly about the dogfight.  It can be affected by GA and the new Bomber class, but for the most part the MR and LF class will determine the outcome of the battle.  I have not had a chance to fly every plane, but so far my sense is that LF with canons seem to do really well.  I am really enjoying the Spitfire line right now.  It can turn with most planes, has the power to take out GA and can climb to take out HF and Bombers.

I hope that answers your question.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Not really what I was asking but thanks for the cut & paste WG support like answer.

MARS_REVENANT #14 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:36 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostPerco_lator, on 29 October 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Not really what I was asking but thanks for the cut & paste WG support like answer.

You may want to try restarting all your network equipment for better results.

Perco_lator #15 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 29 October 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

You may want to try restarting all your network equipment for better results.

Do you think you can have a look at my pongflipper & EcksDee dialer results?  I need an expert opinion.

MARS_REVENANT #16 Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostPerco_lator, on 29 October 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Do you think you can have a look at my pongflipper & EcksDee dialer results?  I need an expert opinion.

This may be caused by the electrical feed to your house.  Please contact your local electricity supplier to ensure the proper voltage is being supplied.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 30 October 2017 - 03:59 AM.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #17 Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:16 AM

First Lieutenant

• 116 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

read about these... Line Conditioners: Electronics

maybe you guys could come together over split ends... common ground unites

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

losttwo #18 Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Thanks for making these videos.

Captain_Rownd #19 Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

Senior Airman

• 125 battles
It looks like it takes 50000 XP to get a pilot from 50% to 100% proficiency?  Looking at the tech trees the first planes that take more than 50000 XP to research are at Tier VII, which suggests that pilots won't reach 100% proficiency until some time through Tier VI planes, unless you really decide to keep some in maybe Tier V.  (Then you get to demote them back to 50% to move them to the next Tier plane.)  Of course in the free-to-play model we're being encouraged to spend $ to have non-potato pilots, but always knocking pilots down to 50% in planes they really can't get to 100% in seems pretty extreme to me. Does it start to make sense to spash cash on them for 90% initial proficiency at Tier V, or wait until Tier VI?  At some point presumably the proficiency edge provided by the initial 100k outlay pays back after a certain number of battles. 

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 30 October 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

It looks like it takes 50000 XP to get a pilot from 50% to 100% proficiency?  Looking at the tech trees the first planes that take more than 50000 XP to research are at Tier VII, which suggests that pilots won't reach 100% proficiency until some time through Tier VI planes, unless you really decide to keep some in maybe Tier V.  (Then you get to demote them back to 50% to move them to the next Tier plane.)  Of course in the free-to-play model we're being encouraged to spend $ to have non-potato pilots, but always knocking pilots down to 50% in planes they really can't get to 100% in seems pretty extreme to me. Does it start to make sense to spash cash on them for 90% initial proficiency at Tier V, or wait until Tier VI?  At some point presumably the proficiency edge provided by the initial 100k outlay pays back after a certain number of battles. 

It is so easy/quick to grind up tiers of planes that it doesn't make sense to spend silver or gold to retrain your pilots through the low tiers.  It also doesn't take very long to get a pilot to 100% or get the first 1 or 2 skill points while playing tier VI.  WG revised their pilots and skills so that you cant switch pilots around for free, so I now have a pilot dedicated to each plane, including my premiums as it just saves silver and time.

My advice to you would be to only use 1 pilot once you reach tier 6 and keep him for the rest of the tiers so you are playing with a skilled pilot.  Of course it would be up to you if you wanted to retrain him every time you wanted to play lower tiers, but I would just get a new pilot for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users