Ground Attack, tips and advice for a new player welcome.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Bear_82 #21 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:18 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 28 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostBeornotns, on 24 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I was under the impression that ammo is only "base" purchased with credits and "premium" purchased with gold.  In tanks there is a drop down window to change it from gold to credits, but I do not see that in the WoWP UI.  Am I completely blind?

~B

you are not blind, there is no such option in planes

basic ammo is free, universal is purchased with credits, all other ammo is gold only

TitiuBlack #22 Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Senior Airman

• 243 battles
Universal ammo do the job!

MagusGerhardt #23 Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTitiuBlack, on 25 October 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Universal ammo do the job!

This guy knows the Gospel!

Free ammo is for rookies who don't know they can change ammo types.

Gold ammo is for noobs who think it gives them an advantage worth the real money cost. (It doesn't)

Universal ammo is for pilots who know what's up and know how to make a good return on investment for their credits.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #24 Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostSnarky_Wombat, on 25 October 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

Pyantoryng,

Can you please demystify that comment for me?  Why only kill the gun and leave the buildings intact if red?

Thanks.

Here's a hint:

Spoiler

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 25 October 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

This guy knows the Gospel!

Free ammo is for rookies who don't know they can change ammo types.

Gold ammo is for noobs who think it gives them an advantage worth the real money cost. (It doesn't)

Universal ammo is for pilots who know what's up and know how to make a good return on investment for their credits.

On free ammo, I beg to differ.

Free Ammo is for those scrooge that think their combat prowess alone will carry them through the battles...or just broke from buying too many T8-10 planes on sale or buying consumables/equipments in bulk on sale. Standard ammo really is the panacea for poverty.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Pogo68 #25 Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
Stock cannon ammo is ok,  machine guns though, Universal works better.
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Snarky_Wombat #26 Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Thanks Pyantoryng,

I was under the impression buildings regenerated regardless of partial damage or full destruction but good to know.  Not sure why it's such a secret though.

As for universal ammo, yes I am a rookie and freely admit I know very little about the game which is why I asked.  I am happy that the universal ammo is also useful for attack ground targets, I never knew you could set them on fire too.

Any other advice for a new GA player other than do what you can and wait to die? :)

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 26 October 2017 - 12:49 AM.

Hans_Sprungfeld #27 Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 714 battles
  • [MARS-] MARS-

I had no idea universal ammo affected GA significantly (I didn't know mining equipment could get its wings shot off!), thanks!

One thing I've learned is the importance of learning how many ordnance shots certain targets should take to take out. For example, the battleships get destroyed by 3 IL-2 rockets, so I usually fire 2 and then give it a little gun run, Pillboxes take 2 rockets, etc. While it's usually better to just use your cannons, you often only have a second or two on a target before you need to maneuver (or you'll overfly it, etc.) and knowing you'll get the kill if you snap off 2 rockets will let you save the rest for the next target.

Also, hunt enemy ground attack when you get a chance. You have the cannons to get through their armor, you can actually keep a tail, and they're slow enough to hit reliably even with derpy 37mms on the IL-2. Once their GA is dead, you don't have to worry about your GT kills getting stolen by the reds.

Captain_Rownd #28 Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

Senior Airman

• 125 battles

I did another mission with the TSh-3 to finish it off by getting enough XP to unlock the next Tier plane (proto IL-2), and promptly sold it and I'm going to give up on ground attack planes for while.  Flying near the ground I don't have the chance to switch to the rear gunner for any meaningful amount of time, and even if I did I'd miss the chance to actually attack ground targets. 

18 tokens to unlock a new hangar slot is a real bummer.  I've been stuck on 17 for a while, having to sell planes I'd rather keep, and I get the impression it will take me a month or more to get to the next 18.

LMG #29 Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

As a seasoned GAA player, I can say that playing with a GAA is not for everyone. You don't have much control over the course of battle, you're basically dead if a decent opponent gets on your tail, you're slow, you don't turn very well, and the game plays a lot slower than usual. That said, I personally still consider it fun to blow stuff up (and looking at the scenery), though you need to understand when and where you should try to be, otherwise you'll just get torn to shreds every single time. Also, don't expect to win many battles; plane kills count for a lot more than most ground targets, so it takes one ally crashing into a bunker or a defense aircraft to ruin your day. You can influence the flow of battle, but actually giving your team the win is a rare occurrence

In general you want to be where the enemy is not. It only takes one semi-decent fighter to shoot down a GAA, so trying to avoid contact with the enemy is crucial. Another thing is to distinguish which ground targets are soft and which are armored. Soft targets are marked with a dot, armored ones are marked with a square. Use your rockets and bombs on armored targets (usually one of either with a bit of added gunfire is enough), and keep your guns pointed at softer ones. Lastly, keep in mind that the two available GAA lines play very differently. German GAAs in general are better at taking on enemy planes than the soviet line, and soviet GAAs make short work of almost any ground target while the german line can struggle a bit with the tougher ones.

Perrigrino #30 Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Master Sergeant

• 352 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

Use to be, if the Attack Aircraft (AA) or Ground Attack Aircraft (GAA) or Ground Attack (GA) - {wish we could arrive at a common name and abbreviation} could fly at less-than 50m and would go undetected to any enemy planes at a certain range above (I think Magus might know what the height was? There may also be info in the Developers Blog ). Anyway, not sure if this has been done away with. I have not experienced it myself - trying to fly <50m "off the deck" (above ground). It was an excellent strategy to sneak into enemy territory unobserved and undetected except for marker going off on the mini-map denoting that allied Ground Targets (GT) were being hammered. This effectively told allied pilots where to look on the map. 

If this has been removed, WG should consider bringing it back, or maybe they already have?

Thank you for clarifying  the respawn of AA, pyangtoryng. Two weeks later and I'm still finding things out, re-learning, again. In fact I remember seeing red infrastructure respawn from the bomber sight but wasn't sure what was going on or why, and too focused at the task of trying to figure out how the double site was working and whether auto-pilot still allowed for maneuverability, and how that Zero got way the hell up here? A lot to take in, from the ground up.

I have not seen any specific information describing what causes GT to respawn/ or not, posted on the Rules for V.2., whether from AA or Bomber destruction?

Perrigrino #31 Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

Master Sergeant

• 352 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

I thought MARS did a nice job of providing some ideas on tactics and strategy for you Snarky in his video re: AA  posted in Ask_MARS_Anything thread, ( found in SubForum: Game Guides, Tactics, Tutorials: http://forum.worldof...mars-anything/  )  even though he didn't achieve the set of objectives you asked for in every battle, it's always an eye opener watching someone else's style and strategizing,

The respawning of enemy sector infrastructure made me think of Magus and his new Blenheim Bombing video : http://forum.worldof...-bombing-in-20/ which is great in and off itself, but you get to see the "red" sector regenerate / respawn, which hasn't received a lot of attention.- but then again,...  I have yet to read the last post / word on everything related.:amazed: and not...

Edited by Perrigrino, 31 October 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Snarky_Wombat #32 Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Hey Perrigrino, yes I agree.  Mars's advice has helped me out a bit, the actual objective play was as expected just with better aim!  The gold for me was the rational behind the flights and the little tidbits in there, really good stuff. 

I think at least some of the issues I am having seem to latency related.  I am Australian and are at the mercy of physics and crappy peering!  I average around 270-300ms and am noticing difficulties with place-in-time timings.  I have made an effort to lead just a bit more (even on ground targets) and even though the game sometimes registers a miss I am actually doing damage.  That and naturally better aim is helping a lot. 

The biggest help seems to have been switching to universal ammo.  I didn't think that had any effect on ground targets, I was rather wrong about that too. 

I still have problems with the 5 neutral and 10 AA kill missions but I have accepted I have to have a personally good game, on the right map, with the right team and lots of luck actually getting the kills for ground targets to succeed, but it can be done.  I just wish it was a bit easier!  Sometimes I get jealous of the fighters :D

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 31 October 2017 - 10:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users