Ground Attack, tips and advice for a new player welcome.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Snarky_Wombat #1 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Hi all,

I am a new player and am finding I like the idea of GA aircraft and tactics but am having some issues being effective.  After a few hours I found myself asking, "Is it supposed to be this hard?".  I rarely get a section filled out or more than 4K-ish on the results board, in fact I find most of the sections to be almost impossible to achieve.  That said, when I fly a fighter I can do far better with less effort.  Is this GA problem or am I doing something wrong?

I am currently playing T4/5 with Soviet attack craft and am having a hard time completely destroying ground targets and going more than a run or two without getting blown out of the sky.  I can take out a target or two with bombs and rockets if I have any but then I have only the guns to try and take out some individual ground targets before being killed.  Not really all that effective, or at least requires hard work and luck to do well. 

In my first run I try to come in low and fast taking out light and heavy AA as best I can with guns and bombs, then swing around and try to kill ground small target modules in an effort to fully kill a target, hoping not to get a fighter or such on my tail that I can't shake.

Any tips or advice on how to play effectively (general question I know)?

gerr22 #2 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 290 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
use universal ammo 

Snarky_Wombat #3 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles
Universal ammo?  Sorry, I don't know what that is?  Is that premium ammo?  If so I would rather workout a strategy that isn't reliant of ammo-for-gold. 

Wesrin #4 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 254 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Universal ammo is paid for with credits. It drastically increases the chance to cause fires and critically hit.

GT elimination only counts if you destroy all the components of a ground target (ex. The AA gun and 3 ancillary buildings near it). Larger GTs mean more capture points. Machine guns do good against unarmored targets but suck against hardened targets,  whereas cannons are able to deal significant damage to things like pillboxes and bunkers.

Destroying the AA sites is a good way to rack up capture points right away, and it also makes it easier for other aircraft to assist you. If you get an aircraft on your tail the best thing to do is slow down and let them overshoot you, or bomb kill them. GA need cover to do their job well, but later on when you get really deadly tail gunners you'll find taking control of your TG (default T key) and shooting them is very effective. You get a big damage bonus for manually controlling your TG.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

_JollyRodge_ #5 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

Airman Basic

• 64 battles
Universal is credit based. More expensive, but it does use credits. Incendiaries and all other ammo types besides Standard and Universal however are gold based

Snarky_Wombat #6 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Thanks guys, I thought the only other ammo was premium, a concept I will not reward with cash.  However, would this ammo be effective attacking ground targets?  Extra fire and crit chance seem irrelevant to these?

Tanks Wesrin for your input, all a learning experience.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 24 October 2017 - 11:56 AM.

Wesrin #7 Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 254 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSnarky_Wombat, on 24 October 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks guys, I thought the only other ammo was premium, a concept I will not reward with cash.  However, would this ammo be effective attacking ground targets?  Extra fire and crit chance seem irrelevant to these?

Tanks Wesrin for your input, all a learning experience.

Yes, crit and fire chance affect GTs. The universal ammo also does more base damage. Setting fire to a GT does a percentage of its total HP over time, and even the smallest MG can set fires quickly.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Good advice here on switching up to Universal type ammo, at least on your machine guns, as the cannon ammo can get quite pricey as you move up in tier.  Damage that you can do from fire is damage that doesn't require you to fire and heat up your guns, or it's damage you can do to one target while you are firing at a different one, allowing your attacker to do "double duty" so to speak.

The other thing I can advise you on is to memorize how much damage the rockets and bombs dish out on every attacker you have, and compare that to the health of ground targets you are firing at.  Use only what is needed in terms of rockets and bombs to finish off a target; don't waste your ordnance.  This will allow you to make the largest impact possible for each respawn of your bombs and rockets.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #9 Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

There are times that you want to secure the kill and thus spend what you need to level that target completely. Leave no trace for enemy to steal the points during contest for neutral territory and steal the damaged targets from enemy where possible during such scenario.

...and only shoot the gun part of the AA guns and leave them alone if they are red...I'll leave you to meditate on that point of why it should be so. On note of AA guns, never use ordnance on the ones that have only unarmored parts if you can help it.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Captain_Rownd #10 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Senior Airman

• 125 battles

My problem with flying the ground attack planes is that I just become a fat XP pinata for any nearby fighter.  I can destroy one or two ground targets, then I get shot down right away.  Looking at the win/loss percentages I get the impression that I'm a primary factor in that long string of losses when I tried flying the ground attack planes.  (It's really hard to get XP for upgrades and progression that way)  I'm not sure if I should zoom straight through on linear passes, hitting a couple targets and then flying directly away far from the furball to turn around and come back for another pass later, or does that take too much time?

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 24 October 2017 - 08:36 PM.

GeorgePatton #11 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 14 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 24 October 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

My problem with flying the ground attack planes is that I just become a fat XP pinata for any nearby fighter.  I can destroy one or two ground targets, then I get shot down right away.  Looking at the win/loss percentages I get the impression that I'm a primary factor in that long string of losses when I tried flying the ground attack planes.  (It's really hard to get XP for upgrades and progression that way)  I'm not sure if I should zoom straight through on linear passes, hitting a couple targets and then flying directly away far from the furball to turn around and come back for another pass later, or does that take too much time?

If you get an enemy fighter on your tail, try using the manual tail gunner (press 't' by default) and firing more often than the automatic tail gunner does. I've had some success with that. I'm going to experiment a little with going away from a contested area as that doesn't give a fighter any points for a kill but I don't know if enough players know that or if the better players wouldn't take the opportunity to take me out anyway - it's an experimental tactic I'm going to try, after all!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Captain_Rownd #12 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Senior Airman

• 125 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 24 October 2017 - 08:40 PM, said:

If you get an enemy fighter on your tail, try using the manual tail gunner (press 't' by default) and firing more often than the automatic tail gunner does.

I'd think I'd crash, or does it go into some kind of autopilot mode?  I'm on the TSh-3

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 24 October 2017 - 08:50 PM.

GeorgePatton #13 Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 14 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

It flies straight in the direction you had been flying - but I think it may take a few seconds to level off. I haven't really paid that much attention to what the plane does while I'm using the TG, to be honest.

Cheers!
Glenn

MagusGerhardt #14 Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGeorgePatton, on 24 October 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

It flies straight in the direction you had been flying - but I think it may take a few seconds to level off. I haven't really paid that much attention to what the plane does while I'm using the TG, to be honest.

Cheers!
Glenn

Don't engage the Tailgunner mode with a mountain in front of you and you should be fine.  She flies straight and level while you're in control of the rear gun, though your keyboard flight control buttons remain active, so you can make her roll, pitch and yaw to keep that gun on target.

Just remember that if you do any of those moves, you are no longer flying straight and narrow and should occasionally look to see where you are going so you don't lawn dart the beast.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Beornotns #15 Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

Senior Airman

• 128 battles
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-

I was under the impression that ammo is only "base" purchased with credits and "premium" purchased with gold.  In tanks there is a drop down window to change it from gold to credits, but I do not see that in the WoWP UI.  Am I completely blind?

~B

I am a newb scrub who started after 2.0.  I know...  I am truly sorry.  But this is looking fun!

Bubba_Zanetti #16 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 24 October 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

Don't engage the Tailgunner mode with a mountain in front of you and you should be fine.  She flies straight and level while you're in control of the rear gun, though your keyboard flight control buttons remain active, so you can make her roll, pitch and yaw to keep that gun on target.

Just remember that if you do any of those moves, you are no longer flying straight and narrow and should occasionally look to see where you are going so you don't lawn dart the beast.

I have’t played for a few days, nor ga too much, and not the tail gunner (probably assumed only bombers had TG control). Either way, good to know flight controls still work in TG mode.  Would (I think Q) the key to check your 6 work in reverse when playing TG?  One would think yes, but with this company/dev...

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

Senior Airman

• 125 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 24 October 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

When attacked I'm usually already flying very low hitting targets in the zones.  I haven't had an opportunity to try it. 

GeorgePatton #18 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 14 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 24 October 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

I have’t played for a few days, nor ga too much, and not the tail gunner (probably assumed only bombers had TG control). Either way, good to know flight controls still work in TG mode.  Would (I think Q) the key to check your 6 work in reverse when playing TG?  One would think yes, but with this company/dev...

I'm not sure on that and the game won't load for me today... keep getting a fatal error and internet is too slow to reinstall... 

Cheers!
Glenn

Snarky_Wombat #19 Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Pyantoryng,

Block Quote

and only shoot the gun part of the AA guns and leave them alone if they are red...I'll leave you to meditate on that point of why it should be so

Can you please demystify that comment for me?  Why only kill the gun and leave the buildings intact if red?

Thanks.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 25 October 2017 - 04:25 AM.

Snarky_Wombat #20 Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:55 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles

Block Quote

Exactly the issue I am having too.  I don't mind being a target for fighters if I could more easily be effective on the ground.  Problem is Im not and still get obliterated.  I get the feeling GA aircraft are at the mercy of having teamamtes that cover you more than anything else, especially as a low tier Soviet GA plane as they don't have any tail gunners at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users