Capture Point value of ground targets?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ramp4ge #1 Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles

Is there anywhere that this information is provided? I'd like to know what the capture point value differences are between hardened ground targets and soft ground targets and which are more efficient to go after. 

Just got the 50mm for the Ju-88 and can finally crack the hardened targets pretty easily, but I don't see any documentation on what structures/targets are worth what amount of capture points.

Also, what, in general, is a good number for capture points in a ground attack plane? I mean, just looking at the other team, I turned 220 capture points and that was by far more capture points than anyone else in the game, yet I could not keep zones captured or capture them fast enough to matter.

amade #2 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

Points for GTs are listed here:

http://forum.worldof...mode-all-about/

However, I haven't actually figured out in-battle which is which, apart from guessing e.g. AA emplacements are small targets, factories are large targets, etc.

Edited by amade, 24 October 2017 - 08:26 AM.

Snarky_Wombat #3 Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles
  • [ANZAL] ANZAL

Good question.  I am still very new but am facing similar issues.  I am finding it really hard to really achieve anything or have significant impact with a GA aeroplane.  Love to hear your strategies as you work them out!

Amade,

For buildings, I am guessing the;

- Small dot icon is a small target.

- Bold dot icon is a medium target.

- Bold square icon is a large, armored target.

For AA;

- The triangle are light machine gun weapons used to kill low flying aircraft

- The larger pentagonal icon is a heavy AA gun used to kill high altitude aircraft.

I think that is about right, feel free to correct me anyone.

But I do have a question from the forum post linked, sorry to hijack but I think it's relevant.

Block Quote

In order to establish control over the territory, the team needs to destroy targets inside it.

Number of capture points earned per target:

• Small ground objects: 15-20 CP.
  • Medium ground objects: 20-50 CP.
  • Large ground objects: 50-80 CP.

What does "target" mean?  Is it each individual building or AA gun that is marked with an icon or, does it mean the group of buildings or an entire AA emplacement.  I am thinking there is a difference between a target and a group of targets?

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 24 October 2017 - 11:34 AM.

amade #4 Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

View PostSnarky_Wombat, on 24 October 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

What does "target" mean?  Is it each individual building or AA gun that is marked with an icon or, does it mean the group of buildings or an entire AA emplacement.  I am thinking there is a difference between a target and a group of targets?

A ground target is made up of multiple components. To get cap points from it, you must destroy each component. E.g. a typical AA emplacement ground target consists of a gun, 1-3 small armored buildings and/or 1-3 soft buildings. You must destroy all of the components to get cap points from it.

Below is a screenie from the online tutorial:

Spoiler

Edited by amade, 24 October 2017 - 12:30 PM.

Snarky_Wombat #5 Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles
  • [ANZAL] ANZAL

Amade, you are a legend!  Thanks for the explanation even though I really should have paid more attention to the tutorial it seems! 

Cheers mate.

ramp4ge #6 Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles

Thanks for this. This is extremely helpful.

It almost seems to me that there is an imbalance between the value of sector defense planes and ground targets.

Just the last game I played, I rolled:

215 capture points

74 "sections of ground targets" destroyed

12 actual ground targets destroyed

37,587 damage done to ground targets

634 to aircraft

I captured 1 sector with all that damage.

The top scoring plane on my team (I was 2nd) was a P-40.

He scored 1,168 damage against planes, 0 against ground targets, got 200 capture points, captured 3(!) sectors (with only 1,168 damage) and secured pole position even though he had 3,200 less combat points than I did, less capture points than I did.

Fighter play just seems absurdly rewarding, points-wise, compared to ground attack.

Edited by ramp4ge, 25 October 2017 - 02:41 AM.

Snarky_Wombat #7 Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:51 AM

Master Sergeant

• 162 battles
  • [ANZAL] ANZAL

Exactly my experiences too Ramp4ge.  I wonder if the sector capture requirements are just too high for GA?  To fill up the sectors captures meter you need, 4? 5? captures?  How is that even possible with the planes being a slow as they are?  Even if there was a possibility of 4 or 5 sectors to capture at all, transitioning to them in a slow plane seems to be impossible.

Is this a case of too much being asked of attack craft or the mode simply favors aircraft that can get about and have a low time to kill/capture?

I have no idea how higher tiers go though, this is just my experience as a new player.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat, 25 October 2017 - 02:52 AM.

ramp4ge #8 Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles

That's pretty much the gist of it.

I was playing a game a few nights ago in the Ju-88, which is reasonably quick but it's not fast by any means. It's better than the Hs 129, at least. It was on Archipelago, and it was late so it ended up with me and 14 bots vs a player in a P-51D and 14 bots.

Needless to say, I had no hope of winning the game. The P-51 quickly captured all the points, waited until I captured one, came behind me and captured it before I even got to the next one. That one player had all 4 objectives red the entire game and I could literally do nothing about it. 

I enjoy ground attack, but honestly it seems fighters and multi-roles flip objectives way faster than ground attack planes with much less actual effort and are rewarded better for it.

Edited by ramp4ge, 25 October 2017 - 03:50 AM.

amade #9 Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:03 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

Shooting down planes is an easier way to gain CP, true.

But for very important sectors which have no air defense/enemy planes (e.g. industrial plants), ground targets are your only option, and for that you need something with bombs.

Though to be honest, even so I would prefer a Heavy Fighter or Multirole over GA or Bomber, since they can destroy both planes and GTs effectively.

My tactic for a sector with no air defense/enemy planes defending it is to bomb out one or two hard targets then either strafe the soft ones or lure an enemy plane into the sector so I can kill it to gain the leftover CPs. If the sector is already halfway or close to being captured, I will spend my bombs on a large target and hope that it gives enough CP to fully capture the sector.

If you have an important sector that needs to be taken that only has GTs but you have no player with bombs, then as a fighter your only hope is to draw both your team and the enemy team into that sector and duke it out until one side gains enough points. Not only is this method risky, there's no guarantee you can get the two teams to do it in the first place. So a player controlled GA/Bomber is still better than having no player with bombs at all.

Orion03 #10 Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 530 battles
You have to destroy the entire ground target to gain the capture points. That's a real pain and I find it hard.

ramp4ge #11 Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles

It's not hard, it's just time consuming. Especially if you have 1 gun that doesn't have massive burst damage, like the Ju-88.

I mean if you're Soviet you fly in, spam some rockets, drop some bombs and life is good. If you're a Ju-88 you have 1 50mm cannon that takes 5 shots per hardened target, and some target groups have 5, 6 or 7 targets. So it takes multiple passes to knock out that target group. Meanwhile, fighters shred defense aircraft in seconds, or someone gets the last bit of health off of the last target section in a group you've been working on and gets the credit for the ground target kill.

GA planes, especially German GA planes, just have to work a lot harder than fighters and multi-role planes. But it feels rewarding at the same time when you get a good game. I just wish it was easier to see the impact. 

Gartzen66 #12 Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

Airman Basic

• 18347 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

Hi, wich is the armored ground target?

legoboy0401 #13 Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1773 battles

View PostGartzen66, on 11 February 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi, wich is the armored ground target?

Armored ground targets are marked with squares, whereas unarmored ones are marked with circles(both are shaded)

Edited by legoboy0401, 11 February 2019 - 08:57 PM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

LMG #14 Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 11 February 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

Armored ground targets are marked with squares, whereas unarmored ones are marked with circles(both are shaded)

This. Individual buildings are marked the same. If you have issues telling them apart, here's a mod that'll help you out :great::

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/53733-mod-for-ground-object-types-by-armor-in-color/

Edited by LMG, 12 February 2019 - 04:42 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users