Guide Video Review Yak-7 Yakovlev

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

2.0 has brought many changes to the game, affecting how each of the pre-existing classes plays in a battle and how their pilots should strategize their approach to victory.  Few were affected as much as the Soviet multirole fighters were, and it was a positive change for them; most fighter-to fighter dogfighting now happens in their backyard.  Defensive fighters over neutral territories naturally spawn in the altitude band that Yakovlev's frequent, and their rockets are perfect for knocking out a handful of light AA guns on the ground to make their job easier in the fight.

No fighter in the game lives up to the term "multirole" as much as the heavy Yak series does.  Depending on pilot skills and optional equipment chosen, the Yak-7 can act as a little IL-2, focusing on rockets and assisting the ILs on its team in Ground pounding superiority, or it can focus on its cannon and concentrate on shooting down enemy fighters and ground attackers.

The Yak-7 is surprisingly agile for the amount of weapons it carries; a 37mm hub cannon, a pair of Soviet 50 cal MGs and a half dozen R series rockets.  Compared to other turn-focused aircraft at tier V, the Yak is a flying arsenal.

The Yak's greatest failing is her lack of speed; it takes quite a while for her to get anywhere on a map, so be aware that transit from one cap node to the next will keep you out of combat for long periods of time.  Consider defending a capture point after securing it for your team; if the enemy comes to you, you don't need to chase them down.

Good hunting!  

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MagusGerhardt #2 Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Late note:  I erroneously stated that Aerodynamics Expert is not optimal.  Exactly the opposite is true, especially if you are focusing on a maneuverability-centric build rather than a durability focused one.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

3% bonus to maneuverability.

10x0.03=10.03

that piece of equipment is basically useless.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MagusGerhardt #4 Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 21 October 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

3% bonus to maneuverability.

10x0.03=10.03

that piece of equipment is basically useless.

I disagree; under testing circumstances a Yak-7 built for agility easily outperformed a Yak-7 built for survivability.

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 21 October 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

I disagree; under testing circumstances a Yak-7 built for agility easily outperformed a Yak-7 built for survivability.

Against a live player? No that I don't trust you, but unless you can prove that a Yak with equipment to improve turning out performs one without in a 1v1 duel I'll keep my skepticism. No pressure to prove me wrong.:)

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MagusGerhardt #6 Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:19 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 21 October 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Against a live player? No that I don't trust you, but unless you can prove that a Yak with equipment to improve turning out performs one without in a 1v1 duel I'll keep my skepticism. No pressure to prove me wrong.:)

No problem, man.  With the way the math displayed, I would agree it does seem dubious.

Single battle, two human players, with the setup being handled beforehand.  One of us was built to be tough; the other agile.  The outcome was agility over endurance.

mnbv_fockewulfe #7 Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
You in the game right now? I've been dying to do some testing with a  real player.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:24 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 21 October 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

You in the game right now? I've been dying to do some testing with a  real player.

Not right now; Saturday is D&D day, because I'm not just a history nerd...I'm a HUGE nerd.  :P

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I typically get on Friday evenings, you got a TS channel I can join?

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

MagusGerhardt #10 Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:50 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 21 October 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

I typically get on Friday evenings, you got a TS channel I can join?

DRACS ditched TS months ago for Discord.  Get with MelBrooks and he should be able to invite ya! 

Swayin #11 Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Airman Basic

• 491 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 22 October 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Not right now; Saturday is D&D day, because I'm not just a history nerd...I'm a HUGE nerd.  :P

my advice to you is to roll high!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users