Do You Really Think They Took Away Features?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you really think they took away features? (19 members have cast votes)

Do you really think they took away features?

1. Yes they took them away, and they don't want us to have them (8 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. No, they just disabled them, they always meant to "give them back" to us (7 votes [36.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Other - explain in a post below (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

MARS_REVENANT #1 Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:06 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Tin Foil Hat Time

I have been thinking about this a little bit.  I wonder if we are being baited a bit.  I am not a game programmer, so I dont know how much work this entails, but why would they have hidden controls that are simply locked out of the current game?  During phase 1 of the Closed Public Test, we didn't have a pitch up key.  Now we don't have flaps control.  Yet, modders are able to go into the files and make these controls available to us again.

Why would programmers waste time making these controls, and then lock them out to us.

Simple theory - They were holding them back in order to give them back to us.  They presented something that was awful, only to give us something that they meant to include all along, except they are making it look like they were listening to us and bringing parts of the game "back".  Everything like the flaps control is probably still available in the game code, just turned off right now.

The stuff that they won't bring back, even though we have been asking for it like everything else, are the things that they never intended for us to have any longer, so they didn't bother to update the programming to include it in the 2.0 release.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

DrSinister #2 Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:17 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Or just not double checking their coding when they redo the file.  Also, I have noticed that there is a lot of old files that still sit around and do nothing because it was an old feature from back in the Closed Beta days that got removed.

The thing is that with the keybinds, reason it can be added back into the game is that at least one of the controls still uses that key, so they probably removed it from the mouse on purpose and wants mouse users to use auto flaps all the time instead of manually using them, but since JS and Gamepad still has it as a  key that needs to be manually used, then the game already is coded for it so by adding the xml line code in the mouse xml to make it reappear as able to be mapped again.

Perco_lator #3 Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles
For the scenario you are describing that would have required forethought on WG part, I don't think that was the case here. What I do believe happened is that they had intended on including the advanced controls from the start but removed access to them because they wanted to keep things simple for the new & casual players.

TokyoExpress #4 Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 146 battles

Who the hell knows with Persha. They are far and away the worst of the three trilogy developers and have made some of the most bizarre choices in the development of this game.

What I can tell you is this: regardless of their reasoning, they have once again chosen poorly. Even if they restore said items in an upcoming patch, it's already too late. Many, if not most of vets of 1.9, are never going to come back. Damage is done.

Edited by TokyoExpress, 21 October 2017 - 07:10 PM.

fallanger #5 Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• 78 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I believe the game developer needed more of use to play and to pay, that simple really. Some of us enjoy saying how they never have to pay and the game is free. So be it, but utter rubbish. This is just a new angle to get more folks playing. For someone like me, an average player this game is rubbish. Always has been, but a keen distraction after work.  Now I can see how a once interesting and entertaining challenge to the senses is now totally arcade. Gone is my own sense of clan membership and thrill. I might as well just plunk my quarters in one by one. My planes feel nerfed too. But here was the single most discouraging thing. Admiral Jingles, the self proclaimed champion of the below average players on any game, likes it. That was the most discouraging bit. I feel the direction the game has taken is no longer in alignment with what I call fun nor is it fun. I didn't mind chasing a cursor around and grinding, it was fine because I usually got to test my skill or my ETOH level in my bloodstream. I am not spending any more valuable time on this rubbish. Bring back the old features, bring back the old maps and for GOD SAKE make it a real challenge again.  

Conal_Cochran #6 Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 17 battles
Even if they put it back in it probably wont work as well if it all...the plane view and mechanics will still be off underneath it all. A plane on strings will still feel crappy with flaps etc.

Zapperguy #7 Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I don't believe WG is clever enough for your theory, Mars. We all know they have a long history of rushing out patches before addressing reported issues and/or complaints.

Their reason was stated pretty clearly by Priolia, regarding WG's "vision" for this game. They will listen to any feedback that goes along with their vision for the future of the game.

Priolia, on 25 Sep 2017 - 14:01 said:

By the way, we notify you, and even offer to speak out and even take into account your wishes to the extent that it does not contradict our vision of the development of the game.

So, I guess you could stretch that to mean things like intentional "bugs", but there would need to be some heavy metals in that tin hat of yours for it to be true.

:)

View PostDrSinister, on 21 October 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

Or just not double checking their coding when they redo the file.  Also, I have noticed that there is a lot of old files that still sit around and do nothing because it was an old feature from back in the Closed Beta days that got removed.

The thing is that with the keybinds, reason it can be added back into the game is that at least one of the controls still uses that key, so they probably removed it from the mouse on purpose and wants mouse users to use auto flaps all the time instead of manually using them, but since JS and Gamepad still has it as a  key that needs to be manually used, then the game already is coded for it so by adding the xml line code in the mouse xml to make it reappear as able to be mapped again.

Annnnddd, this ­­­­­­­­­­­ is why we call him Doctor.

:honoring:

SteelWheeler #8 Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I thought I posted (or was it removed?)

Yes they take it away, they don't want the good players to have an advantage.

They will break chat and take away the number of internet players so the new humans can not be told they are fighting bots.

The newbies don't read the forum, so they are clueless.

Have a nice game.

Pogo68 #9 Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostSteelWheeler, on 21 October 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

They will break chat and take away the number of internet players so the new humans can not be told they are fighting bots.

Have a nice game.

Easy enough to know if you're fighting a bot.

Left Alt key shows the name, remember most humans use callsigns or names that don't conform to the nationality of the plane.

Wait, mouse users don't have flap control?

Isn't it on the keyboard?

Mine is set to "F" and the "down" direction of the 2nd hat switch on my throttle.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

MARS_REVENANT #10 Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostZapperguy, on 21 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

I don't believe WG is clever enough for your theory, Mars. We all know they have a long history of rushing out patches before addressing reported issues and/or complaints.

Their reason was stated pretty clearly by Priolia, regarding WG's "vision" for this game. They will listen to any feedback that goes along with their vision for the future of the game.

So, I guess you could stretch that to mean things like intentional "bugs", but there would need to be some heavy metals in that tin hat of yours for it to be true.

Yeah... Dr. "SINISTER" Which makes sense with thes WG concocted plot.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

MARS_REVENANT #11 Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostSteelWheeler, on 21 October 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

Have a nice game.

I thought my tinfoil was pretty thick... hopefully they make a thicker gaege though.

View PostPogo68, on 21 October 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Left Alt key shows the name, remember most humans use callsigns or names that don't conform to the nationality of the plane.

Wait, mouse users don't have flap control?

Isn't it on the keyboard?

Mine is set to "F" and the "down" direction of the 2nd hat switch on my throttle.

Currently mouse users don't have control over flaps.  Some modders have brought it back, but you have to turn them off, not simply let go of the button.

anamals53 #12 Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• 285 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
The new flight model is hanging behind your plane in the hanger , flaps have little effect .:trollface:

Pogo68 #13 Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 21 October 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

I thought my tinfoil was pretty thick... hopefully they make a thicker gaege though.

Currently mouse users don't have control over flaps.  Some modders have brought it back, but you have to turn them off, not simply let go of the button.

Huh,,, I guess that explains why my Spitfire Ia was out turning a human player in an A6M3
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

SteelWheeler #14 Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostPogo68, on 21 October 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

If you can't be told (by broken chat) or never read the forum (like so many players) it's not easy to know.

New clueless players will think they are fighting humans for a while.

pyantoryng #15 Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
They are nerfing experienced players for the newly released game...that would explain the deprivation of instrumentation...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

mnbv_fockewulfe #16 Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postpyantoryng, on 22 October 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

They are nerfing experienced players for the newly released game...that would explain the deprivation of instrumentation...

I admit, as a newbie back in 1.0 I didn't have any of those things like, flaps, instrumentation, or radar enable. Then "DragonTalons" taught me things about the game and I got better and I started using those things.

Just because newbies don't use advanced HUD initially doesn't mean it should be completely removed...

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

fallanger #17 Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• 78 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostZapperguy, on 21 October 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

​Its just a bloody game and its reached the apogee of interest for me with this new build. Its arcade fun at best, for some that got their butts handed to them with the old game, it might be a blessing, it makes below average players somehow more successful I would wager, but still rubbish IMO. I think further development along the current lines might as well be mental masturbation, its still not the same as the old game.

Edited by fallanger, 01 November 2017 - 01:37 AM.

MARS_REVENANT #18 Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postfallanger, on 31 October 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

​Its just a bloody game and its reached the apogee of interest for me with this new build. Its arcade fun at best, for some that got their butts handed to them with the old game, it might be a blessing, it makes below average players somehow more successful I would wager, but still rubbish IMO. I think further development along the current lines might as well be mental masturbation, its still not the same as the old game.

Just a question... you stated that "for some that got their butts handed to them with the old game, it might be a blessing, it makes below average players somehow more successful I would wager" however your stats in 2.0 are:

Battles Fought
27.50%
Victories/Battles

So if the game was tailored for rubbish players to be more successful than the previous version, how do you explain your 27.50% W/R?  Or is this an improvement from your 1.9 stats?

Mercsn #19 Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 432 battles

"the old game" was like 0.8 or something, before they screwed up with hard altitude caps and ran a bunch of folks off by completely removing (or just totally breaking, I forget which) their control scheme.  I've just returned after a 2 year absence and the flying and shooting actually feels fun.  The altitude caps aren't quite as hard, or there's more play encouraged at mid/low level, and the game setup doesn't favor 1 American or German plane energy fighting 10 Russian, Brit, or Japanese opponents.  The stupid, wonky shotgun bullet dispersion seems fixed (although, partly through perks, instead of skill: good for equalizing the playing field; bad if you were an ace shot without perks).

I don't know how much of this happened in 2.0 or in builds prior.  And I'm amazed that the controls are so...lacking in customization when they used to be VERY customizable with simple, easy baseline settings if you weren't into "advanced" controls.

I fly with mouse. And I'm able to do wingovers, immelmans, and split-s maneuvers by reducing "level" and "roll" and using keys for yaw and roll in addition to mouse.  It is entertaining to do tier 7/8 where people are still either not comfortable moving into the vertical or haven't figured out how to with yaw/pitch keybinds.  And, OP, on that subject, if there wasn't a pitch up key or keybinds for yaw (not sure what all they've taken away and given back in 2 years), I wouldn't even bother with the game.

I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference with manual flaps...either in reducing airspeed or improving turning (and, shift was "boost" in another game I played and is the key I use for flaps here, so I'm fumbling that a bit and since there is no indicator I'm not always sure when they're deployed or not -which leads me to believe little to no noticeable effect).

I will say that for a player that hasn't played in 2 years, I think the game's actually fun again, in its current flight/shooting state.  The controls seem, at least, sufficient for flying and aiming.

I do miss the supremacy mechanic's straightforwardness compared to the current conquest, which seems even more confusing and random than the supremacy was.  Also, the respawn is neat, but I think some players forget to re-enter battle.  And, unless you visit the forums, it's not clear that the "squall" indicates the respawn cutoff.  There seriously needs to be an instruction page.

Oh, and the bots should either have to stay in the dang "zone" or give credit regardless of where they get shot down.  The last time I tried this game most players had jumped ship to the warships beta and queue times were 5-10 minutes with only a few people in queue and matches popping with 5 ish planes per team.  So, since we can't see the queue numbers now, I'm curious what magic they've done to get fast queues with bigger teams.  I guess more people must be playing.  I still see a lot of bad in tier 2 ish, so I'm guessing some must be new.

As for controls, these guys have a baaaad habbit of seriously messing that up for players.  TIP for the devs, if you're going to change up control schemes, just leave whatever exists as a "legacy" option for players that are enjoying your game with a given scheme.  It's not beta anymore...or is it?   Please treat it like it's actually "released" already.

Eh, a bit wandering in and out of topic there, but how the game works as a whole plays into how the controls work.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users