Warplanes 2.0 Blenheim Mk IV Blenheim Review Guide Video

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

hoom #41 Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Block Quote

i may be 'wiggling' too much trying to hit targets just outside of my straight line approach, so...  i'll be more patient and disciplined next time

Absolutely vital to be flying straight on release, the slightest turn sends the bomb far off target.

You can get away with small turns between targets if there is a decent gap.

Its often better to bomb a bit off-target but flying straight than to bomb with some wiggle.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

MagusGerhardt #42 Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Posthoom, on 03 December 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

Absolutely vital to be flying straight on release, the slightest turn sends the bomb far off target.

You can get away with small turns between targets if there is a decent gap.

Its often better to bomb a bit off-target but flying straight than to bomb with some wiggle.

Absolutely!  It is PARAMOUNT that you be flying straight and level for at least a second or two prior to bomb release.
The slightest bit of perturbation in your course from 2.5km above the ground results in massive deviations from where you intended the bomb to hit.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

hoom #43 Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Some further discussion on Equipment/Skills going on at http://forum.worldof...lls-discussion/

Has led me to try out a quite different setup than I'd been using :great:

Catch21 #44 Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Posthoom, on 05 December 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Some further discussion on Equipment/Skills going on at http://forum.worldof...ls-discussion/. Has led me to try out a quite different setup than I'd been using :great:

Yes, I posted there too, not sure whether to leave there (it was all 3 of the bomber package) or move it here (my post was ONLY on the Blen IV so maybe it better belongs here).

I started with this video for equipment/skills (thanks again!). The only thing I've changed is to use Improved Flaps I instead of the Rear Gun Stabilization I. Over and above what I mentioned there, I find changing direction slightly on bombing runs reduces accuracy (considerably?). A lower speed (and flaps reduce stall speed) helps with this, especially as you meander across a sector on a 2nd+ pass trying to hit those last individual targets to get the points for destroying a ground target completely.

On skills, one item I forgot to mention is you can use the Blen IV as a trainer as well as a good credit earner. Any British pilot can crew it with no penalty (as long as core aircraft proficiency is 100%) but there are none I've gone with Demolition Expert skills on (yet, and at least first), so what to do? Options:

1) Put Demolition Expert on your (e.g. Demon, Skua, Blen F, Beaufighter, Mosquito) pilot to swap them in to the Blen IV (when this is maybe not what you would have chosen for these aircraft as a 1st skill set) for maximum effectiveness on it maybe at the expense of his 'home' aircraft. I'm tending to having Demolition Expert on the Blen F as 1st skill set- it's got the same bomb load (and with 20mms in the nose, would Marksman be as effective a skill as on other aircraft?). 

2) Just slum it in the Blen IV. The pilot's a great marksman? Great, let's see how he does with our new bomb sight...

3) Keep the Blen IV pilot, rather than dismissing/retraining him for another aircraft.

Same issue with gunner, though your options here are limited to Demon, Skua, Blen F, Beaufighter, Wirraway. On all these, rear gunner skills seem far more crucial than on the Blen IV and I'd go with what the 'home' aircraft needs, usually with 1 point Endurance rather than Vigilance as I'd prefer on the Blen IV, then work up as suited to aircraft from there.

Others' thoughts appreciated.

MagusGerhardt #45 Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCatch21, on 05 December 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

Others' thoughts appreciated.

My thoughts are that there are many ways you can set up your bomber.  Just ensure that no matter what you are doing, that your crew skills overlap and boost the bonuses you get from the equipment you are mounting on her.

Personally, I recognized early on that my bombers would require a different skill setup on the pilot than I would have on any other aircraft, so I took my least played British heavy fighter crew (my Blenheim F) and moved them to the Mk IV, with no retraining.  I will retrain them to an RAF bomber whenever those come out.

Same thing for my A-26B and RB-17; well, for their pilots, at least.  All of my bombers now have pilots that are meant to be used in bombers and bombers only, while the tailgunner position is occupied by the most skilled gunner I have available.

UPDATE:  Yes, you read that right - I have the RB-17 now, and will be releasing a review and play video for her within the next day or so, along with a review on the Lockheed P-80A Shooting Star.  :playing:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #46 Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

Package...or tokens? I'm guessing the former...

It's a beast indeed...but requires some pretty specific circumstances for it to show its cheating power...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MagusGerhardt #47 Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 05 December 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

Package...or tokens? I'm guessing the former...

It's a beast indeed...but requires some pretty specific circumstances for it to show its cheating power...

Package.  I told my brother about something I got my nephew for Christmas while I was on the way home and by the time I got back I got an email notice of a gift on WG.net, and the SOB had gotten me the Bomber pack as an early Christmas gift.

Added bonus: Got a LOT of gold for the duplicate Invader and Blenny.

Catch21 #48 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

I initially went (posted here) with the following equipment:

1) Bomb Sight I

2) Engine Tuning I to get me up quicker and away faster too if pursued.

3) Improved Flaps I (to loiter over targets longer?) and for lower stall speed and better turning which seems to be useful up there.

Partly because they are all freely dismountable, unlike other options which cost 10 Gold to do so.

But in action, what I'm finding is:

1) It can take too long to climb to 3000m and often I couldn't get to it before you hit the first enemy position without circling before you headed in. A big time waster, and you can be needed quickly sometimes. The longer you take to gain control of a sector, the more your little friends have to battle the air defenses.

2) Airbases only have light flak positions, which can only reach up to 1170m in a Level 4 game. Optimum altitude is 1500m, above light flak and at this height you can achieve top speed of 420kph, to get you places fastest.

3) Heavy flak positions can reach up to 2925m in a Level 4 game, but the burst radius can be 100 or so metres upwards (not sure exact #?), so I'm finding even 3000m when I get to it isn't safe enough. Around 3100m seems the point AA cuts out completely (at Level 4, can anyone confirm?) but it takes forever to get that high, and see (4) below.

4) Your airspeed is drastically reduced up at 3000m in level flight (without boost), to around 100kph (stall speed is 90kph). That means when you do get up there it can take a L O N G time to cruise from sector to sector. Again, I find you can be needed quicker than you think. 

My first cut at equipment was no protection at all, just optimized to gain the 3000m above flak ASAP. But I'm finding 2 passes over a base with heavy flak positions intact proves terminal too many times. So now let's try for anti-heavy flak protection to allow cruising at optimum altitude/speed (1500m/240kph) to keep me safe from light flak, and safe enough from heavy flak to be able to destroy the positions before they take me out. Let's try: 

1) Concealing Livery I (to reduce AA, Rear Gun fire efficiency by 30%). This is dismountable for 10 Gold, but given my experiences with AA, I think we've got to go with this.

2) Bomb Sight I

3) Improved Flaps I

Cruising at 1500m means more danger from enemy aircraft, so I'll see how I fare between 1500-3000m with this. I may need to add more protection, we'll see, gotta start somewhere.

trikke #49 Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2048 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'm seeing human pilots making tremendous bank with the T3 Blennie...  i forgot his name, but one guy was Number One on his (enemy) team with 8k+ CP, and they beat us badly 

i was in a Ki, so i couldn't help, dammit

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Catch21 #50 Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

Hey, I'm a tank driver (WoT) press-ganged (disciplinary problems) into service with RAF Bomber Command. My max CP to date (16 battles) is 8840, my average CP is 4543, the machine earns between (rough guess) 50-100K (on premium- can you buy anything without it these days?). 

Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it. This machine can REALLY help pay for your way into upper levels (think 5-6).

And with those #s, in 16 battles the pilot's already a Demolition Expert (2 SP) and the gunner has Quick Reflexes (2 SP). When I get 3 on the gunner he'll be a Ballistics Expert and as a present we're gonna get him Rear Gun Stabilization I for 3rd equipment slot, so it'll be:

1) Concealing Livery I (15K)

2) Bomb Sight I (15K)

3) Rear Gun Stabilization I (50K) and using Universal Ammunition (1200/battle)

* Consumables: Manual FE, Manual FADP, CST

The last 2 slots are still free dismounts, so I can trial and error with last 2 slots from there, total cost of equipment gets covered in a couple of battles. 

Edited by Catch21, 07 December 2017 - 02:00 PM.

hoom #51 Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Block Quote

i'm seeing human pilots making tremendous bank with the T3 Blennie...  i forgot his name, but one guy was Number One on his (enemy) team with 8k+ CP, and they beat us badly 

8k? :P

I have an 15,210 battle in it with 29 ground target kills & that was a 5 human/side battle. A bunch of other battles over 10k.

Catch21 #52 Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostCatch21, on 07 December 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

When I get 3 on the gunner he'll be a Ballistics Expert and as a present we're gonna get him Rear Gun Stabilization I for 3rd equipment slot, so it'll be:

1) Concealing Livery I (15K)

2) Bomb Sight I (15K)

3) Rear Gun Stabilization I (50K) and using Universal Ammunition (1200/battle)

The last 2 slots are still free dismounts, so I can trial and error with last 2 slots from there, total cost of equipment gets covered in a couple of battles. 

Holy smokes! Just found out- now I got 3 SP on Rear Gunner- it takes 2 + 3 to get to Ballistics Expert for total 5 SPs. So no Christmas present for him. Q is what else with 3 SP on the Rear Gunner? And is it worth mounting Rear Gun Stabilization I without the Ballistic Expertise to stack it on?

Choices:

1) Defensive Fire (3)

2) Precision Gunner (3)

3) Some combination of a 2 SP + a 1 SP skill

I've also got an additional SP on the Pilot, total now 3 SP. I'm thinking add Fire Resistance on the Pilot (1 SP, I find when hit I light up) and Precision Gunner (3 SPs) but ideas appreciated (what did you go for?). 

MagusGerhardt #53 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Fire Resistance is a butt ability; only something to buy if you have absolutely nothing else to acquire or only one point to spend.

The Rear Gun Stab is useless (or near that) without Ballistics Expert to buff it.

pyantoryng #54 Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 08 December 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Fire Resistance is a butt ability; only something to buy if you have absolutely nothing else to acquire or only one point to spend.

The Rear Gun Stab is useless (or near that) without Ballistics Expert to buff it.

Probably better to take the thing that lets you extinguish fire in 2 sec of maneuvering instead of fire resistance if you think you get lit up too often...View Range is probably a better pick, lets you see enemies earlier when you are going solo...

RGS by itself is only good when the rear gun has long range to begin with...combined with Ballistics Expert it surprises in low tier and outright hillarious at high tier...aimbot-level accuracy firing and hitting from 1.5 clicks away is just lulz.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users