Jump to content


How to Blenheim: Guide to High Altitude Bombing in 2.0

Warplanes 2.0 Blenheim Mk IV Blenheim Review Guide Video

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

 

A new day, a new game and time to turn the page.  2.0 sets the meta of the previous game on its head, shifting the focus from a pure PVP game of aerial supremacy to one of conquest and strategy to control influence points on the map.


Intrinsic to this new game mode is the bomber class, something completely new to the game that arrived alongside this new battle mode.  Functioning somewhat like the ground attack aircraft that have always been in the game, there are some very large differences between the two that I cover here.  


This video, in addition to being a review of the Blenheim Mk IV, is also an introduction to the concept of high altitude level bombing in the new game, the thinking and planning that goes into playing an effective bomber, and what equipment and crew skills a rookie bomber pilot should be looking to collect!

 

Good hunting!  :honoring:


 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 116 battles
  • 2,097
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    01-26-2014

you have no idea how exciting that battle was for me... I'll need to take a nap after that one...

Thanks Mag ... no frosting... just the facts


if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.


mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 52 battles
  • 1,520
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013
I still say we should be able to set the fuses for our bombs.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


MagusGerhardt #4 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 20 October 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

you have no idea how exciting that battle was for me... I'll need to take a nap after that one...

Thanks Mag ... no frosting... just the facts

 

Heh; it's a bomber.  Pretty much the vehicle for anti-excitement until you step into the Douglas A-26B Invader.

 

My crew keeps themselves busy with tea and scones; brewed and cooked fresh in flight!  :D


 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 52 battles
  • 1,520
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 20 October 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

 

Heh; it's a bomber.  Pretty much the vehicle for anti-excitement until you step into the Douglas A-26B Invader.

 

My crew keeps themselves busy with tea and scones; brewed and cooked fresh in flight!  :D

 

Bombers should have been implemented like this:

Your in a bomber leading a group of fellow NPC or human bombers, you fly to the target get intercepted by fighters, drop of your bombs, get your live tail out of there and try to leave the map alive. If you die, no respawns.


Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


AncientRaig #6 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 109 battles
  • 14
  • [KRTFL] KRTFL
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I love bombing. Especially in the A-26. The level of salt that comes out of fighter jocks (especially people in low altitude single engine light fighters) when they get killed after climbing up to 3km and proceeding to sit on my tail in clear view of all my .50 cals is glorious. If you're going to climb up to me and then sit on my tail flying in a straight line shooting me, don't complain when you get shot down by my tail gunners. I'm not a ground attack plane, I can actually defend myself.

MagusGerhardt #7 Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostAncientRaig, on 20 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

I love bombing. Especially in the A-26. The level of salt that comes out of fighter jocks (especially people in low altitude single engine light fighters) when they get killed after climbing up to 3km and proceeding to sit on my tail in clear view of all my .50 cals is glorious. If you're going to climb up to me and then sit on my tail flying in a straight line shooting me, don't complain when you get shot down by my tail gunners. I'm not a ground attack plane, I can actually defend myself.

 

Good stuff!  I'm currently working on unlocking the A-26B Invader for free; she was one of my favorites to fly during the 2.0 test, though.   Don't be afraid to mix it up with her!  With her heavy package of nose mounted 50 cals, she is more than capable of going low for some treetop level Ploesti raid style bombing!   Her hefty health pool and armor ensures that she has high endurance down there, and her long range high dps tailguns will pile on the damage into the furball just above you as you obliterate ground objects with pinpoint accuracy!  :playing:

 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


AncientRaig #8 Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 109 battles
  • 14
  • [KRTFL] KRTFL
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 20 October 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

 

Good stuff!  I'm currently working on unlocking the A-26B Invader for free; she was one of my favorites to fly during the 2.0 test, though.   Don't be afraid to mix it up with her!  With her heavy package of nose mounted 50 cals, she is more than capable of going low for some treetop level Ploesti raid style bombing!   Her hefty health pool and armor ensures that she has high endurance down there, and her long range high dps tailguns will pile on the damage into the furball just above you as you obliterate ground objects with pinpoint accuracy!  :playing:

 

Oh, without a doubt. But there's still something appealing about dropping bombs from super high up and annihilating anyone who dares approach you. It's also a much better environment to farm salt from single engine fighter players who are too used to being able to do the job of a heavy fighter.

Einssniper #9 Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 622 battles
  • 287
  • [-WS-] -WS-
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015
A good fighter pilot would not have much trouble bombing

Zigfreid #10 Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:46 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1163 battles
  • 1,305
  • [-WS-] -WS-
  • Member since:
    07-31-2013

:great: Great plane fun to fly!

 



MagusGerhardt #11 Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I missed one very important fact about the Blenheim.

 

 

 

THE TURRET HAS A 360 DEGREE FIELD OF FIRE. 

 

:playing::playing::playing:YES, IT CAN FIRE STRAIGHT AHEAD, TOO.:playing::playing::playing:


 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


pyantoryng #12 Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

    Major

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles
  • 6,739
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 21 October 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

I missed one very important fact about the Blenheim.

 

 

 

THE TURRET HAS A 360 DEGREE FIELD OF FIRE. 

 

:playing::playing::playing:YES, IT CAN FIRE STRAIGHT AHEAD, TOO.:playing::playing::playing:

 

...so just use it to shoot at anything that it can...it won't overheat, ever.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Perrigrino #13 Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 352 battles
  • 43
  • [GWG] GWG
  • Member since:
    10-02-2013

Nice video Magus, helped to clarify a few things for me. One thing I did/do is line up both reticles, the control and the aim. Not sure what it does to plane, ie., nose dive?, but I initially thought it helped my aim. Not sure anymore. No instructions, until now. Perhaps in doing so, slows the plane for better accuracy? Not sure how to see what plane is doing, when I line up both circles?

 

And zoom (middle mouse button/wheel for me) works for the aim so one can isolate the target even more. Didn'tr know about the 360, that's very helpful, thanks pyangtoryng.



RandomPauI #14 Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 548 battles
  • 11
  • [PANSY] PANSY
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Thanks for the guide.

MagusGerhardt #15 Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostPerrigrino, on 31 October 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

Nice video Magus, helped to clarify a few things for me. One thing I did/do is line up both reticles, the control and the aim. Not sure what it does to plane, ie., nose dive?, but I initially thought it helped my aim. Not sure anymore. No instructions, until now. Perhaps in doing so, slows the plane for better accuracy? Not sure how to see what plane is doing, when I line up both circles?

 

And zoom (middle mouse button/wheel for me) works for the aim so one can isolate the target even more. Didn'tr know about the 360, that's very helpful, thanks pyangtoryng.

 

I don't know if lining the two up improves accuracy or not; I haven't tested that aspect of it out as I'm usually trying to hit four separate targets on each bombing run I make.

 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


MagusGerhardt #16 Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostRandomPauI, on 31 October 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

Thanks for the guide.

 

You're welcome!  I'm getting one intro guide up as a general group of rules for playing each line and then I'll be doing in-depth looks at specific aircraft and will do requests at that time.

 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


RandomPauI #17 Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Alpha tester
  • 548 battles
  • 11
  • [PANSY] PANSY
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I got this last night. I'm following the advice and destroying targets and I'm consistently the first or second top player in the round but we still lose. Is it a matter of playing at night against one or two human players who can dominate our team's bots?

 

As for the two target reticles, I'd imagine that the large one is solely meant to change the direction of the plane. I still wind up using the W and S keys to speed up or slow down in bomb sight mode.



MagusGerhardt #18 Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

    Horten Test Pilot

  • -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • 5,267
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
It is very difficult for a single player to affect the outcome of the game, especially in a bomber.  Just do your best, always be dropping bombs and avoiding distraction.  Take solace in the fact that win or lose the Blenny bomber will rake in tons of credits and experience for being only tier III.

 

 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787


comtedumas #19 Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1122 battles
  • 202
  • [NIN-] NIN-
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

I want the full bomb load out.  

  • Bombs:
  • 1200 lb (540 kg)
    • 4 × 250 lb (113 kg) bombs or
    • 2 × 500 lb (227 kg) bombs internally and 8× 40 lb (18 kg) bombs externally
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Blenheim

 

 

Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hoom #20 Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 693 battles
  • 180
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Got it just before the patch, just in time to play a couple of battles.

Its more fun than I'd expected :) likely to get pretty repetitive as I play more though.

 

Bombs reload waaaaaay faster than Heavy Fighter bombs, you make a pass across a cap, extend a few secs & turn then they're reloaded already.

Makes me much more concerned about getting rid of them than I had been but the planes I've got in that tier aren't really up to going after these.

 

Got a kill on an enemy Blenheim :playing:

360 turret would explain how that was counted as a tailgun kill which had surprised me at the time since I was behind it.

 

 

Definitely important to be flying straight when dropping, was able to spot where several bombs landed when I released them while turning & they were a long way off compared to ones dropped while flying straight.

 

One battle was all bots except me & one guy in other team, nobody at all tried to come up to me so had free reign :)

But incredibly frustrating trying to actually cap since the bots were incapable of finishing off last buildings that hadn't been killed by bombs (should be less of an issue now I accelerated to 2 skill points & put on DE) & then the bots died.

Took so long ground targets kept re-spawning, had to re-kill so it took at least 3/4 of the battle to eventually get the cap, I think 24k total ground target dmg :amazed:

 

The black reticle is just your steering indicator, plane turns to follow it like in normal mode.


Edited by hoom, 03 November 2017 - 11:09 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users