Tactics of the J8M Shusui

Pro Tips

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Brister271 #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

Airman Basic

• 123 battles

I feel like I'm not using the J8M correctly. I can hit ground targets but my shots don't do much damage. I can do good damage against other aircraft but i can barely hit them. My guns also over heat quickly. I use universal ammo and always keep above 652 km/h. I want to learn tactics for this plane because I can never do anything and other aircraft usually shoot me down after a long period of doing almost nothing.

Does anybody know any good tactics for this plane?

Bubba_Zanetti #2 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBrister271, on 18 October 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

Does anybody know any good tactics for this plane?

Yes.   Boom n Zoom.  Not sure this works as well in 2.0 as it did in 1.9x and earlier.  Killing GT with it...ya...no.  It should work great as a bomber hunter/high altitude foe...it's historical purpose.  Will also teach patience when it comes to targeting and firing the weapons since they do overheat quick.  You want to wait until you're close to the target and fire off one or two shots before accelerating away to come back and repeat.

StoptheViolins #3 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 621 battles
B-n-Z like the Me110 but at higher altitudes.  The game play is a lot faster, higher, and requires further thought out to do well.

Pogo68 #4 Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Climb and fight at high altitudes, DO NOT TURN FIGHT.

Your a fast glider with a rocket booster, and if they make any effort at realism, the delta wing ensures that you'll bleed speed like crazy in a turn.

Good news is that you have more fuel than the real airplane did.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

pyantoryng #5 Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostPogo68, on 19 October 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Climb and fight at high altitudes, DO NOT TURN FIGHT.

Your a fast glider with a rocket booster, and if they make any effort at realism, the delta wing ensures that you'll bleed speed like crazy in a turn.

Good news is that you have more fuel than the real airplane did.

Not to mention you can turn on or off that rocket motor at will, and it won't explode behind your cockpit too.

...with the game focused on dogfights these days, it'll be tough for J8M to do its work, because J8M is totally not a dogfighter as it relies entirely on managing its rocket booster for energy and speed, and hunting bomber is difficult due to its frailty...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

allenr #6 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 150 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
use the aiming bonuses for the pilot, get weapons cooling, aiming sight, and the boost cooler or enhancer/ which ever it is

Pogo68 #7 Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postallenr, on 19 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

use the aiming bonuses for the pilot, get weapons cooling, aiming sight, and the boost cooler or enhancer/ which ever it is

radiator?
DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Einssniper #8 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 622 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

As I said this patch made some planes too weak, hard for J8M to hit a maneuvering target with 30mm, and it does not turn very well.

Furthermore, bots will no longer head up and stall, so it does not help to stay high and farm as you do not contribute to the team

allenr #9 Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 150 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I use it to shoot down the bombers, you can contribute high up, but don't dogfight with it

Brister271 #10 Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Airman Basic

• 123 battles
Ok guys, thanks for the advice, its made it so much easier to win and also so much more fun, thanks!

Pogo68 #11 Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 302 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Follow up

The boost of this plane is pretty low, but because it recovers it quickly, you can get a lot of boost time as long as you don't overheat it.

So boost for 4 sec, glide for a few seconds, boost again.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP

DirtySquirrell #12 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Airman Basic

• 1070 battles
  • [WARP] WARP
It's definitely a support piece. You probably won't get shot down, but it is extremely challenging to get any more than high deflection gun solutions. Stay with high CAP and steal some kills/ focus fire... support. The guns are good for finishing. Ground targets?... No, no, no. 

DirtySquirrell #13 Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Airman Basic

• 1070 battles
  • [WARP] WARP
It's definitely a support piece. You probably won't get shot down, but it is extremely challenging to get any more than high deflection gun solutions. Stay with high CAP and steal some kills/ focus fire... support. The guns are good for finishing. Ground targets?... No, no, no. 

Johnny_Wishbone #14 Posted Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 86 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 19 October 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

J8M is totally not a dogfighter as it relies entirely on managing its rocket booster for energy and speed, and hunting bomber is difficult due to its frailty...

This is inarguably true, but you also can't forget that it's an outrageously maneuverable plane compared to anything that's even remotely as fast.

vonluckner #15 Posted Yesterday, 05:28 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 398 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

I've had success using the radiator mod.

Boost and intercept to full speed, slam the brakes and hit your target until your guns overheat, and then boost away. Rinse repeat.

It's poorly suited to attacking ground targets and extended dog fights.

HazeGrayUnderway #16 Posted Yesterday, 07:50 AM

Master Sergeant

• 742 battles

When I started the game, the J8M looked intriguing and alarming at the same time.

The altitude rating is insanely high for a Tier VIII.

It's a rocket boosted plane but the raw speed isn't all that.

It packs 30mm cannons but only 2 of them.

Respectably fast but handles like sh*t.

Wholly reliant on Engine Boost which isn't any longer than typical fighter engine boosts.

However, I got it not long ago after having experience with the tech tree Me 262 as well as seeing some players manage the J8M ingame.  I was impressed with what they were doing for such a "lightly" armed plane.

Levering experience from the 262 the J8M has been a pleasure to fly.  Like the 262 you need to be judicious in how you spend your speed, altitude, energy, engine boost duration.  Get caught at the wrong time trying to do a turn and your Engine Boost charge is low, you are screwed.  The 262 can take some punishment but the J8M can't, so management of these values are critical.  Was a fun plane to fly and liberating having the Engine Boost to ditch people behind you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users