A New Beginning

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

Mugsy_ #1 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Hello Pilots,

Many of you have been with World of Warplanes since release or even before. You might remember WG folks like Hathore, Yoott, TzarIvan, and I from back in the day. Years later, I am very glad to be here discussing changes to the game rather than a closure announcement. This update is a testament to Wargaming’s commitment to our games and to you our players.

This recent update introduced many sweeping changes to the game with the goal of improving the gaming experience of the average person. We understand that some of these changes might be unpopular with players who have grown accustomed to World of Warplanes as it has been over the last few years but in an effort to increase the number of people enjoying World of Warplanes we are committed to this new direction. I understand how this might make you feel, but staying the course was no longer an option.

That being said, good things are coming. In the coming months, we will be implementing a variety of features, content and UI improvements including adding manual flaps, introducing a Deathmatch mode, and adding UI features such as an artificial horizon. We also have plans for special events and ranked battles which will be a great time for our competitive Aces. http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/indev/world-warplanes-20-new-beginning/

This update also means an increased commitment from both the development and publishing arms of Wargaming to reinvigorate our game and our community. You will see more staff involvement, more promotions, more partnerships, more content, and more game updates. But most importantly, you should see new pilots to battle against. We genuinely appreciate the devotion and support you have shown to World of Warplanes and also to our community here. Our hope is that you will give the new game a chance and give room for new people who might like the changes.

Thank you,

Mugsy

MagusGerhardt #2 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 844 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Good to hear that the feedback is being received and looked at seriously.  There is a lot that most of us agree on that would make the game as presented much better!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

allenr #3 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2416 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

finally some news, 

this should have been published before the update, 

may have saved 15 pages of hate mail

SHOCKOJAMBO #4 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I'd like to know why you can't see how many people online. I bet less than 100 people on at a time. 2.0 = DEAD GAME.

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 844 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

I'd like to know why you can't see how many people online. I bet less than 100 people on at a time. 2.0 = DEAD GAME.

I highly doubt that, Shocko.   Been seeing more human in tier I-VIII battles than any time prior to the release of AI opponents.  I've seen battles at heavily populated tiers (V-VI) that are more than half human players on each side.

The removal of the population counter was unfounded self-shielding.  The numbers online now are greater than they were in 1.9, I'd be willing to bet we've already beaten our top population online concurrently during the Thor's Hammer event.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

javier_martinez #6 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11019 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

Content moderated by CC_Sly

Edited by CC_Sly, 19 October 2017 - 07:35 PM.
Language

GiN_nTonic #7 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Captain

• 231 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Though I wasn't a big fan of 2.0 initially I can tell you its clear to me after seeing reviews this seems to be a big hit with new players and generating positive reactions.  The old WoWP couldn't continue with the 500-ish population and so long as WG is going to improve the game then I'm up for anything in the right direction.

Mugsy_ #8 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

​Hello,

I can confirm that 2.0 is doing well, we've seen exponentially more people online and we're working hard to continue the positive trends.

oldiowaguy #9 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
Holy cow its Mugsy! Long time no see!:honoring:

Mugsy_ #10 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View Postoldiowaguy, on 17 October 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Holy cow its Mugsy! Long time no see!:honoring:

Hello! I am still here! Almost 6 years now. I have played a lot of roles here at WG across many games but I am currently the Head of Community. 

hawkeyededic #11 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMugsy_, on 17 October 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Hello! I am still here! Almost 6 years now. I have played a lot of roles here at WG across many games but I am currently the Head of Community. 

Now we just need Hathore back, even if she is just dropping in to say "Hi"

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

hawkeyededic #12 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 October 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I highly doubt that, Shocko.   Been seeing more human in tier I-VIII battles than any time prior to the release of AI opponents.  I've seen battles at heavily populated tiers (V-VI) that are more than half human players on each side.

The removal of the population counter was unfounded self-shielding.  The numbers online now are greater than they were in 1.9, I'd be willing to bet we've already beaten our top population online concurrently during the Thor's Hammer event.

Only battle I was able to squeeze in yesterday was 8-v-8 humans plus bots at Tier 6.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

SHOCKOJAMBO #13 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostMugsy_, on 17 October 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

​Hello,

I can confirm that 2.0 is doing well, we've seen exponentially more people online and we're working hard to continue the positive trends.

Content moderated by Jinlord_Gaming

Edited by Jinlord_Gaming, 17 October 2017 - 08:03 PM.

MagusGerhardt #14 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 844 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Just because you're leaving doesn't mean it's a dead game, Shocko.  Hate to bust your bubble with a tough truth; the game that was dead was what you're demanding them to bring back.

Edited by Jinlord_Gaming, 17 October 2017 - 08:03 PM.

WhineMaker #15 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

The seal clubber tears are REAL!!!  :facepalm:

Edited by Jinlord_Gaming, 17 October 2017 - 08:04 PM.

View Postlosttwo, on 12 April 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

IF OTHERS WOULD FLY THE WAY I TELL THEM TOO.

If ONLY THEY WOULD DO AS I SAY.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #16 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

Captain

• 1218 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

First of all... good to see you again Mugsy and thank you for your time, info and intel it is most appreciated by myself and I'm sure many others, so...
I'm hoping all works out and everything makes everyone joyously happy... hehe, ya
I'll just ask and say, this guy brings up a glaring question can it be answered:

View Postallenr, on 17 October 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

finally some news, 

this should have been published before the update, 

may have saved 15 pages of hate mail

these are thing we would have liked to know, did you want to anger your veteran base and rile them to the point of quitting... like flushing a toilet?
as for not being able to instill a mode for "deathmatch"... a simple poll would have told you that would have been an important aspect for your current players... was there no reward for our loyality... again, did you want to flush us away?
much to what we have all said... why did you keep it a secret
Dr Strangelove - doomsday machine

04:11

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the goal here... a psychological test,  was it a kind of loyalty exercise ... was there a hidden camera somewhere...
I think of Disturbed
Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes

communication can eliminate confusion...

why did you keep it a secret

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Mugsy_ #17 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostSHOCKOJAMBO, on 17 October 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

While I understand you are frustrated, let's do our best to address each other with respect. I am being 100% honest when I say that we are seeing more players online after this update than before. You can accept this or not but we don't have to be abrasive to one another.

Edited by Jinlord_Gaming, 17 October 2017 - 08:04 PM.

oldiowaguy #18 Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

View Posthawkeyededic, on 17 October 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Now we just need Hathore back, even if she is just dropping in to say "Hi"

Or looking for Skittles!

Mugsy_ #19 Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 17 October 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

First of all... good to see you again Mugsy and thank you for your time, info and intel it is most appreciated by myself and I'm sure many others, so...
I'm hoping all works out and everything makes everyone joyously happy... hehe, ya
I'll just ask and say, this guy brings up a glaring question can it be answered:

these are thing we would have liked to know, did you want to anger your veteran base and rile them to the point of quitting... like flushing a toilet?
as for not being able to instill a mode for "deathmatch"... a simple poll would have told you that would have been an important aspect for your current players... was there no reward for our loyality... again, did you want to flush us away?
much to what we have all said... why did you keep it a secret

The goal was simple, we needed to change the game to something more accessible to the average person, these changes had to be made in order to try to extend the life of this game.

These changes were not something we arrived at lightly, and we anticipated the changes would be difficult for people who have enjoyed the game as it has been for years. 

As a result of the the loyalty our seasoned players have shown we are continuing to dedicate publishing and development resources and working very hard to give this game a second wind.

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5675 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostMugsy_, on 17 October 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

This recent update introduced many sweeping changes to the game with the goal of improving the gaming experience of the average person. We understand that some of these changes might be unpopular with players who have grown accustomed to World of Warplanes as it has been over the last few years but in an effort to increase the number of people enjoying World of Warplanes we are committed to this new direction. I understand how this might make you feel, but staying the course was no longer an option.

Thank you,

Mugsy

Please do not simply dismiss constructive feedback from veterans as just something we are accustomed to. We have played the old, the new as well as your competitors.  The baby did not need to be thrown out with the bath water.  What should have happened was take what was good from 1.9.x and carry it forward to 2.0 to introduce the new conquest mode and all the upgrades that came with it.  I think it is great that you are listening to players, this is a much welcome change from the past.  All the features you mentioned that will be added back into the game are a start, hopefully you will continue to hear what we have to say.

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 October 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

I was wondering why they removed the counter... This is my only theory.  1.9.x we had roughly 450 players online at peak hours.  So, if 2.0 came out and we have 900 players online, the veterans would look at it and say, wow we have doubled the population, we have a better population than before.  However a new player coming in might say... only 900 players online?!?!  This game is still dead and not worth my time.  Just a theory.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users