Two....Point....Oh

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #761 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

The airbase solo attempt was foolish, and you realized it immediately.  You actually predicted it, so you had some idea that maybe you could beat the odds.

At T6, the ADA and AA are really quite impressive.  Add a human player, and your goose, as they say, is cooked.

trikke #762 Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2549 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

lol... let's coordinate times, and flight up together and go bore some holes right through the other team in our DBs!

i have some cool nose-zart on mine, which adds an additional 1k CP to your score in each battle... i was told that by mutual friends of ours, and why should i doubt them?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Quesnel #763 Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Posttrikke, on 15 May 2018 - 02:17 AM, said:

lol... let's coordinate times, and flight up together and go bore some holes right through the other team in our DBs!

Now that sounds like a plan!

In the meantime and despite my level of custom skin skills, a work in progress for a historically based scheme that currently isn't in the game.

Quesnel #764 Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

One Japanese plane I had early troubles with was the tier V premium Mitsubishi A6M3 (exp).

The major issue for me was the effective use and timing of those big 30mm cannons. Not only was I willing to give it another honest go, but I have also decided to try something I don't normally equip my planes....consumables.

All is explained in the following....

LMG #765 Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

I just added a video to my GAA guide. I thought it would make a good addition so people can actually see what it's like to be inside the cockpit of a GAA. The video that's up is the "general gameplay" one, I have a second one with some defensive dogfighting and a last one of a "worst case scenario" game. You'll get to see why I dread a bot Do 17 z so much :ohmy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Quesnel #766 Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLMG, on 17 May 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

I just added a video to my GAA guide. I thought it would make a good addition so people can actually see what it's like to be inside the cockpit of a GAA. The video that's up is the "general gameplay" one, I have a second one with some defensive dogfighting and a last one of a "worst case scenario" game. You'll get to see why I dread a bot Do 17 z so much :ohmy:

I just watched those now, very good stuff (as in like showing me what I have been doing wrong on many occasions).

CorvusCorvax #767 Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 17 May 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

Can you link it?  Thanks!

Quesnel #768 Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 17 May 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Scroll down to the spoilers and click.

In reality, the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force didn't foresee a use for the problem ridden, two-seat Nakajima Ki-8 and after completing just five prototypes, the project was cancelled in 1934.

In World of Warplanes, it lives on as a tier II premium fighter and currently the only Japanese plane with a rear gunner in the game....

LMG #769 Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 17 May 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Here you go: https://www.youtube....lgdio05w03c010c

In other news, I'm nearly half-way to the P-47B. I've been pondering how will I survive against planes I can't outturn or outrun outside of a dive, and then I watched Akirishin's Fw 190-A8/R2 video. So I tried what I call the Akirishin Maneuver yesterday on my XP-44, almost to great effect. Here's the video on it:

Spoiler

Edited by LMG, 17 May 2018 - 09:00 PM.

trikke #770 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2549 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 17 May 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

what I call the Akirishin Maneuver yesterday on my XP-44

sounds OG StarTrek-ish, somehow

i've never flown anything in the Jug line, but you make it look easy fun!

Quesnel #771 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLMG, on 17 May 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

Here you go: https://www.youtube....lgdio05w03c010c

In other news, I'm nearly half-way to the P-47B. I've been pondering how will I survive against planes I can't outturn or outrun outside of a dive, and then I watched Akirishin's Fw 190-A8/R2 video. So I tried what I call the Akirishin Maneuver yesterday on my XP-44, almost to great effect. Here's the video on it:

Spoiler

Okay, that was impressive, fantastic battle LMG :great:

View Posttrikke, on 18 May 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

sounds OG StarTrek-ish, somehow

i've never flown anything in the Jug line, but you make it look easy fun!

I was thinking both things too :teethhappy:

This is the idea I have considered doing for some time.

Load up World of Warplanes, select a progression aircraft from my current "Nation of Mood" and play til I win, up to and no more than three consecutive battles. Now, this isn't a new concept, some streamers on other media formats do this type of thing (with their own conditions) on a regular basis, but I haven't started it myself.

One of the reasons for doing it is to see in myself what psychological changes take place if the first or even second battle end in defeat. Does frustration and/or disappointment dull the nerves and senses? Does the weight of not winning one battle carry over into the next? Using myself as a test subject, I am curious to see the answers to those questions.

On the flip-side, the main reason for not starting this experiment is the length of time a person would have to sit and watch my serial performances, up to 45 minutes of me talking, flying and shooting up the sky. I am sure there are folks out there that have better things to do with their time (I do appreciate those who have tuned in thus far and have continued to stick around).

Nevertheless, I put the question to you, should I do this or not? Would you be willing to spend nearly and hour watching my adventures in World of Warplanes with a tech tree plane, no matter the outcome? Is there another way I could have asked a similar question?

While you consider that, here is the first video on that concept, demonstrating a more positive psychological change at the end....

CorvusCorvax #772 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I like watching your flights, but I doubt I would watch an hour of them.  Some of what you do I fast-forward through anyway - paint, wait time in-queue, wait time to join battle...

I like to hear about your pilot, armament, engine and equipment choices.  I like to know why you pick them, and watch how you use those things while you're flying.

Flying three or more battles might be the way to get a map/set-up favorable to your plane.  Large maps are more favorable to fast planes, or planes with a lot of boost.  Small maps favor slower planes, or planes that don't have as long legs.  You might select the F7F to fly, and get the old El Halluf map (the one you played in this video).  That plane is not well-suited to such a small map.  Or you might choose a GAA, and it's a mountain map that's big.  There is a lot of uninteresting video of you flying inbetween caps.  I don't think one or three or even five battles is enough to establish a trend if you get set up on the wrong map with the wrong plane with flighted opponents.  

Claudio67 #773 Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 423 battles

Not sure if I'm sitting to watch 45 minutes videos... but mostly I don't think so. About playing one particular plane, sometimes I go complete stubborn, like some days ago, trying to get that x5 on the Yak-19; after four or five defeats (some of them really miserable, spending more time waiting for the respawn than anything else, to get shot down again in seconds by the same bot) and then got this game.:medal:

If you like the Ki-61, just wait to have the Ki-84, and the tier VIII Ki-94 II is fantastic. Still struggling with the Ki-162 (Japanese, really?) on that line...

LMG #774 Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

When I want to watch long videos I usually prefer to watch it bit by bit instead of everything in one go. To me they're kinda like several videos in one. I'm doing that with a StarCraft Brood War tournament, where each round was a full-length livestream of up to 2.5 hours each :amazed:

LMG #775 Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

Alright, finally got to the P-47B, and my first impressions are: "WTH!? Why do the bombs take so long to reload now?"

One of the biggest selling points of the XP-44 was that 60 second reload on the bombs, which allowed it to properly do emergency ground pounding. I was at least hoping that the P-47B could maintain that quick reload, while adding the rockets to properly improve on it's anti-ground potential. Turns out I was wrong, and the P-47B now reloads those bombs after 110 seconds :amazed:. Those rockets better be very good to warrant such a radical change in reload time :(. That aside, the slightly slower turning doesn't seem to bother me all that much yet, and I have to recheck who I can escape how, as I got unlucky enough to try and dive away from a Mustang 1a, who was able to keep up with me on a dive but would have fallen behind on a horizontal boost. Oh right, I almost forgot! 20 seconds of boost:kamikaze:

Overall, the only thing that irks me is that bomb reload time, but the plane itself seems ok atm. Still need to get all the upgrades. I did record one last battle on my XP-44 before I advanced, I think I'll put that one up tomorrow :bajan:

In the meantime, here's the best skin in the game:

Spoiler

Edited by LMG, 20 May 2018 - 12:36 AM.

Reitousair #776 Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:33 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7422 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Well, later on the Tbirds get a 90 second bomb reload time, it's pretty nice, and once you hit the F-84B you effectively become an energy fighter with an absolute ton of payload. I still recall a duel between my F-84B and an enemy F-84F that lasted for 5 minutes, it was quite intense but in the end I managed to get him to stall out and killed him, I won the match as well but that didn't really matter, it was the fight that was the focus of it. Just know with the Tbirds that you have an incredible roll rate and a ton of boost, it's entirely possible you can abuse your energy retention and boost along with the roll rate to win dogfights that shouldn't be possible (like winning a duel against a P-51A for example.)

Also yup IL-40 dragon paint scheme, best one in the game, though I use different nose art since I didn't care too much to complete the set.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

LMG #777 Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

View PostReitousair, on 19 May 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

Well, later on the Tbirds get a 90 second bomb reload time, it's pretty nice, and once you hit the F-84B you effectively become an energy fighter with an absolute ton of payload. I still recall a duel between my F-84B and an enemy F-84F that lasted for 5 minutes, it was quite intense but in the end I managed to get him to stall out and killed him, I won the match as well but that didn't really matter, it was the fight that was the focus of it. Just know with the Tbirds that you have an incredible roll rate and a ton of boost, it's entirely possible you can abuse your energy retention and boost along with the roll rate to win dogfights that shouldn't be possible (like winning a duel against a P-51A for example.)

Also yup IL-40 dragon paint scheme, best one in the game, though I use different nose art since I didn't care too much to complete the set.

I did almost beat a P-40 on my XP-44, though I had to break off when an F4F I killed earlier showed up, forcing me to bail out and letting him catch me (did try for a bombkill too). That was the video I linked earlier. Right now my goal was the P-47B, as I'm not too much of a fan of the fighter gameplay, as much ordnance as they get. I find that the most fun I get on the Republic fighters is when I get a clear shot at blowing stuff up on the ground between the dogfighting

trikke #778 Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2549 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

personally, i'm not a fan of long videos...  when i'm flying, the battles are always over in what seems to be just a couple of minutes, some kind of mental time compression, i guess

but watching a video of the same battle?   hours long, comparatively 

wow, i loved watching what's next for me in the ki line!    kind of a fast 109/mustang-ish-like ride in comparison to the hayabusa ll that i'm stuck in now...  what a welcome change 

but i'm assuming that it's stuffed full of tinder-dry hay, like every japanese plane before it?

Reitousair #779 Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7422 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

So... since other people are posting videos in here I guess I'll leave this one here as well.

The Video:

Playing with no autoroll and very minimal autolevel was interesting to say the least, I've adjusted the settings a bit since then but this was my first trial run I did in a training room, using my favorite plane of course since I'm most familiar with it specifically. 

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

LMG #780 Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2367 battles

Well, now I hate the P-47B. It can't seem to do anything right aside of luring every damn bot in the map to shoot it. The rockets do not feel good for ground pounding, the mgs never hit now, I can't deal with heavies since it turns so bad and can't accelerate fast enough to catch up, even japanese aircraft can keep up with me on a dive! :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users