• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

Quesnel #741 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostReitousair, on 10 May 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Just saying, you spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time defending and shooting at planes with the single-best gun for GA purposes. You're supposed to be playing ground-attack not air-defense.

Yeah, I accept the responsibilities of my actions for that, the one time I use a plane wrong and paid for it.

It's entirely possible to win if you went around capping rather than sticking around at the plant holding it.

The thought occurred to me a few times during the battle, but I never acted on it out of fear of losing the Mining Plant to too-efficient enemy GA's.

To be honest you lucked out pretty hard on just getting a draw there, just one tick faster on the enemy team flipping a cap and it would've been over.

Finally, somebody spots the luck factor in one of my battles!

CorvusCorvax #742 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I have a question over markings.  I see on the fuselage and empennage that you have the arabic numeral "1".  I have seen that marking on other aircraft before, but it's not on all aircraft, so that implies some actual meaning.  Does anyone know?

Anyway, Reitousair is probably correct - after taking the plant, go find another cap to take, and don't worry about the stream of GAA.  As long as there is only one cap point owned by blue, the GAA and bombers will go there.  You and your human mate should probably have been working the garrisons.  Your defense saved the draw, but if you had gone attacking, maybe a win could have happened?  Or a red superiority, LOL.

Quesnel #743 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 May 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

OK, I literally laughed out loud when you made your deflection comment.  :)

I could help myself, I just had to put that in there.

I was a bit surprised you chose the 50mm over the quartet of 30mm.  But, that cannon does hit like a ton of bricks.  Two-shot kill on GAAs, *if* you can land shells on-target.  But, damn, that gun is really for striking ground targets, not for anti-air work.  If you had gotten just a touch more support out of your human team mate, you might have pulled out a win.  That aircraft could really be a pretty stellar Very Heavy Fighter with the 4x30mm mounted.  I would love to see your anti-GAA work with the 30s.  Or a better match-up where you are allowed to move between caps so you can actually use the 50mm on ground targets.

I selected the 50mm with the full intention of just pounding the ground, not how the battle evolved around me and the choices I made because of it. Old habits in the wrong plane/setup I suppose. The enemy team had the flight advantage and a least one name I recognized, so I knew they would have a plan and coordination going for them, but still.... As for anti-GAA, I think the 4X30mm would have been better suited for that task.

I am still smiling over the deflection comment, LOL.

Yeah, my face while saying it, now that I watched myself.

CorvusCorvax #744 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostQuesnel, on 10 May 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

The enemy team had the flight advantage and a least one name I recognized, so I knew they would have a plan and coordination going for them, but still.... 

Yeah, wscarter is a clan mate of mine, and can bring the pixel pain.  SgtSchlautter is a no-kidding Sierra-Hotel WoWP pilot, and you give those guys Spitfires, and usually life is going to suck for your team.  Your able defense of the plant was the only reason for a draw.  Anyone else, and it would have been a walk in the park for the red team.

Quesnel #745 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 May 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

I have a question over markings.  I see on the fuselage and empennage that you have the arabic numeral "1".  I have seen that marking on other aircraft before, but it's not on all aircraft, so that implies some actual meaning.  Does anyone know?

Hmmm....good question.

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 May 2018 - 06:29 PM, said:

Anyway, Reitousair is probably correct - after taking the plant, go find another cap to take, and don't worry about the stream of GAA.  As long as there is only one cap point owned by blue, the GAA and bombers will go there.  You and your human mate should probably have been working the garrisons.  Your defense saved the draw, but if you had gone attacking, maybe a win could have happened?  Or a red superiority, LOL.

That's one problem with an After Action Analysis, it's all educated guesses at best. The whole could have/should have/would have discussions are great food for thought, especially on repeating mistakes in similar circumstances, or replicating a successful strategy and collecting a more positive result.

Ever since I started putting my face and voice into videos, I have tried to explain my actions as they are happening, based on what I perceive around me and the threats within that environment. However, I am a player who has limited awareness, based on the visual tools I have at hand and flying solo. There are some players out there who seem to posses an almost omnipotent understanding of the game and can read a battle like the Matrix code, an uncanny and nearly supernatural ability.

Quesnel #746 Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 May 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Yeah, wscarter is a clan mate of mine, and can bring the pixel pain.  SgtSchlautter is a no-kidding Sierra-Hotel WoWP pilot, and you give those guys Spitfires, and usually life is going to suck for your team.  Your able defense of the plant was the only reason for a draw.  Anyone else, and it would have been a walk in the park for the red team.

Good thing they were never interested in my part of the map, things might have gone very badly for me.

Reitousair #747 Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 14800 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 10 May 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

These are your flight/positional markings. You'll see them at position 1 flight 1 in your hangar across all planes (British have a different system by the way.) I'm not sure how it calculates your position in the team anymore, it might just be random but if you're in the first flight on your team and are in let's say position 7. The bigger number (on most aircraft) will be 7 and the smaller number (again, on most aircraft) will be 1. It's a detail that's been around for a looooooooooooooooong time but very few people notice it.

I think every nation but the British have regular numbers, with position being the bigger number and flight the smaller one. The British have lettering which I haven't fully observed how it works but I think the corresponding letters in the alphabet are your numbers, with A = 1, B = 2, C = 3 and so on.

Edited by Reitousair, 10 May 2018 - 07:11 PM.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

CorvusCorvax #748 Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostReitousair, on 10 May 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

These are your flight/positional markings. You'll see them at position 1 flight 1 in your hangar across all planes (British have a different system by the way.) I'm not sure how it calculates your position in the team anymore, it might just be random but if you're in the first flight on your team and are in let's say position 7. The bigger number (on most aircraft) will be 7 and the smaller number (again, on most aircraft) will be 1. It's a detail that's been around for a looooooooooooooooong time but very few people notice it.

I think every nation but the British have regular numbers, with position being the bigger number and flight the smaller one. The British have lettering which I haven't fully observed how it works but I think the corresponding letters in the alphabet are your numbers, with A = 1, B = 2, C = 3 and so on.

Thank you for the explanation.  I will have to go back to the video to check out the markings before and after the flight.

CorvusCorvax #749 Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostQuesnel, on 10 May 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

There are some players out there who seem to posses an almost omnipotent understanding of the game and can read a battle like the Matrix code, an uncanny and nearly supernatural ability.

Sometimes, the tactical situation can be managed so that you can concentrate on flying and shooting.  Easy.  Sometimes, you have to trust that your skills will get you through a particular engagement, even though you do not control all aspects.  Not as easy.  Then are the folks who see which opponent to kill to flip the cap, and exit the zone to get to the next place to influence the outcome of the entire battle.

God-like.

LMG #750 Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

That map is a bit tricky to the mind. You can't win with just the Mining Facility, but GAAs are the only ones that tend to go there, so leaving it after a capture usually means a guaranteed flip, but at the same time you need to secure the garrisons at the bottom. It's not as bad at tier VIII and on with the faster planes, but on something like and IL-2 (t) or an IL-8 it's hellish. Personally I dislike any maps with one Mining Facility because it forces GAA dogfighting, which is basically rock vs scissors or Aerial Nascar :sceptic:

I actually have that GAA researched, and while the speed and 50 makes me curious, the lacking ordnance really pushes the wrong buttons for me. I prefer good ordnance and handling with slightly sub-par guns (LBSh, maybe american line? :hiding:), as the ordnance is how a GAA gets the job done. Unless you have a soviet female pilot, then you're set for life :bajan:

Edited by LMG, 10 May 2018 - 08:48 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #751 Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:51 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4074 battles

View PostLMG, on 10 May 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

That map is a bit tricky to the mind. You can't win with just the Mining Facility, but GAAs are the only ones that tend to go there, so leaving it after a capture usually means a guaranteed flip, but at the same time you need to secure the garrisons at the bottom. It's not as bad at tier VIII and on with the faster planes, but on something like and IL-2 (t) or an IL-8 it's hellish. Personally I dislike any maps with one Mining Facility because it forces GAA dogfighting, which is basically rock vs scissors or Aerial Nascar :sceptic:

I actually have that GAA researched, and while the speed and 50 makes me curious, the lacking ordnance really pushes the wrong buttons for me. I prefer good ordnance and handling with slightly sub-par guns (LBSh, maybe american line? :hiding:), as the ordnance is how a GAA gets the job done. Unless you have a soviet female pilot, then you're set for life :bajan:

T9 5cm knocks down armored pieces in 6 shots each, not taking into account any fire it may start.

Edited by pyantoryng, 11 May 2018 - 02:51 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #752 Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 10 May 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

T9 5cm knocks down armored pieces in 6 shots each, not taking into account any fire it may start.

6!? Most guns that big only take 5. If it really takes 6 then I don't really want it

pyantoryng #753 Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4074 battles

View PostLMG, on 11 May 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

6!? Most guns that big only take 5. If it really takes 6 then I don't really want it

Tier 9-10 targets. Those are tough stuff.

It doesn't overheat as badly as the IL-20 57mm do and is a whole lot more accurate, too. It makes the MK 103 a waste of EXP if you ask me.

Edited by pyantoryng, 11 May 2018 - 10:08 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

trikke #754 Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

Major

• 6189 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostQuesnel, on 10 May 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Finally, somebody spots the luck factor in one of my battles!

lol!

i'd rather be lucky than good!     good video, brother....

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

Quesnel #755 Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Like many other players from long ago, I had been eagerly anticipating the arrival of Imperial Japanese Army Air Service aircraft to World of Warplanes.

For far too long, all that was available was offerings from the Imperial Japanese Navy line (not that is a bad thing), with a few premiums sprinkled in over the years. Perhaps my patience finally ran out, or my interest had waned enough to not be overly enthusiastic when they finally arrived.

Granted, I managed to pull myself away from other projects and areas of interest to causally dabble with a few aircraft of the Army line, only to stop at the tier VI Kawasaki Ki-61 and then, I wandered off again.

Perhaps, I should see if I can re-spark that cold flame of lost enthusiasm....

Edited by Quesnel, 11 May 2018 - 09:20 PM.

CorvusCorvax #756 Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:13 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I can't see how I would have done anything differently there.  I mean, you flew around, you shot stuff down, you won.

Hard to argue with that!

LMG #757 Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

Alright, so back on track. I'm having some issues with my laptop (speakers seem busted), so I'll have to get that checked at some point this week and hope it can get fixed. That aside, I started trying out the Thunderbolt line, and so far it's a lot better than the first few planes on the Corsair line. Unlike the buffalo, the Lancer actually feels like it has something to do with the four .50s and some nice bombs that recharge pretty quickly. I've been doing a bit more ground pounding that some might feel is necessary, but I don't trust my bots on securing Mining Facilities or Military Bases at tier IV. In fact, on one match I had to ground pound the Mining Facility, then clear an enemy bomber, and ground pound it some more to get the capture.

That said, I'm still getting my fill of air-to-air combat, and not really having the easiest time with it. More specifically, the light Air Defense Aircraft are giving me a hard time whenever they pile up on me, as I can't turn well and they tend to hit my engine just enough to knock it out. As I move up, I'll get some extra protection, Engine Tunning and Polish. Maybe even invest into Demolision's Expert. In other news, I was thinking of getting up a video on some Ground Pounding action to link on my GAA Basics guide. Anyone know of a free, simple video editor I could use? I can record with Shadowplay, just need something to get the video thing up and running.

I also just realized that I'm being offered a few interesting things for playing a match of WoT. I guess I'll have to redownload the game and dust off my Slugger :hiding:

Edited by LMG, 14 May 2018 - 05:42 PM.

CorvusCorvax #758 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Major

• 6018 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostLMG, on 14 May 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Alright, so back on track. I'm having some issues with my laptop (speakers seem busted), so I'll have to get that checked at some point this week and hope it can get fixed. That aside, I started trying out the Thunderbolt line, and so far it's a lot better than the first few planes on the Corsair line. Unlike the buffalo, the Lancer actually feels like it has something to do with the four .50s and some nice bombs that recharge pretty quickly. I've been doing a bit more ground pounding that some might feel is necessary, but I don't trust my bots on securing Mining Facilities or Military Bases at tier IV. In fact, on one match I had to ground pound the Mining Facility, then clear an enemy bomber, and ground pound it some more to get the capture.

That said, I'm still getting my fill of air-to-air combat, and not really having the easiest time with it. More specifically, the light Air Defense Aircraft are giving me a hard time whenever they pile up on me, as I can't turn well and they tend to hit my engine just enough to knock it out. As I move up, I'll get some extra protection, Engine Tunning and Polish. Maybe even invest into Demolision's Expert. In other news, I was thinking of getting up a video on some Ground Pounding action to link on my GAA Basics guide. Anyone know of a free, simple video editor I could use? I can record with Shadowplay, just need something to get the video thing up and running.

I also just realized that I'm being offered a few interesting things for playing a match of WoT. I guess I'll have to redownload the game and dust off my Slugger :hiding:

Brother, I am here to offer my services.  If you want to grind a line, I can help.  I will absolutely cover your tail while you blow stuff up.  HMU via DM, and we'll chat about time/place.

LMG #759 Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 14 May 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

Brother, I am here to offer my services.  If you want to grind a line, I can help.  I will absolutely cover your tail while you blow stuff up.  HMU via DM, and we'll chat about time/place.

Well, I'm not having a bad time (unlike the F4F), but I can hit you up if I stumble upon you :honoring:

Quesnel #760 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLMG, on 14 May 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

Well, I'm not having a bad time (unlike the F4F), but I can hit you up if I stumble upon you :honoring:

I haven't started down the Republic line yet, so I will be following your comments and thoughts with great interest.

View PostQuesnel, on 12 May 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

I hear a lot of praise for the German Spitfire V DB 605 (don't have it myself, but a formidable opponent in the right hands). 

View Posttrikke, on 14 May 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

you've got it now, thanks to my 40% coupon

anyway, it would have just expired while i would have still been debating what to do with it...

edit:  small token of our appreciation for the many years of civilized conversation and videos...  now pop a good pilot in it and record something!

For once, I am at a loss for words, good thing I cover for this in my video....

Thanks trikke!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users