• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

Quesnel #661 Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

View PostReitousair, on 10 April 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

Also, obligatory Italian planes when?

The amount of dust and cobwebs I have acquired waiting on the likes of the Fiat G.55 Centauro, Macchi C.202 Folgore, Reggiane Re.2001 or even the experimental Piaggio P.119 (just to name a few) is nearly immeasurable. 

View PostRico_CotC_, on 11 April 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Nice fight, BTW.

Thanks Rico :great:

For the longest time, this was the whole Chinese tree in World of Warplanes.

While the Breda Ba.27 and Nakajima Ki-43-Ic both came in Update 1.5.0, back in August 2014, it would be some time yet before more aircraft would be added to this....shrub (the Curtiss Tomahawk IIb tier V Fighter was floating around, but in the hands of select players and not available for the general public until a much later date).

Now, in this post-2.0 era, I was curious to see if the Chinese captured tier IV Nakajima Ki-43-Ic was still a capable aircraft, since the game would favor it's Turn and Burn attributes more then previous versions....

Edited by Quesnel, 11 April 2018 - 09:27 PM.

Quesnel #662 Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:33 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

I think it could be the most iconic American aircraft of World War Two and I was introduced to it thanks to a Tongue in Cheek movie.

Steven Spielberg's 1941 could be a hard movie to make today, since it breaks so many social, gender and other taboos of our modern, sensitive society.

Long before I learned about the adventures of the American Volunteer Group, Claire Lee Chennault and the air war over China's skies, my introduction to the Curtiss P-40 was through the late, great actor, John Belushi. Thanks to his over the top comedic portrayal of Captain "Wild Bill" Kelso and his antics in that plane, he "burned" (if you have seen the movie, you will get the reference) the Warhawk into my memory from a more innocent time....

Edited by Quesnel, 13 April 2018 - 10:00 PM.

Rico_CotC_ #663 Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 569 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 13 April 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

Yes., that movie, for me, was almost unwatchable.  But it was funny in places, and it absolutely could not be made now, at least in that form.

You asked how someone else would have done it differently.  My only criticism would be the first decision to try and take the garrison solo.  I know it can be done, because I have done it a couple of times.  But more often, the result is a lot of work and a blown up plane.  Since the AAA is free to concentrate on just one aircraft, it nibbles away your HP and leaves you vulnerable to the ADA.  The ADA often behave in a way that encourages you to fly over the AAA  for a longer time.  They see you come into the zone, then turn away and fly to the other side of the zone, so you fly all the way across to engage.  The ADA also stick together, so sometimes, if you engage the nearest aircraft, the one further away turns onto your six almost immediately.  In the times I've had success solo-capping a garrison at T6+, it has been in a cannon-armed plane.  MG-only aircraft can't hit out at longer distance, so you have to spend too much time on the HFs.  My solo caps have worked out like this:

1.)  Come into zone, then turn out to bait ADA to follow.  Skirt AAA fire, and duck below flak altitude so it's only MG ground fire.  Sometimes, I'll make a cannon pass at MG sites and then fight over that part of the zone.  Did I mention that ground fire can really chew you up?

2.)  Never tail chase ADA.  Once they straighten out, I have to turn to cover my own six.  Turn fight them, yes.  But when they try and run away, let them, and pick up another target.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Tail-chasing straightens your own flight out, making you a more-easily hit target.  Constant movement allows you to avoid a full burst into the tail feathers.

3.)  If you get below 30% health, get out of the zone.  Go and fight between zones, or find a friendly airbase to heal up, just don't get shot down in-zone.  And as a reminder, there is no repair wrench at an airfield (single-engine prop-plane symbol), only at an airbase (double-engined Me-262-looking symbol).

Other than the questionable decision to solo a garrison, I thought the rest of the fight was great.  The plane does indeed turn pretty well, and it has some pretty good guns.  And, dang it, it's a very nice-looking aircraft.

Quesnel #664 Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

View PostRico_CotC_, on 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Yes., that movie, for me, was almost unwatchable.  But it was funny in places, and it absolutely could not be made now, at least in that form.

Although it's not a movie that would appeal to everyone, it makes my short list when I am in a "low brow" comedy mood (Airplane and Super Troopers are other examples).

View PostRico_CotC_, on 16 April 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

Other than the questionable decision to solo a garrison, I thought the rest of the fight was great.  The plane does indeed turn pretty well, and it has some pretty good guns.  And, dang it, it's a very nice-looking aircraft.

I knew it wasn't a very smart move to make right off the bat and solo, but I held out hope that I was going to get help taking it. As for the AVG P-40, I agree.

Rico_CotC_ #665 Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

• 569 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 16 April 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Although it's not a movie that would appeal to everyone, it makes my short list when I am in a "low brow" comedy mood (Airplane and Super Troopers are other examples).

I knew it wasn't a very smart move to make right off the bat and solo, but I held out hope that I was going to get help taking it. As for the AVG P-40, I agree.

Super Trooper and Airplane I could watch over and over and over.  LOL-movies, for sure.

I would be happy to cover your six any time you wanted to record a flight.  No running off and doing my own thing, just covering you so you could do what you want without having to worry about what's happening behind you.  Suppress ground fire ahead of you, chase folks off your tail, whatever.

Quesnel #666 Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

View PostRico_CotC_, on 16 April 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

I would be happy to cover your six any time you wanted to record a flight.  No running off and doing my own thing, just covering you so you could do what you want without having to worry about what's happening behind you.  Suppress ground fire ahead of you, chase folks off your tail, whatever.

I look forward to that happening, if our gaming schedules ever get insync.

If you read the announcement here or saw it on the portal, no doubt some of you already took off down the interest to look the plane up....

McDonnell XF-85 Goblin.

Without going into too much detail, I will briefly touch on what interests me about this aircraft and what doesn't.

First, I like the "Buck Rogers" look to it. The whole squished F-86 appearance of it does remind me of the same tiered Blohm und Voss P.210, but with a Western twist. Secondly, it's a jet, so that piques my interest almost immediately.

One thing I don't like about it, historically armed with only 4X.50 cal machine guns. I could see this plane struggling at the upper tiers, based on my own experience with the FJ-1 Fury, which is armed with 6X.50 cal in total. I am rather curious to how maneuverable it will be in the game, which could be a strong determination of what would be the less penalized playstyle for it.

And of course, since it's a tier IX aircraft, acquiring one isn't going to be an easy task, I suspect.

During Operation Westwall, I saw a lot of comments, from both sides of the fence, on the mission requirements and available time needed to park just one of the aircraft into a player's hangar, let alone both. I can accept this should be a challenge (seriously, it's an earnable tier IX) and for some, this plane will be an out-or-reach goal (real life events, poor timing and other things that can/will prevent a player from obtaining the Goblin). Others will make "jumping the hurdles" look so easy (or make claims to the effect), which could inspire some to preserve through the journey, or just anger and alienate others from the quest.

I don't have any details of what will be needed to get a Goblin, so this last comment of perspective might turn out to be a moot point.

Edited by Quesnel, 17 April 2018 - 08:21 PM.

Rico_CotC_ #667 Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

• 569 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 17 April 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

I look forward to that happening, if our gaming schedules ever get insync.

First, the Goblin:  WG could up the ante and give it 4x20mm to compete in-tier.  Or make it such a good turner that 4x.50cal could be enough to get the job done.

Second, scheduling:  I can be available for you if I know what you're doing and when.  DM me, and we can work out the details.

MARS_REVENANT #668 Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2994 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 17 April 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

And of course, since it's a tier IX aircraft, acquiring one isn't going to be an easy task, I suspect.

I don't have any details of what will be needed to get a Goblin, so this last comment of perspective might turn out to be a mute point.

I'm interested in what the next event will be.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Quesnel #669 Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't played much this past while.

Out in the real world, I have been putting in some very long work-life hours, which just happened to involve some overly physical activities. Needless to say, my energy levels to load up World of Warplanes, let alone belt any number of battles, has been almost non-existent.

However, with news of the first tier IX premium plane (final details have yet to be revealed to me if it is a true premium or something along the lines of the Missouri/Musashi from Ships and likewise Clan Reward vehicles from Tanks), I mustered up enough awake time to record a battle with my tier IX FJ-1 Fury. Little did I know just how tired I looked while filming....

Reitousair #670 Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3821 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostQuesnel, on 18 April 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't played much this past while.

Out in the real world, I have been putting in some very long work-life hours, which just happened to involve some overly physical activities. Needless to say, my energy levels to load up World of Warplanes, let alone belt any number of battles, has been almost non-existent.

However, with news of the first tier IX premium plane (final details have yet to be revealed to me if it is a true premium or something along the lines of the Missouri/Musashi from Ships and likewise Clan Reward vehicles from Tanks), I mustered up enough awake time to record a battle with my tier IX FJ-1 Fury. Little did I know just how tired I looked while filming....

Mmm, well, real life is quite important, just don't overwork yourself too hard yeah? And that goes for both real life and warplanes.

Still, the XF-85 had its stats on the WoWp website released. From what it looks like, it's just an FJ-1 with two less guns and notable improvements to roll rate and climb rate (under boost.) I'm still curious as to how it will be doled out but it'll be setting a fairly important precedent; how extremely high-tier special aircraft will be rewarded to people.

Edited by Reitousair, 18 April 2018 - 06:59 PM.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

Quesnel #671 Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

View PostReitousair, on 18 April 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Mmm, well, real life is quite important, just don't overwork yourself too hard yeah? And that goes for both real life and warplanes.

Best advice I have heard this week, thus far :teethhappy:

View PostReitousair, on 18 April 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Still, the XF-85 had its stats on the WoWp website released. From what it looks like, it's just an FJ-1 with two less guns and notable improvements to roll rate and climb rate (under boost.) I'm still curious as to how it will be doled out but it'll be setting a fairly important precedent; how extremely high-tier special aircraft will be rewarded to people.

I was looking at those same numbers and came to the likewise conclusion, ergo why I wanted to take the FJ-1 out, kinda like a preview of things to come (perhaps just wishful thinking on my part). As for how one could get their hands on a Goblin, I am guessing a mission (Operation Westwall for example), a series of tasks (see Personal Missions from Tanks), or even an XP Grindfest (Missouri/Musashi from Ships). However, I won't dismiss a last minute fourth option I haven't mentioned (in other words, no clue what rabbit will be pulled from the hat).

Edited by Quesnel, 18 April 2018 - 07:42 PM.

Quesnel #672 Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

The Canadair CT-133 Silver Star was a license built variant of the Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star, a two seat jet trainer which started out from the original P-80/F-80. In turn the Lockheed P-94 Starfire would later evolve from the T-33 and appear in World of Warplanes as a tier IX Multirole Fighter for the American tree.

One of the major differences between the Lockheed T-33 and the Canadair CL-30 (internal manufacturer's designation) was the choice of engines, the Shooting Star had Allison J33, the Silver Star used Rolls-Royce Nene 10.

A few years ago I visited British Columbia Aviation Museum, just outside the Victoria International Airport and got the opportunity to see this aircraft with my own eyes. It was hard to get a good shot of this aircraft, due in part to it's location inside the museum, the other planes around it and unfavorable lighting. Despite that, I got one of those once in a lifetime opportunities to do this....

Although you can't really tell from this image, the cockpit was a real tight fit. Up front, all of the controls were in spots that didn't promote comfort. For me, once I sat in the seat, that was it, no real moving around after the straps went on and the canopy was closed.

I had a model of this when I was a whole lot younger, never did finish it though....but the pictures and memories of this experience (especially shared with my son) will more than make up for not completing that long, almost forgotten childhood project.

However, the big kid in me can still pretend to fly it....

Quesnel #673 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 549 battles

So, about the Goblin, I said this....

View PostQuesnel, on 18 April 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

However, I won't dismiss a last minute fourth option I haven't mentioned (in other words, no clue what rabbit will be pulled from the hat).

https://worldofwarplanes.com/news/xf-85-premium-apr-2018/

Okay, flat out selling it? Yeah, that I would have never seen coming!

Reitousair #674 Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3821 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostQuesnel, on 20 April 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

Okay, flat out selling it? Yeah, that I would have never seen coming!

Yeah... I didn't see it first coming out for cash. I think this is the worst option for the first release of it but... well high-tiers could always use a population boost.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users