Quesnel #482 Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Posttrikke, on 03 March 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

great video, brother!

Thanks, care for another?

So, I found enough time this morning to bang out my first battle for this Operation Westwall event.

I was feeling pretty confident about using my tier V Junkers Ju 88A bomber, since I performed rather well with it the last sortie I flew and went on the attack this time around.

However, it turned out that "somebody" had much different plans for me and the outcome as a whole....

Quesnel #483 Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Stealing time like a skilled thief!

First time I gave Operation Westwall a try, it didn't end well for me or my team. This time, I picked what I believed to be a more capable aircraft and got lucky being a Defender....

Quesnel #484 Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Errors, bugs, glitches, whatever you call them, they do pop up from time to time.

I have played World of Warplanes long enough to have encountered just about every kind of negative issue the game has to offer. Unlike some, I don't go racing to the forums, announce the problem (obvious I am here with this post, but for positive awareness reasons, this could happen to you) and proceed to rip the game, players, developers and the whole company down and apart. Anyone who has spent time on the forums has read those type of posts and knows what I am talking about here.

Not my style.

Instead, I do something I doubt few people do, I try and play through it....

Quesnel #485 Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLMG, on 02 March 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

Guys, I've finally made it to the jet age :medal:

View PostQuesnel, on 02 March 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

That's fantastic news LMG! Perhaps, the opportunity to Flight up and fly our 9's might present itself, someday.

That day was today....

I popped into the game, just to see if I could quickly collect Stage 1: Air Superiority rewards, when I received a poke from LMG. Seems he was having a bad gaming day with the event (been there, suffered that too) and asked me to flight up with him, perhaps turning the tide of bad luck that had befallen him. Sticking to my word, the first battle we flew was with our tier IX GA's....

Spoiler

Okay, maybe it was Beginner's Luck? Next, we switched to Fighters....

Spoiler

Let's try Bombers!

Spoiler

LMG #486 Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 04 March 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

Let's try Bombers!

Spoiler

You just had to test your luck, didn't you? :teethhappy:

All in all, it was still pretty fun, I even got a rocket kill on my Tornado :playing:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Quesnel #487 Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Over the weekend, the movie Dunkirk took home three Oscars (Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Film Editing) from the 90th Academy Awards. Congratz to them!

To be perfectly honest, I watched the full movie only once and wasn't really interested in a lot of it, mostly the fiction-based-on-fact human drama taking place on the boats and the beach.

Thanks in part to TV trailers and early reviews, I knew what I wanted to see and that was the aerial action.

With so few operational World War II aircraft left in the world, it was a real treat to see some real, physical warbirds on the Silver Screen (I know there were a few large scale models built to stand in for stunts and other aircraft that just don't exist in flying condition) and not a obvious CGI special effects fest.

So, I was inspired to make a tribute of sorts and flew my tier V premium "Dunkirk" Spitfire to mark the occasion. Little did I know I was going to make some drama and action of my own....

Edited by Quesnel, 05 March 2018 - 06:51 PM.

MagusGerhardt #488 Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Yeah; one of the few movies lauded last evening that really deserved it.  Gary Oldman's acceptance bit was the only thing last night that sounded anything close to what I expect from an Academy Awards presentation.

Your battle is an excellent tribute to the plane and the men who flew them.  GG, Q!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Reitousair #489 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12071 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Mmm, Dunkirk, still have yet to watch it though I've been meaning to for months now. Did not know about the actual usage of some old birds in it however, sounds intriguing.

But the Spitfires, excellent planes, perhaps a bit too much so with the Mk.I and Mk.V but I haven't flown the Spitfire Ia I don't think, while it's a cool collectors item I've found other tier 5 premiums being better for credit-making and just in general fun. For example the XF4U-1 is crazy strong if you can hold the guns on target, and it gets similar speed to the tier 6 F4U-1 making it an extremely fierce plane for its tier. Alternatively the Tomahawk IIb, remembering the Flying Tigers, making tons of money AND it's a challenge to use it successfully against aircraft of its tier and higher, proves a very worthwhile choice if I want some adrenaline going.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Quesnel #490 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostReitousair, on 05 March 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

Mmm, Dunkirk, still have yet to watch it though I've been meaning to for months now. Did not know about the actual usage of some old birds in it however, sounds intriguing.

This video sums up some of the best parts of the movie for me....

CorvusCorvax #491 Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

Captain

• 4570 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostQuesnel, on 05 March 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

So, I was inspired to make a tribute of sorts and flew my tier V premium "Dunkirk" Spitfire to mark the occasion. Little did I know I was going to make some drama and action of my own....

I think that flight was a good demonstration of how to tie up bots.  You tied up three bots when that team needed the hardware to prevent the final cap.  A human heavy player would have made a single pass and zoomed to help his mates, instead of making four or five passes. The MR was likewise confused on how to fight when there is a 3v1 advantage, but the team needs him back at the final cap point, too.  I didn't see if the defense was out of respawns, but shooting those guys down might have actually worked to the defense's favor if they had respawns left and the respawn would have put them back closer to defending the final point  Nice job wearing them down.

Those heavies had the right idea.  Zoom onto you, chop off some of your health, fly away.  You couldn't touch them past 450m separation.  That's how you fly against a light fighter anyway - shoot at them, gain 1200m separation, come back.  Now, with a Spit armed with cannon, you can't do that too many times, or you'll get to feel how quad 20s make life very hard.  A Spit armed with just .303s?  I'd slow down on my egress, switch to turret, and let you eat some more lead while I'm flying away.  Again, harder to do to a Spit armed with cannon.

Your first choice of capture points was great, but your team mates crashed and burned almost on the first pass, leaving you alone with not only the air defense aircraft, but also the other team defenders.  Bad luck on your part, I think.

Quesnel #492 Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostRico_CotC_, on 06 March 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Nice job wearing them down.

Can you take a guess how worn out I was after all of that? Nerves and muscles were just exhausted!

Quesnel #493 Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostReitousair, on 05 March 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

Alternatively the Tomahawk IIb, remembering the Flying Tigers, making tons of money AND it's a challenge to use it successfully against aircraft of its tier and higher, proves a very worthwhile choice if I want some adrenaline going.

I dunno, I found my recent experience in the Tomahawk IIb almost....relaxing....

CorvusCorvax #494 Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

Captain

• 4570 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostQuesnel, on 06 March 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Can you take a guess how worn out I was after all of that? Nerves and muscles were just exhausted!

I know what you mean!  :)

trikke #495 Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Captain

• 4124 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostReitousair, on 05 March 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

btw, congrats on 7th place on the western hemisphere HoF, brother!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Quesnel #496 Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Have a look at this screenshot and take note on some of the more obvious things you might see.

Perhaps you noticed this Spitfire is above it's optimal operational altitude, or it is attacking one of the most fearsome, new planes in the game, the tier VIII premium Myasishchev RB-17 Soviet jet bomber. Maybe it's the healthbars on both aircraft that caught your eye or some other detail worth mentioning. In any case, some players might call this a "foolhardy venture (or another term that better sums up "You'll be sorry" or "What where you thinking?"), while others could make the claim, "Pfft, I do this sort of thing everyday" or similar comments along those same lines.

In the end, I finished off the task that was presented to me, with credit to the help I received to do it.

Granted, it wasn't a player controlled aircraft and that alone could prompt certain remarks from those in the community. However, that doesn't diminish two things, taking one down with a Supermarine Spitfire XIV flown by me and literally living to tell the tale. In fact, I would repeat this twice more before the end of this sortie, for a total of three RB-17 kills/assists to add to my tally wall.

My point? Yes, I do have one.

I viewed the RB-17 as a menacing, almost "untouchable" Boogeyman, since everytime I attacked one before, it didn't end well for me. There were a few times since it was just introduced that I survived it's powerful and very long ranged rear cannon, but that was enough to instill a "leave that one alone" attitude when I saw them on the enemy team. Today, I wanted to make things different and pushed my plane past it's limits in altitude, performance and durability.

Spoiler

Edited by Quesnel, 07 March 2018 - 03:05 PM.

pyantoryng #497 Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2348 battles
If it's not controlled by a player, it's just another toast...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

LMG #498 Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 07 March 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

It's both funny and sad watching a bot Bomber be anything more than target practice and ground target poking :unsure:

The only points they usually get are from killing something with their reargun :amazed:

Edited by LMG, 07 March 2018 - 03:38 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Quesnel #499 Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:18 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postpyantoryng, on 07 March 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

At least that toast has teeth, not like tail-riding those bomber flights sent up by a captured Command Centre.

trikke #500 Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

Captain

• 4124 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostQuesnel, on 07 March 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

you're a better man than i

even a bot RB is dangerous to me...  i only take them on if i have a human or a bot bullet-sponge handy

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users