Two....Point....Oh

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Quesnel #41 Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

When the Heinkel He 100 D-1 came to World of Warplanes, it broke the rules on German mid to high tier aircraft being mostly suited for the Boom and Zoom playstyle. Now, there was a Deutschland plane that was more than capable of turn fighting with same tiered British and Japanese counterparts.

However, the trade off was pretty poor damage output from it's machine guns and weak armor.

Although I couldn't perform it consistently in the pre-2.0 days, the trick with using the He 100 was to get in very, very close and open up the guns, trying to match the targeted aircraft's evasive maneuvers from behind. Versus other fighters, this tactic worked out well, slightly less against Heavy Fighters with rear gunners and Ground Attack aircraft took forever to bring down, if at all.

That was then, this is now....

Much to my surprise, I get this feeling the He 100 has made the transition to this new era relatively unchanged. While the weapons still put out dismal damage, the maneuverability might have been tweaked ever so slightly, unless wishful thinking is overriding my experience from this battle.

The He 100 wasn't designed to be a frontline fighter, by any means, given the tiers of enemy aircraft it potentially faces. However, as a base defender and/or harassment aircraft, I think it fits that role rather well.

What are your thoughts?

hawkeyededic #42 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles
She's not an easy plane to do well in, but very fun when you do do well with it.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

MagusGerhardt #43 Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Agreed; the He.100 D-1 is a perfect tail-clearing aircraft when used in a flight.

If solo, her best use is in the capture and defense of airspace over capture zones; truly a great duelist aircraft against other tier V fighters.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

LMG #44 Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

While attempting to get World of Warplanes to run properly once again (getting constant BSOD crashes) I got into an odd fight vs an ME 265 with my Ju 88 P. He approached me head on, we trated a few shots, then he flew around me while poking at the Mining Facility my team was trying to capture, all the while I was trying to get a shot at him with a few hits. My guess is that he was trying to out-turn me, but he was going too fast for that while I stayed at the border between stalling and flying. He did kill all my friendly GAAs in the area though.

Eventually he started climbing in an attempt to make me stall. Sadly my pilot had a brain fart and pointed the plane upwards instead of turning to the left, stalling me for about a couple of seconds (nothing a little tap of the boost couldn't fix). After that he flew straight away from the Mining Facility, all the while still within my 1300 meter cannon range, and turned around for a head-on fight. I ended up getting one final shot on him, knocking him out of the sky before he got within range. He wasn't very happy, but thankfully we were able to get the Mining Facility after that and promptly proceeded to lose the game.

I learned that the Ju 88 P is quite great with bomber support. I take out the AA, they drop their bombs on the armored targets and I clear out anything left hanging. The Junkers isn't great at solo-capping, but that 50mm gun isn't just for show :playing:

Quesnel #45 Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

Since World of Warplanes Update 2.0 hit the North America servers, I have been waiting for a certain moment.

I think it has finally arrived!

Like many others, I have gone through my hangar, testing previously acquired aircraft out in battles, taking note of any changes and examining those results. However, to sweeten the pot, there are quite a few giveaways going on to collect new planes and take to the skies in those, even ones I never laid my virtual hands on before.

One such example is the Bell P-39N-1 Airacobra, available from Alienware. In the pre-2.0 days, I wouldn't have considered getting this, the XFL-1 nor the Soviet P-39Q-15. The game didn't favor low altitude aircraft best suited for maneuvering combat, since they would be nothing more then circling targets for the high flying, dive, shoot and climb predators.

I should know, I spent a great deal of time in the closing days of 1.9 in planes like the Mustang, the Ki-88 and a few others. Now, things are very different.

Not only has the "Turn and Burn" playstyle finally come into it's own, it has done so with a vengeful awakening.

I first noticed it with the tier V Bell XFL-1. Although I tested this plane out before in previous Common Test servers, I never put one in my hangar. As a giveaway, I couldn't resist the temptation and I have been rewarded very nicely. Then, I took the chance on redeeming the code for the tier VI Bell P-39N-1 Airacobra....

A newspaper clipping from a scrapbook I started as a kid, showing Bell Fighters at the airport of my hometown (long before I was born), part of the Northwest Staging Route, ferrying Lend/Lease aircraft from the Continental United States, through Canada to the Soviet Union.

Needless to say, I have liked the look and lore of this aircraft for a very, very long time, but stayed mostly quiet about it, since they didn't really have much of an impact or place in the game before and no real appeal or incentive to get any of them.

Now, I have two with one more to go.

Edited by Quesnel, 14 November 2017 - 10:31 PM.

Quesnel #46 Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

Time to take a break from premium aircraft and revisit some from the tech tree.

Before 2.0, I didn't advance too far up the Lavochkin line, stopping at the tier VII La-7 for reasons I have long since forgot. I do remember it was a very good climbing, maneuverable aircraft with decent weaponry that overheated almost too quickly, with a fuselage was prone to catching fire a lot (that hasn't changed in post-2.0).

The old rule of thumb, when it came to Soviet fighters, was they were good at low to mid level altitudes and could be equipped with some fearsome and devastating firepower, especially in the mid tiers. At the higher tiers, some of them could climb up to where Mustangs and Messerschmitts prowled and wreaked havoc on them, in the right hands and/or in flights.

But times have changed and I decided to dust off and take the La-7 into new skies, where the battles are fought a little closer to the ground....

I got a little button happy and while holding Left-Alt to bring up additional information, I tapped F4 to mark a target and closed the game down mid-battle. Although the inserted video interruption lasts only a few seconds (for that dramatic effect), in reality it was nearly two full minutes I was absent from the sortie before reconnecting.

Good thing I had a fantastic team that was able to secure the day during my short recess.

MagusGerhardt #47 Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
COBRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAA!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Bubba_Zanetti #48 Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 14 November 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Needless to say, I have liked the look and lore of this aircraft for a very, very long time

Right?  The name, the badass engine behind the pilot like a modern Top Fuel Dragster, a fricken car door to gain entry, and so unique looking compared to others of the era.  Ok, so performance wasn't there, but as a kid, you're like...woah, that's cool looking!  First aircraft I used for inspiration in a contest a couple years ago.

I swear, shortly thereafter they came out with the flame job paint schemes...where's my royalties??!

Quesnel #49 Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 15 November 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

COBRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAA!

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 16 November 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

That is a fantastic picture Bubba!

Bubba_Zanetti #50 Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 399 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 16 November 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

That is a fantastic picture Bubba!

Well, thank you!  Got me an honorable mention...:P

Quesnel #51 Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

With all the time I have been spending in the lower to mid tiers, in an attempt to get used to the changes to World of Warplanes, the upper tiers have been neglected. Perhaps I should address that now....

As much as I love jet powered aircraft, I have this feeling their ability to perform in maneuvering combat at lower altitudes, especially in my hands, might not be the best choice to make. Instead, I decided to break out my top British Fighter, which just happens to be a propeller legend, the Supermarine Spitfire.

In the mid tiers, I was rewarded with satisfying action and results from the Dunkirk Spitfire Ia (no videos or screenshots of that, not every battle I win or lose gets a write-up), but a while ago and slightly higher up on the tiers, I was struggling with the Gloster Meteor (the first battle I fought in this new era was in that old favorite) and came to the conclusion to avoid other jets from my hangar, for the time being.

Needless to say, I wanted to experiment with the Mark XIV variant and confirm/deny my suspicions on my decision....

Not the result I was expecting, not by a long shot. 

Seriously, not every battle fought turns into a victory, no matter how sound the strategy and expertly executed, despite how others might try to convince differently. A choice made will generate three outcomes, the one you want, the one you don't want or something completely unexpected. Just like real life.

I played this battle for the team win and watching the above video proved I put in a lot of effort trying to achieve that goal. Could I have made better/different choices? Perhaps, in hindsight, but at the time, everything I was doing (mostly) seemed to be the correct course of action towards the desired end result. Instead I was rewarded with personal accolades, mission completions and a defeat.

Sigh, patch the holes and rearm, I suppose.

Edited by Quesnel, 17 November 2017 - 07:04 PM.

LMG #52 Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 17 November 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Seriously, not every battle fought turns into a victory, no matter how sound the strategy and expertly executed, despite how others might try to convince differently. A choice made will generate three outcomes, the one you want, the one you don't want or something completely unexpected. Just like real life.

I played this battle for the team win and watching the above video proved I put in a lot of effort trying to achieve that goal. Could I have made better/different choices. Perhaps, in hindsight, but at the time, everything I was doing (mostly) seemed to be the correct course of action towards the desired end result. Instead I was rewarded with personal accolades, mission completions and a defeat.

Sigh, patch the holes and rearm, I suppose.

You should try to play for fun, not for the win. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice for the game to tell you that your efforts were not in vain, but with the nature of 2.0 you can't really win games for your team aside of extreme cases. I mean, just look at my W/L ratio and you'll see I don't really win as often, but I have the time of my life just flying my dear skywhales :child:

pyantoryng #53 Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View PostLMG, on 17 November 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

You should try to play for fun, not for the win. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice for the game to tell you that your efforts were not in vain, but with the nature of 2.0 you can't really win games for your team aside of extreme cases. I mean, just look at my W/L ratio and you'll see I don't really win as often, but I have the time of my life just flying my dear skywhales :child:

I've forgotten what fun is............:unsure:

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #54 Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View PostLMG, on 17 November 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong here, I play for fun, win or lose, always have, always will. I try to give every battle my best effort for the win (aside from those moments when my brain takes an unannounced vacation), but as everyone knows and has experienced (except for those who deny this to themselves), best efforts don't always produce a victory. Despite the outcome, I think that was the best battle in the Supermarine Spitfire XIV I have ever had.

View Postpyantoryng, on 17 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I've forgotten what fun is............:unsure:

trikke #55 Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• 238 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 17 November 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong here, I play for fun, win or lose, always have, always will. I try to give every battle my best effort for the win (aside from those moments when my brain takes an unannounced vacation), but as everyone knows and has experienced (except for those who deny this to themselves), best efforts don't always produce a victory. Despite the outcome, I think that was the best battle in the Supermarine Spitfire XIV I have ever had.

always classy posts, Ques!

thank you for the videos

Quesnel #56 Posted Today, 12:52 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View Posttrikke, on 17 November 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

always classy posts, Ques!

thank you for the videos

Tank you for the kind words, trikke :great:

Back in August of 2017, I wrote this about the tier VIII J7W1 Shinden, sharing my thoughts and comments for a particular battle....

View PostQuesnel, on 11 August 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

It has been quite some time since I last flew the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden and was somewhat surprised to see a rather large amount of banked experience when I took to the skies in it today. I had two choices, go for the mid-grade engine or the next set of weapons, over stock. After a few minutes of seriously considering the options, such as a slightly better damage output potential, at the expense of a greatly reduced firerate, I opted for the engine and hopped it was the better decision.

Up until a certain part of the following battle, things were looking pretty good and I felt assured the new engine had worked out just fine. Then, I touched wings with a teammate and what happened after that was more of a pleasant surprise than I expected....

Fast foreword to November and take note of how things are so very different....

Wow, huh?

Granted, I didn't fly the Shinden in the same manner as before, but I can't be the only one who saw a few things....wrong with the second video. Before, the J7W1 could nearly pivot in a pinpoint, now, it takes the whole acre to complete a turn? Never advertised as a solid climber, the reduced engine power to do so from before is noticeable immediately. Also, it seems the vulnerability factor with the aircraft and pilot has had the threshold adjusted and not for the better either.

Despite the weapons still suffering from rapid overheating, the damage they dealt was nearly on par with 1.9 days, since I was able to land a few seriously critical shots on some targeted aircraft. Having said that, it appears from my perspective, those IL-20's and NC 1070's are a whole lot harder to take down.

I am rather disappointed with the J7W1, expecting it to perform close to the same levels as I flew it in the previous version. However, the game has changed and sadly, the Shinden did too.

LMG #57 Posted Today, 03:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 222 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 20 November 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Despite the weapons still suffering from rapid overheating, the damage they dealt was nearly on par with 1.9 days, since I was able to land a few seriously critical shots on some targeted aircraft. Having said that, it appears from my perspective, those IL-20's and NC 1070's are a whole lot harder to take down.

I think you stay within the firing range of the GAAs' reargunners too long. Try to attack from the sides or above to avoid those tailguns from drawing smiley faces all over your aircraft :playing:. Aside of that, yea you won't take down a GAA quickly unless you set it on fire or hit them with really big guns (and I mean Yak-big)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users