Analysis - Are on-line games becoming less buffed or deadly in game play?

Analysis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Captain

• 11991 battles

I was in a discussion with my brother the other day over the way current on-line games are becoming today. Both of us are noticing trends where game companies are retracting in game equipment modules or crew skills because they are influencing the game play to much, such as aim, ROF, or crew response buffs since on-line the player populations have played the games (>5,000) so much.

In a way the game companies want to prevent seal clubbing and responding as so. The question is does the game culture believe games should be easier, or do they want to handicap veteran gamers on purpose in making the playing field even? Basically taking away skill game play from the players. For example, putting a track star and a couch potato into a race together. We all know the coach potato is going to lose IRL, however in gaming perspective to make things fair and balance, we now give the track star an extra 100 pounds of weight to govern his performance. Fair?

To me this seems a silly step to do for gaming. What should actually happen is to restrict the coach potato to their own league with other coach potato's. And only then when the coach potato firms up should he advance up line in the progression. Such as no player can buy tanks, planes, ships above their current grind MM. In some good game companies they prevent this event from happening so new players are not affecting higher tier team game play.

There needs to be an algorithm for evaluate this process automatically. And what would prevent the seal clubbing at the lower tiers as to [edited]the equipment and crew skill for their tier in performance and not the actual skill set of the player. Because a veteran player will know the angles of the game play. For example, a pilot using tier III premium could only have so many skill sets active, while the same pilot is put into their highest tier grind aircraft would have all their skill sets active earned thus far. Or is this worse? I am just spit balling a thought.

Anyways the point I am bringing up here is stuff is getting nerfed without forethought. This "Farmville" attitude has got to go. We can't give out trophies for participating every match. Someone has got to lose in games. Game death will happen in games no matter how the programmers try to null it. Its natural. accept it and move on, or there will be no game company because of no players. Make the games fun and allow however badass a player wants to make any object deadly in any on-line game. Because to note something as an old arcade gamer, sooner of later you will run out of quarters and your end will happen with any game. Its how we play the game that makes it immortal in our memories. 

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #2 Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles
What you are seeing are these spoiled entitled snowflakes growing up and entering the gaming world. This is the generation that doesn't believe in working for something, improving, honing a skill. Everything was given to them. They were celebrated at every step in their lives. It still pains me to see elaborate graduation ceremonies for preschool. So, the attitude transfers to games. They expect to win right away. When they don't, they quit. So gaming companies have to either cater to this or watch their populations dwindle. I like that WOT has largely resisted this catering, but the attitude of these gamers is evident in how many whine threads there are on the tanks forum about matchmaking. 

clodhoppr #3 Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14572 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
....enter 2.0...:hiding:

DragonMaxx #4 Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6427 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

To make this fair get rid of all crew skills and module upgrades.  Then everyone is using the same crews and equipment.  That way the snowflakes have nothing to whine about but their own lack of skill.  

As Hero stated above: "This is the generation that doesn't believe in working for something, improving, honing a skill. Everything was given to them."  They believe that they should win every battle and if someone shoots them down then they accuse that player of being a cheater. 

Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons...for You are Crunchy & Good with Ketchup!!

Noreaga #5 Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

i think it is being dumbed down, but have you ever gone out and replayed those 70-80's video games. I broke out my NES the other day and those games were frustratingly hard. Mario 1 once you complete 50% it just start getting frustratingly hard, NARC how i ever thought that was fun is beyond me.

i think our perception might be a little skewed because many of us grew up on games that if you completed one you were superhuman. somewhere around 2005 i started being able to finish games consistently and my gaming became finishing the game or the story rather than trying to beat my old level score. 

should gaming be painful? challenging ? how do you scale to just a wide variation in abilities?

also as much as i love to bash younger generations and might trully agree with some in this thread. Dont forget we've been making the same comments about youth since we started keeping written history. 

BBC did a nice piece

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

Edited by Noreaga, 06 October 2017 - 04:03 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

DrSinister #6 Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4871 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDragonMaxx, on 06 October 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

To make this fair get rid of all crew skills and module upgrades.  Then everyone is using the same crews and equipment.  That way the snowflakes have nothing to whine about but their own lack of skill.  

As Hero stated above: "This is the generation that doesn't believe in working for something, improving, honing a skill. Everything was given to them."  They believe that they should win every battle and if someone shoots them down then they accuse that player of being a cheater. 

I say keep gun configurations though.  So that players can still choose if they want to run a light loaded plane or a heavy loaded plane.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #7 Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20848 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostNoreaga, on 06 October 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

i think it is being dumbed down, but have you ever gone out and replayed those 70-80's video games. I broke out my NES the other day and those games were frustratingly hard. Mario 1 once you complete 50% it just start getting frustratingly hard, NARC how i ever thought that was fun is beyond me.

i think our perception might be a little skewed because many of us grew up on games that if you completed one you were superhuman. somewhere around 2005 i started being able to finish games consistently and my gaming became finishing the game or the story rather than trying to beat my old level score. 

should gaming be painful? challenging ? how do you scale to just a wide variation in abilities?

also as much as i love to bash younger generations and might trully agree with some in this thread. Dont forget we've been making the same comments about youth since we started keeping written history. 

BBC did a nice piece

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

true, but "know everything and judge all older people" will set them straight... my funniest observation with judgmental older people is that some of them have no idea how ignorant they sound when they speak, yet feel the need to fully control the gavel...

now that is funny :P

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Also tagged with Analysis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users