Talk to me like I don't know anything about this game. What's the best line to start with?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

mustangman6579 #1 Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

If i newcomer came to WoT, I's tell them the RUS med line. Or WoWs, I say the new French cruiser line or German BBs. 

But for the life of me, i can't figure out where to start here. 

I tried the US cause Duh. But they seem to be lackluster. I remember when P-38s were OP, and now i never see them anymore. 

So where do I go?

Steel_bomber_ #2 Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Fly what you like and what your stile is.

One month a certain plane is OP,  the other month another one is OP.  They nerf and buff planes to their liking, even the ones you bought (if you ever bought one).

You get screwed over every time by WG, so just fly what you want.

There is a website: warplanes.today here you can figure out plane statistics.

But those stats are avarage of course, if you fly such a plane how it has to be flown you will get higher stats.

Good luck! 

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

Psicko23 #3 Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I personally had issues with the US line until I came back to them after I got more experience with the other lines. Most of the planes will be similar until about t3 and some lines take up to t5 to get to their distinctive planes and characteristics. For bnz planes the German ME line from t4 and up is pretty good minus the t7 in my opinion. I think the USSR lines are good. The il16e and l are awesome. The mig line is good minus the t6 210. I like the la line minus the lagg3. The yak fighter line is good in mid tiers, but I think suffers in higher tiers (t7 and above). I'm digging the Japanese army KI line, although a bit fragile but much better than the zero line(although in have none of the j7's, which are good from what the good players tell me and what I witness). The spitfire line gets good at t5 and above minus the t6(from what I've experienced).

Yagos2k16 #4 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 582 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I would recommend starting off with The German Heavy fighter line, the planes are fast have a lot of HP and devastating firepower.

If you prefer Light fighters then I would recommend the UK spitfire line as these planes have decent stats all round and are very fun to fly all the way up to the Tier IX attacker. The tier X swift fly's well but the guns are terrible.

Edited by Yagos2k16, 12 September 2017 - 12:21 PM.

GhostPrime #5 Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View Postmustangman6579, on 11 September 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

If i newcomer came to WoT, I's tell them the RUS med line. Or WoWs, I say the new French cruiser line or German BBs. 

But for the life of me, i can't figure out where to start here. 

I tried the US cause Duh. But they seem to be lackluster. I remember when P-38s were OP, and now i never see them anymore. 

So where do I go?

Hello! 

Personally, I started with the German Heavy line, but tried the RU light fighters (Multirole). For me, one one of my favorite planes is the i-16 (L) The early model is a good one too. As far as US planes, I am super fond of the thunderbolt line of Multirole planes. Some do take a bit of getting used to. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Lt_Haruhi_Suzumiya #6 Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 62 battles

Everything are fine,  Grab whichever you want to play.
Just not the Japanese branch,  those are nice on low tier but high tier are pretty painful to play. 

Hard works never wasted..?  nah, Hard works almost always wasted on Japanese branch.  I have Tier 9  J7W2 and Tier 7 Ki-84 on my hangar, these branch are quite interesting branch, but not comfortable to play..

I can't remember it well but if my memories are correct,  I think I started with US Light-fighter line (Mustangs) with Japanese Fleet-air-arm line(A4N with infamous A6Ms to J7W)

+ I heard that those brit's spitfire are good,  well... yes, They are marvelous.  but T5 Spitfire Mk.I and T6 Spitfire Mk.V were not my type.  loved T7 Spitfire Mk.IX

Edited by Lt_Haruhi_Suzumiya, 12 September 2017 - 03:46 PM.

I guess, This pilot is worst teammate when you are on match, *Facepalm

Former 2.0 stat.
7155 matches,  53.12% win rate, Hall of fame 772.

Member Title : Senior Master Sergeant

pyantoryng #7 Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

All lines are playable in Planes...it's just that some of them have more advantage over the others. So fiddle around and find your way...and planes parts are very much interchangable unlike Ships and to a larger degree than Tanks...the research you did on one line of a nation may help you in varying degrees on the others of the same nation. e.g. German jet engines are shared across all the German jets.

The Spitfires have balanced characteristics...they turn well and climb decently and hold good firepower. The Russian Lavochkins (LaGG-3 - La-5/7/9 etc.) are somewhat similar, but they are geared towards horizontal movements than vertical while the US Multirole (Carrier-based/Chance-Vought) line are tilted towards vertical mobility but maintain some turning power.  I'd say these lines are good for beginners.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Dru83 #8 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
In my experience, the Spitfire line was the easiest to learn. They have characteristics of both the TnB and BnZ playstyles and are fairly forgiving to fly. Forgiving meaning the plane won't do anything weird on you when you push it to the limits. Unlike say, the Russian Yak line that'll quickly stall on you anytime you get too aggressive in a climb or loop. The thing is that all the lines are good to start with until around tier 4. After that, and sometimes even at tier 4, things get harder as planes become more differentiated.

Balaise #9 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

Master Sergeant

• 196 battles

I will forward you the advice I've been given 1 year ago when I started to play Wowp again.

US heavy line:

I switched from Corsair line to F7F.

XF5 (Pancake)

F2H

XF-90

I have never tried P-38s but they are fierce enemies.

US heavies are great planes with strong firepower and big chunk of HP.

(Make sure you use Reinforced airframe for +15%HP)

Decent maneuverability for heavies.

Always high ceilings. (Optimum altitude)

Nobody can escape you!

My 2nd advice if would be Mig-3 line. Good mobile planes with always good firepower (save for I-210 which I didnt like that much) 

I-220 is maybe one of the best plane tier for tier . It was "keeper" for me.

Tier 3 (I-15) and Tier 4 (I-17) are super fun, ultra mobile plane.

Sojo #10 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Talking like you don't know anything about this game as requested: World of Warplanes is a bad and dying game that has been openly neglected by WGA for years now with a major change for the worse looming on the horizon.  No clan wars, no tournaments, no community events and the single WGA staffer assigned to it complains of a lack of bandwidth. Note that even the official contests section of the forum is badly neglected and WGA doesn't even have the decency to feel embarrassed about it any more.  

Don't start any line at all.  It will only bring you frustration and regret.  Putting money into this game is like throwing it away.  Just donate it to the charity of your choosing instead.

Bobby_Tables #11 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Well.... after that outpouring of angst by SOJO, how do you feel about the game now OP?

If you want to continue with the game, by all means, do so.  I would also hesitate to spend real $ on this game, unless you feel like they are doing something right and want to show a little love.  Just do it in increments and don't buy a bunch of premium planes for real $ because, well, as SOJO said, it's all gonna change quite soon.  

Now is the time to work on your shooting skills.  Rather than run up one line of planes, I do recommend staying at a tier and getting experience in all of the planes.  For example, At T3, fly each and every plane at least 30 times per plane.  When you get into higher tiers, you might want to think about increasing that to 40, 50 even 100 per plane.  The best way to learn how to defeat a plane is to fly it and learn the strengths and weaknesses of each.  It helps to look at  the tips over to the right when you choose a plane.  For example, if it say "effective in low altitude combat..." don't try and climb super high and take on heavies, etc. etc.  Learning how different planes fly helps you in the long run.  

I still like the game, but I admit the bots are a bit boring and at higher tiers, the play is down to 1 human vs. 1 human and a ton of bots.  The gameplay at tier 3/4/5/ typically has many more humans and can be fun. Learn them all and then figure out what you like best.

Your worst enemy is the economy when you start out.  Stick to a tier, learn the planes, get gud and earn silver and Free XP (the green stuff).  Use the Free XP to upgrade planes after you purchase them, this makes the grind go faster.  

Also, learn about pilot skills and once you earn enough XP on a plane immediately research the plane(s) above the one you are flying.  Don't purchase it yet, but once you max out the Upgrades and research the next plane, you can check the box next you your pilot to increase their training rate.  If this does not make sense, message me and I will try to walk you through it.  [Edit] Until I understood this, I had like 100,000+ XP on a T4 plane and had yet to research the plane above it.  Why?  I was a moron about this stuff.  Now, when I get enough XP to max out all engines, weapons, airframe upgrades, etc. I will immediately research the next plane once I have the XP.  Then, once the plane I am flying is "elited" I will check the box to put all future XP toward pilot training.  It took me years to figure that out.  If you already know that, you are years ahead of me at this point.  

I played for about 1.5 years with totally no idea about how to use Free XP to upgrade planes, how to train pilots, etc.  I was new to gaming (aside from Galaga) and had no idea how to skill up, upgrade up and so on.  The only thing I knew was how to earn tons of silver and now I have so much, I have no idea what to do with it all.

Good luck.   

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 13 September 2017 - 03:54 AM.

mustangman6579 #12 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

Here's the lines Im doing right now. 

USA:

F-86 Sabre line(my favorite WII fighter and Korean war plane is in this line)

Also the F4u(grandfather worked on them).  I wouldn't mind trying the P-38(second favorite plane)

USSR:

On the I-17 to go down the YAK line

Germany:

Trying out the heavy fighters here, but I don't know how to play them very well yet. 

UK. I do want to try thr spitfire line, as I've seen pilots in them do very well. Just not played it really yet. 

I don't want to do too many lines at once. 

mustangman6579 #13 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
Also, I might add, as for real money. Gold and free XP is shared with WoT, which I just recently got back into. So I have no problems spending money for those. I also use the prem time very well as I do play all 3 games. 

pyantoryng #14 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:59 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

You can get hangar slots for free by scraping up 18 tokens...which you can gain without having a T8 by earning one of the service awards (Ace - 5 kills, Destroyer - 4 kills+15 ground points, Thunder - 75 ground points), the former two you can consistently gain in tiers 1-2 when you are decently skilled, and you can go even further and try for some epic achievements (Gabreski - 9 kills+15 ground points, will entail getting Gorovets - 9 kills - and Clostermann - 7 kills+15 ground points - in the process) to earn further of those special coins. Do all this in tier 1 and 2. This may sound dirty, but you gotta do what a peasant gotta do if you don't want to spare a dime and want to expand your hangar.

While prem time can be earned by month with 150 of those tokens...you may want to put that off until you at least get T8 and can complete daily missions to earn tokens. Save your tokens where you can though...fabulous stuff tend to come in the form of tokens  That said, don't be tempted to rush all the way up to that point or buy yourself a T8 prem...the former will ensure that you'll get stomped up there, and the latter defeats the whole point of doing all of that.

By the way, the Yak line have its own split before converging back to one when they become jet...the Yak-7/9 line has really big guns as their flavor (think KV-2), but their accuracy is really poor and almost unworkable if you have high 3-digit ping, while the Yak-1/3 branch focuses on maneuverability and has more practical armaments.

As you tier up and get more slots, keep your planes for at least a month to get the free EXP bonus from first month anniversary...keep the planes you really like for a year to get some of those every year...IF WoWP still stands until then and the regime remains the same when it comes to that...the higher tier the better free EXP reward, and at tier 10 you get 5 days of prem every anniversary.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

mustangman6579 #15 Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
Is the P-40 one of the worst planes in this game? If I fight other fighters, i seem to always lose. I feel like all i can combat is heavy fighters and attack. 

pyantoryng #16 Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Postmustangman6579, on 13 September 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

Is the P-40 one of the worst planes in this game? If I fight other fighters, i seem to always lose. I feel like all i can combat is heavy fighters and attack. 

Outside of Fw 190 most every other fighters can turn better than the P-40...turn less, or just run 4 machine guns to make yourself slightly lighter, and 4 are more than enough for that tier.

Sojo #17 Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostBobby_Tables, on 12 September 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Well.... after that outpouring of angst by SOJO, how do you feel about the game now OP?

If you want to continue with the game, by all means, do so.  I would also hesitate to spend real $ on this game, unless you feel like they are doing something right and want to show a little love.  

Yeah... where's Porkins when you need him?

Oh yeah... gone with everyone else who already had the sense to leave this mess of a game.

this game sucks and is never getting better

mustangman6579 #18 Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

View PostSojo, on 13 September 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yeah... where's Porkins when you need him?

Oh yeah... gone with everyone else who already had the sense to leave this mess of a game.

this game sucks and is never getting better

Sojo. You have over 23k battles. You also still seem quiet active on the forums. Despite your negative attitude towards the game, I sense that you still want to play, and want this game to get better. 

So, tell me what you would personally like to see changed. What you think is needed to fix this game.

Sojo #19 Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postmustangman6579, on 13 September 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Sojo. You have over 23k battles. You also still seem quiet active on the forums. Despite your negative attitude towards the game, I sense that you still want to play, and want this game to get better. 

So, tell me what you would personally like to see changed. What you think is needed to fix this game.

You are quite thoroughly confused.  I was a longtime player and very active in the forums once before I became disillusioned and took a year+ break after a long time of defending and promoting this game. But the game's still as bad as it was when I left and getting worse.

What's needed to fix this game?  About 10K+ players and some viable endgame content sure wouldn't hurt, but WGA is entirely uncommitted to either of those on its best days.  Sometimes there are WGA-sponsored contests that involve making stuff out of food though, so at least there's that to look forward to.  And no, I'm not even kidding -- that actually, literally happens and it's the best effort WGA has mustered in years.  That's all you can even hope for now.

Find another game.

Hiryu51 #20 Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Airman Basic

• 40 battles

View PostDru83, on 12 September 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

In my experience, the Spitfire line was the easiest to learn. They have characteristics of both the TnB and BnZ playstyles and are fairly forgiving to fly. Forgiving meaning the plane won't do anything weird on you when you push it to the limits. Unlike say, the Russian Yak line that'll quickly stall on you anytime you get too aggressive in a climb or loop. The thing is that all the lines are good to start with until around tier 4. After that, and sometimes even at tier 4, things get harder as planes become more differentiated.

Agree... Spitfire is my favorite followed by ME109. Zero's die with one shot and the Yak's have bad performance characteristics. P-51D is in a category by itself!  :)

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users