Jump to content


Next event will be Guadalcanal/ solomon island campaign

USA japan australia Guadalcanal solomon islands community event

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

outwardpanicjoe #1 Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:27 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014
So the next event will involve the Guadalcanal campaign August 7, 1942, - February 9, 1943 so the USA, Japan, and Australia will be involved. though I have been having trouble finding the right Japanese aircraft I should include in this other than the A6m zeros that's a given. any thoughts? please post down below! :D      

Attached Thumbnails


Edited by outwardpanicjoe, 30 August 2017 - 06:40 AM.


hawkeyededic #2 Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

    Resident Researcher

  • -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles
  • 1,849
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012

Historically the A6M2 and A6M3 Zeros bore the brunt of the fighter workload for the Japanese, although the IJAAF was involved to a lesser degree operating Ki-43 I and Ki-43 II initially. Beginning in early 1943 Ki-61's arrived at Rabaul but those were mostly employed more against New Guinea though some did make there way into the fighting in the northern Solomon Islands.

 

Basically the make-up I would recommend would be

 

Japanese A6M2 and Ki-43 aircraft

US  F4F Wildcats, and P-39N Airacobras (premium that was available for a limited time late last year)

 

If you wanted to include the Ki-61 then you could also add the F4U-1 and P-38F to the US side.

 

The RAAF at the time was more focused on operations in New Guinea.


Edited by hawkeyededic, 30 August 2017 - 09:53 AM.


 

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.


mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 52 battles
  • 1,710
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013
Jumping ahead a little here but wouldn't it be neat if we did an alternate history of the defeat of Japan, with the americans getting the P-51D, P-47N, F7F, F4U-4, and P-80 while the Japanese get the A7M, Ki-84, J8M, and the J7W1. The Japanese getting more T8s balances out I think. :kamikaze:

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 31 August 2017 - 12:29 AM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

 

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


outwardpanicjoe #4 Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 30 August 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

Jumping ahead a little here but wouldn't it be neat if we did an alternate history of the defeat of Japan, with the americans getting the P-51D, P-47N, F7F, F4U-4, and P-80 while the Japanese get the A7M, Ki-84, J8M, and the J7W1. The Japanese getting more T8s balances out I think. :kamikaze:

 

true but it would also be nice to get more Japanese planes in here we are missing quite a few and so is the British line. 

outwardpanicjoe #5 Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Posthawkeyededic, on 30 August 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

Historically the A6M2 and A6M3 Zeros bore the brunt of the fighter workload for the Japanese, although the IJAAF was involved to a lesser degree operating Ki-43 I and Ki-43 II initially. Beginning in early 1943 Ki-61's arrived at Rabaul but those were mostly employed more against New Guinea though some did make there way into the fighting in the northern Solomon Islands.

 

Basically the make-up I would recommend would be

 

Japanese A6M2 and Ki-43 aircraft

US  F4F Wildcats, and P-39N Airacobras (premium that was available for a limited time late last year)

 

If you wanted to include the Ki-61 then you could also add the F4U-1 and P-38F to the US side.

 

The RAAF at the time was more focused on operations in New Guinea.

 




outwardpanicjoe #6 Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014
Do you know if the A6M2 s were the model 11s or the model 21s??

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #7 Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 15 battles
  • 950
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    12-13-2012

View Postoutwardpanicjoe, on 31 August 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Do you know if the A6M2 s were the model 11s or the model 21s??

 

Can't find anything direct on it, but the 11s didn't even have 10% as many made as the 21s. 11s were also sent to Manchuria, so my money would be on 21s.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.


Pogo68 #8 Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 302 battles
  • 1,207
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

A6M2-21's as well as the early A6M3's were the ones used.

According to Sakai, the pilots hated the A6M3 during that campaign because of their reduced range.

In order to get from Rabaul to Guadalcanal, they had dogfight with external fuel tanks.

 


DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

outwardpanicjoe #9 Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

if I had to choose a replacement for the dauntless dive bomber what do you think would make a good fit ??

 



hawkeyededic #10 Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

    Resident Researcher

  • -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles
  • 1,849
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 31 August 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

 

Can't find anything direct on it, but the 11s didn't even have 10% as many made as the 21s. 11s were also sent to Manchuria, so my money would be on 21s.

 

The model 11's were a land based variant, without the carrier equipment and folding wingtips. There  were probably a few model 11's at Rabaul but my money would be on mostly model 21's.

View Postoutwardpanicjoe, on 02 September 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

if I had to choose a replacement for the dauntless dive bomber what do you think would make a good fit ??

 

 

There really isn't a good replacement in game, but probably the Seversky P-35 with no wing guns if you want bombs. The P-43 could work as well, but would be too fast to stand in for the SBD. The 2PA would work as well, tail gun but no bombs with a similar gun arrangement, being a couple of tiers low would make it similar in performance to the SBD.


 

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.


outwardpanicjoe #11 Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 130
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Posthawkeyededic, on 02 September 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

 

The model 11's were a land based variant, without the carrier equipment and folding wingtips. There  were probably a few model 11's at Rabaul but my money would be on mostly model 21's.

 

There really isn't a good replacement in game, but probably the Seversky P-35 with no wing guns if you want bombs. The P-43 could work as well, but would be too fast to stand in for the SBD. The 2PA would work as well, tail gun but no bombs with a similar gun arrangement, being a couple of tiers low would make it similar in performance to the SBD.

ah yes the P2A would be great!  I almost forgot that was around if only it had bombs too, I know it's not American but I have been thinking about the Skua they do have some similarities and if you slap a blue camo and an American flag on it might pass lol    






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users