418 Sqn RCAF Mosquito Mk.26 (Chinese Mosquito)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3523 battles

de Havilland Mosquito Mk.26, 418 Squadron, RCAF, TH-U, 'Moonbeam McSwine', crewed by 1st Lt James "Lou" Luma and F/O Colin Finlayson, April 1944.

Replacement skin for the Base textures for the Chinese Mosquito mk.26

Lt. James "Lou" Luma, DFC, USAAF/RCAF and his navigator F/O Colin Finlayson RCAF, flew 30 missions over occupied Europe from September 1943 till April 1944, downing 5 enemy aircraft during Intruder and Ranger sorties.

No. 418 Squadron RCAF was Canada's highest-scoring squadron in WWII, in terms of both air-to-air and air-to-ground kills, and in terms of both day and night operations. The Squadron's most active period was 1944, when assigned to Intruder and Ranger sorties across occupied Europe.These sorties, made at low level to escape radar detection, took 418 Squadron crews into the heart of enemy territory, there to wreak havoc among departing or returning Luftwaffe night-fighter crews (Intruder sorties), or to shoot up enemy airfields, or indeed anything else of military value, in Ranger sorties. As an Intruder squadron, 418 Sqn's aircraft did not carry radar sets - even at night targets had to be found, identified, lined up and attacked all with the naked eye. The squadron's success speaks volumes of the skill of its crews that it achieved such success under these conditions.

After the war, the squadron re-equipped with North American B-25 Mitchell in a tactical bomber role from the Edmonton Municipal Airport. At this time the majority of Canada's air defense was made up of reservists and 418 was no exception with students, businessmen, and professionals in the Edmonton area giving up their spare time to protect Canada's north. By 1958, defense cuts reduced the squadron's activities to a transport role flying the Single Otter and C-45 Expeditor from RCAF Station Namao. Upon unification of the forces the squadron was converted to the de Havilland Twin Otter and the squadron's role was redefined as search and rescue, and light tactical transport. Today No. 418 City of Edmonton Squadron is currently inactive, with a presence in the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton, Alberta.

<<<NOTE>>>

There are two versions of included, both replace the default Base skin.

First is a Custom skin with all markings painted on, this version requires the files to remove the Chinese markings found at HERE.

Second is a default version with no markings painted on. This is a camouflage version with no markings painted on. It is intended to use all the default Chinese markings so no additional files are required to use this version.

You can download this skin at: RCAF 418sqn.zip

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

PhoinexFire #2 Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9130 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

That looks sick!!!! 

You always do a great job with these, hawk <o

hawkeyededic #3 Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3523 battles

Thanks.

Mars_Revanent  previewed this one during his Canada Day stream in July. I bought a house since then and had to put aside all my projects until we got moved in and settled down. So now I am catching up with several projects I worked on while offline.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

MARS_REVENANT #4 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:18 PM

Major

• 34281 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Posthawkeyededic, on 18 August 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

de Havilland Mosquito Mk.26, 418 Squadron, RCAF, TH-U, 'Moonbeam McSwine', crewed by 1st Lt James "Lou" Luma and F/O Colin Finlayson, April 1944.

Replacement skin for the Base textures for the Chinese Mosquito mk.26

Lt. James "Lou" Luma, DFC, USAAF/RCAF and his navigator F/O Colin Finlayson RCAF, flew 30 missions over occupied Europe from September 1943 till April 1944, downing 5 enemy aircraft during Intruder and Ranger sorties.

No. 418 Squadron RCAF was Canada's highest-scoring squadron in WWII, in terms of both air-to-air and air-to-ground kills, and in terms of both day and night operations. The Squadron's most active period was 1944, when assigned to Intruder and Ranger sorties across occupied Europe.These sorties, made at low level to escape radar detection, took 418 Squadron crews into the heart of enemy territory, there to wreak havoc among departing or returning Luftwaffe night-fighter crews (Intruder sorties), or to shoot up enemy airfields, or indeed anything else of military value, in Ranger sorties. As an Intruder squadron, 418 Sqn's aircraft did not carry radar sets - even at night targets had to be found, identified, lined up and attacked all with the naked eye. The squadron's success speaks volumes of the skill of its crews that it achieved such success under these conditions.

After the war, the squadron re-equipped with North American B-25 Mitchell in a tactical bomber role from the Edmonton Municipal Airport. At this time the majority of Canada's air defense was made up of reservists and 418 was no exception with students, businessmen, and professionals in the Edmonton area giving up their spare time to protect Canada's north. By 1958, defense cuts reduced the squadron's activities to a transport role flying the Single Otter and C-45 Expeditor from RCAF Station Namao. Upon unification of the forces the squadron was converted to the de Havilland Twin Otter and the squadron's role was redefined as search and rescue, and light tactical transport. Today No. 418 City of Edmonton Squadron is currently inactive, with a presence in the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton, Alberta.

<<<NOTE>>>

There are two versions of included, both replace the default Base skin.

First is a Custom skin with all markings painted on, this version requires the files to remove the Chinese markings found at HERE.

Second is a default version with no markings painted on. This is a camouflage version with no markings painted on. It is intended to use all the default Chinese markings so no additional files are required to use this version.

You can download this skin at: RCAF 418sqn.zip

Going to be flying this tonight in my Twitch stream... Can anyone tell me what is the correct folder path in the res_mods folder?

Would it be C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res_mods\1.9.11.0\vehicles\airplanes\china\CH08_MOSQUITO_MK26 or just in the 'aiplanes' forlder with no 'china' sub directory?

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

Major

• 34281 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
Seems to be working under the \airplanes\china\ directory

hawkeyededic #6 Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3523 battles
Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner Mars, had to work a double last night and just got home. Glad to see you got it working though. How did the stream go with her?

MARS_REVENANT #7 Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Major

• 34281 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Posthawkeyededic, on 14 September 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner Mars, had to work a double last night and just got home. Glad to see you got it working though. How did the stream go with her?

Not well... can you make it invisible?  Vid is set to start at the right spot.

hawkeyededic #8 Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3523 battles
Sometimes I wish I was invisible when I play, feels like everyone goes after the known name.

MARS_REVENANT #9 Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Major

• 34281 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Posthawkeyededic, on 14 September 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Sometimes I wish I was invisible when I play, feels like everyone goes after the known name.

That and I'm not used to flying it... up against a p-38 there was not much I could do.  I'm not one to hide in my corner till they are distracted... but that would have probably been the best option.

hawkeyededic #10 Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:55 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3523 battles
Been a while since I played around with the Mosquito, but if memory serves me, against a P-38 try and drag tghe fight down to the middle of your green altitude. It evens up the fight a bit, but you basically can never tilt the scales in your favor unless you catch them totally unaware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users