GhostPrime is WOWP moving to a central server?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

GouIdy #1 Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18632 battles

Meathead announced that WOT is being moved to a central server, a few questions.

# 1   Will WOWP be moving to the new location?

# 2   Does this mean that WOT east & west servers are merging?

# 3   Will WOW be moving from the San Jose area to the new central location?

# 4   What is the locale of the new central location?

FlakValleyExpress #2 Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Captain

• 11991 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 12 August 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

Meathead announced that WOT is being moved to a central server, a few questions.

# 1   Will WOWP be moving to the new location?

# 2   Does this mean that WOT east & west servers are merging?

# 3   Will WOW be moving from the San Jose area to the new central location?

# 4   What is the locale of the new central location?

This couldn't be because the WoT player base has fallen that badly? Wow, this must be tough times for WG. FYI if they (WoT server) go so do we, since we are on the same servers. So will they be based in Des Moines Iowa? Will the WGNA HQ move out of California too?

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

GouIdy #3 Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18632 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 August 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

So will they be based in Des Moines Iowa? Will the WGNA HQ move out of California too?

If they are using the same company to handle the servers then my guesses are Chicago, Denver or Dallas because they own data centers in those locations. Can't see them moving HQ because it is just a office location & it would be very expensive to relocate all their employees for no reason.

Edited by GouIdy, 12 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

20thCenturyLtd #4 Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 12 August 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

If they are using the same company to handle the servers then my guesses are Chicago, Denver or Dallas because they own data centers in those locations. Can't see them moving HQ because it is just a office location & it would be very expensive to relocate all their employees for no reason.

Actually it could make a lot of economic sense for them if they are trying to cut costs over the long term. Nissan relocated their NA HQ from high tax CA to low tax TN. 

Z3M #5 Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3074 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 August 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

This couldn't be because the WoT player base has fallen that badly? Wow, this must be tough times for WG. FYI if they (WoT server) go so do we, since we are on the same servers. So will they be based in Des Moines Iowa? Will the WGNA HQ move out of California too?

As far as the WOT forums go, the numbers have pretty much stalled at 20000 or so a night.  It's summer, so hard to tell.  As for the WG games, way too popular in Russia and EU to fold.  Servers might move and consolidate, but WG games are not going anywhere soon.  In my opinion.

lurpmaster #6 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2263 battles
I wonder if 2.0 coming is correlated with this :ohmy:

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #7 Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 August 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

The pop is pretty stable right now. Yeah, small drop off year over year but about 20k during the evenings at this moment. The problem is that there is a big difference between the number of players that play east and west. This has caused issues with people on west getting acceptable Q times at certain times of the day. 

I'm hearing Chicago for the new server location. 

TeamTerrible #8 Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 46394 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Something has to be done with 2.0 coming up

If the server cannot handle what we have in population now then they might as well shut it down 

Server issues seem to affect both games during events or a new version mode, hopefully after all of these blunders somebody figures this out

BrushWolf #9 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10781 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 August 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

The west server never had much more than 2/3 of the east servers population. Going to a single server cluster should have happened a long time ago.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

mnbv_fockewulfe #10 Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4590 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
there goes my 20 ping.:(

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

GouIdy #11 Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18632 battles
Bumpity bump... GP hellooooo?

GhostPrime #12 Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1656 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostGouIdy, on 14 August 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Bumpity bump... GP hellooooo?

Hi!

As far as I am aware nothing is changing. As soon as I get more information I will share it with all of you, rest assured. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

MARS_REVENANT #13 Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Colonel

• 34638 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

I know I'll be resting assured.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

oldiowaguy #14 Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15691 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

If you guys need anyone to check the server if it moves to Des Moines just let me know!:trollface:

Edit: Could also be Omaha, Nebraska. I know they are really pushing for more tech industries to move to Omaha. Not sure if the huge new Google data/server farm is up and running there.

Edited by oldiowaguy, 14 August 2017 - 08:07 PM.

EspressoForHammy #15 Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5307 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 August 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

I know I'll be resting assured.

I actually snorted out loud in my quiet office. I mean a SERIOUS kind of piggish snort that probably had people peering around the cube.

I can visualize you resting assured right now. It's easy since I know what you look like.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

MARS_REVENANT #16 Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

Colonel

• 34638 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostEspressoForHammy, on 14 August 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I actually snorted out loud in my quiet office. I mean a SERIOUS kind of piggish snort that probably had people peering around the cube.

I can visualize you resting assured right now. It's easy since I know what you look like.

Are my feet up in your visualization? Rest assured, I would need my feet elevated to rest assured.  Birkenstocks, in case you were wondering.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

MelBrooks #17 Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 30354 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostGhostPrime, on 14 August 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Hi!

As far as I am aware nothing is changing. As soon as I get more information I will share it with all of you, rest assured. 

To all at WGNA,

What do we need to do so that GP gets cc:'d on the internal memos more often? Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Regards,

Western Hemisphere players

GouIdy #18 Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18632 battles

Update as far as tanks are concerned, still no information if other titles will be moved to a central server.

Quemapueblos #1 Posted Today, 03:35 PM

Associate Producer

• Administrator
  • 8615 battles
  • 677 message_img.png
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

Hello Tankers,

We know you have a ton of questions about the Server Merge Questions and below are answers to some of ones we've seen since last week.

Please let us know what additional questions you have about the server merge and we will gather them daily to send off to the team for further explanation. Their responses will be posted in this thread.

There will also be a survey once the servers merge is live to help us optimize and check for issues. The link will be added to this post when it's live.

NEW ANSWERS IN RED

Updated: 8/14/2017 5pm PT

Where is the new server located?

Chicago

Has the server merge started and is any current lag due to this change over?

No, the merge will start early Wednesday. Any current issues are not due to the server change over

Will I need to do anything special to update my client to connect with the new server?

No, there will be a small patch to redirect your client to the correct server but you don't need to do anything special. Just open the launcher and patch like normal.

Why are we doing this merge, what is the benefit for players?

The goal for merging our servers into the new NA Central location is to improve our matchmaking times for all players by having them join a single queue. This also will help to combine all eligible players for special modes like Ranked Battles, Clan activities, and the upcoming Grand Battles (30v30), 9.20 Update, which includes huge balance changes, great new modes, and a new tank line, and more.

When will the server merge occur?

Servers will go down on 8/16/2017 at 2:00am PT and are planned to go live at 3:15am PT 8/16/2017

Will this specifically fix the server lag? If not, when is the server lag fix?

The current plan is to finish the server merge, and focus on stabilizing the regional connections that are going to be impacted by this shift in location. Our server operations team is working daily to optimize our network connections, and improve routing by working with our partners such as Level3, Telia, and Comcast. Engineers will be monitoring performance for the entire region, including North and South America. Server lag has been an ongoing issue we will work to resolve as we focus on NA Central stability. There is no ETA for this to be 100% fixed, but we’re committed to improving the situation for users who have lag and freezing issues.

When will the server lag get better?

We will post frequent updates in this thread. For the next week we will post daily, and any time emergencies or big changes arise. To help us debug issues on an personal level, you can click the survey link below (that will be live once the merge) for complete instructions on how to send us logs and information about your situation. The more info we can gather, the faster we can stabilize the server! We will keep you posted here each week with a report from our development team about progress. Check back here to read updates, and ask questions in our dedicated forum.

Why is my ping worse?

When we move the server, the networking connections across NA will be updated. At first you may see higher ping inside the game client.  But our priority is optimizing the connections and minimizing any packet loss. Players may see higher ping values in-game, but if there is a stable connection, your gameplay experience should not be degraded. We know that merge issues won’t resolve overnight, but were committed to monitoring and optimizing for as long as it takes. Stay tuned for updates in this section, and specifically this thread.

How will this affect LATAM players?

For any player, there is the potential to have a slower connection based on their distance and routing to our servers. We will be optimizing our connections to all locations, and its very important to provide a playable experience to players on the NA server. The best thing any player can do is fill out our survey that will be available after the server merge if they are having difficulty with connection or gameplay quality. This includes tankers from Latin America!

[Survey Link Incoming When Server Is Live]

Can I transfer servers if my ping gets worse?

We are working on a customer support plan to allow users to transfer servers. More information to follow shortly on this topic, and we will update this thread with links and details this week.

BrushWolf #19 Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10781 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Since we currently piggyback on the WoT server if they move we will move along with them.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

GhostPrime #20 Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1656 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
The WoWP server is not moving, only the WoT server. Currently, there are no plans to move the wowp server to the new WOTPC server. I will make an announcement if any of that were ti change. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users