why isn't the grumman F6F Hellcat avalible

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

JO_BOOTY #1 Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Airman Basic

• 7 battles

I was wondering why you don't have the Grumman F6F hellcat in the tech tree. It was a lot better than the F4F wildcat, and could out perform the F4F. 

It was the top navy fighter of WWII.

Rounne #2 Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
Because the company realized that if they put it in the tier that it should be in, it would dominate the tier completely. It would basically be too OP of a plane. However, given that they want more money now it certainly should be offered as an OP premium plane. Especially considering that so many other OP premium planes are out now.

Sassover #3 Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles

View PostRounne, on 04 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Because the company realized that if they put it in the tier that it should be in, it would dominate the tier completely. It would basically be too OP of a plane. However, given that they want more money now it certainly should be offered as an OP premium plane. Especially considering that so many other OP premium planes are out now.

Ah, no.

WG/Persha just haven't gotten around to it yet. Why...your guess would be as good as any. Will we ever see it...guess that depends on if the game survives & flourishes post 2.0

pyantoryng #4 Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 876 battles

How planes are added in WoWP is one family at a time...the Hellcat will either come in full line of Grumman's or not at all...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Rounne #5 Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
We already have tons of Grumman planes in the game. They could have added the Hellcat years ago. Why didn't they? Because at the time this company still believed that premium planes needed to be weaker than regular ones. As well, the Hellcat would have completely dominated it's tier 4,5, or even 6. Today, because they are not making a lot of money and to have a big influx of people and cash with the release of 2.0 they could finally add the Hellcat to the game as a premium plane. But it better be damn OP or releasing it will backfire more than help anything. The Hellcat has been asked for since before this game was even released. People ask for the Hellcat every few months or just like this post they wonder what on earth possessed these developers to exclude one of the most successful, iconic, and historic U.S. planes of the entire war era. 

Texthor #6 Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7 battles
The only plane I want.......should be Tier 5 or 6, but they will put it at Tier 7 with low HP (300) and won't be able to compete with the flying tanks.......

Sassover #7 Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles

View PostRounne, on 04 August 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

We already have tons of Grumman planes in the game. They could have added the Hellcat years ago. Why didn't they? Because at the time this company still believed that premium planes needed to be weaker than regular ones. As well, the Hellcat would have completely dominated it's tier 4,5, or even 6. Today, because they are not making a lot of money and to have a big influx of people and cash with the release of 2.0 they could finally add the Hellcat to the game as a premium plane. But it better be damn OP or releasing it will backfire more than help anything. The Hellcat has been asked for since before this game was even released. People ask for the Hellcat every few months or just like this post they wonder what on earth possessed these developers to exclude one of the most successful, iconic, and historic U.S. planes of the entire war era. 

Still no. The F6F is no more OP than say a P51D. Why WG/Persha decided to stop the Grumman line at T5, and then go with Voight is a mystery...like so much of the design decisions in this game. There is an answer for things that are OP...NERF. WG is never afraid to nerf the OP in the game, so that cannot be the reason.

Fact is, The F6F should not be a Premium plane, but instead part of a new branch of the existing tech tree line. F6F/F8F/F9F/F9F-6

Psicko23 #8 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Lol, this has been asked since the beginning. I would like the f6f up, but I know Persha would probably mess it up.

300 hit points would be a rough guess at an average hit point pool for t7. Low for multi roles, as the f4u4 has 350 and the t7 jug has  450. A lot of fighters have less. 300 is still plenty for killing ga's.

outwardpanicjoe #9 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7 battles
  • [SF] SF

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 04 August 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

Still no. The F6F is no more OP than say a P51D. Why WG/Persha decided to stop the Grumman line at T5, and then go with Voight is a mystery...like so much of the design decisions in this game. There is an answer for things that are OP...NERF. WG is never afraid to nerf the OP in the game, so that cannot be the reason.

Fact is, The F6F should not be a Premium plane, but instead part of a new branch of the existing tech tree line. F6F/F8F/F9F/F9F-6

but that would be too easy but anyway i would love to see all the aircraft you just mentioned 

J311yfish #10 Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 266 battles
  • [343] 343

future event?

Tier U.S.A. Japan
VI Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat Mitsubishi J2M Raiden ("Jack")
VII Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden ("George")
VIII Grumman F8F Bearcat Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden Kai ("George")
IX Grumman F9F Panther Nakajima Kikka
X Grumman F9F-6 Cougar Kugisho R2Y2 Keiun

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  Italy    France  //  Sweden    Finland (skins)    Poland    China    Brazil    UNITED STATES  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

pyantoryng #11 Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 876 battles

View PostJ311yfish, on 05 August 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

future event?

Tier U.S.A. Japan
VI Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat Mitsubishi J2M Raiden ("Jack")
VII Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden ("George")
VIII Grumman F8F Bearcat Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden Kai ("George")
IX Grumman F9F Panther Nakajima Kikka
X Grumman F9F-6 Cougar Kugisho R2Y2 Keiun

Hmm...Annual event for tree release...not sure if I like this idea, but...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ggh325 #12 Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

Airman Basic

• 28 battles
The hellcat isn't that good dude.

ramp4ge #13 Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles
I don't see why the Hellcat would need to be above tier 6. It wasn't really spectacular. It wasn't world-beating in any way, it was just tough and well-armed(ish). Paired with superior pilot training, it proved to be good enough. But then again, with that superior pilot training, the F4F was good enough too.

Thornir #14 Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 520 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View Postramp4ge, on 26 October 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

I don't see why the Hellcat would need to be above tier 6. It wasn't really spectacular. It wasn't world-beating in any way, it was just tough and well-armed(ish). Paired with superior pilot training, it proved to be good enough. But then again, with that superior pilot training, the F4F was good enough too.

The F6F was a carrier aircraft. AS a carrier aircraft, it was spectacular. Yes, the F4F with an excellent pilot in a flight of two with ANOTHER excellent pilot could hold its own. The F6F was so good an AVERAGE pilot could fight and win in it. Most of the gaudy numbers of kills came during and after the Turkey Shoot, but it was superior to everything else launched from a ship, day one.

The F8F was even better.

Both should be in game, along with the Spad, even if you have to jump over from the P47D to get it as a GAA. Best attack aircraft in the history of everything.

vonluckner #15 Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 534 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

View Postramp4ge, on 26 October 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

It was pretty excellent as a design and no doubt the best carrier fighter of the war- without question. It had adequate performance coupled with all the best qualities of American equipment during the war- hard to break and easy to fix, good quality of life for the crew.

The reason for having one at T7 is pragmatic.

There are really two options. Grumman line is a fighter line, or a Multirole line. US doesn't need another multirole line, and certainly not another USN multirole line.

If it's going to be a fighter line, what do you put at T7? You could have a superb F6F-5, or you could have a heavily nerfed F8F-1. People probably would rather play the former than the latter since the Hellcat is really the most iconic aircraft in the line. Second, the F8F isn't really contemporary with any of the other T7s. The majority of T7 fighters were introduced in 1944 and most are the definitive versions of these aircraft during WW2. T8 is then reserved for postwar piston engined fighters, or apex designs of WW2- Griffon Spitfire and Ta-152.

The Bearcat fits more naturally at T8, vs. fighting a bunch of 1944 aircraft. It would be easy enough to fit the F6F at that tier by just making it an overall agile aircraft to compensate for its slower speed (which would still be faster than the A7M if you allow the Hellcat to take engine upgrades to be the F6F-6).

trikke #16 Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 826 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
are we sure that we even get a vote?
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Psicko23 #17 Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
 No, we don't get a vote.  Persha does what it wants when it wants. Kinda like a lower budget ea.

Edited by Psicko23, 01 December 2017 - 09:38 PM.

cwizard59 #18 Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 229 battles
  • [NMSYS] NMSYS

It should not even be a discussion about whether the F6F was in the lineup. It is the logical progression of the wildcat navy line. The F4U was mostly used by Marines from ground bases with the inability see the deck was not as much of a liability. It should be in a separate line, maybe as an attack aircraft since the marines used it a lot to attack ground targets with rockets and bombs. The Japanese did not call it "Whistling Death" for nothing.

Onyx #19 Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 696 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postpyantoryng, on 04 August 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

How planes are added in WoWP is one family at a time...the Hellcat will either come in full line of Grumman's or not at all...

More or less this

I'm expecting it to branch off the F4F (obviously), go F6F-3 tier 6, F6F-5 tier 7, F8F tier 8, F9F Panther tier 9, and F9F Cougar tier 10.  It possibly will be a cannon line and possibly be a decent turning one (9s range using current numbers) but have poor altitude performance (until jets, maybe) and be a bit slower overall.  Unless the devs want to be silly and add the XF10F or F-11, both of which would be problematic for different reasons (swing wing with a bizarre tailplane and 1956 introduction on a plane with afterburner, mach 1.1 capable, etc, it's too new).

I'm hoping they also take the F2A buffalo, delete it or otherwise shift it around, replace it with the F4F (fitted appropriately to tier 4), and make the FM-2 tier 5 (which is what the current F4F is in terms of engine power, so it wouldn't be hard).

Then Grumman could have an entire line devoted purely to itself from the F2F to the F9F.

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 730 battles

View PostOnyx, on 09 January 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

I'm hoping they also take the F2A buffalo, delete it or otherwise shift it around, replace it with the F4F (fitted appropriately to tier 4), and make the FM-2 tier 5 (which is what the current F4F is in terms of engine power, so it wouldn't be hard).

Leave my Brewster alone dammit.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users