• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Hey Everyone!

I'm starting a new series of feedback requests on specific topics. I will put up one topic per week, and try to gather some general opinions on how the forum feels about each topic and hopefully we'll get some useful information out of these discussions! So, please stay on-topic and try to be constructive! It's OK to have a negative opinion, but please try to state it in a way that fosters discussion and growth in the game!

This Week's Topic: Speed

For this first week's topic I chose speed because it has been a hot topic since Alpha. The developers have tried a lot of interesting things surrounding speed to give the game more excitement - special camera effects (anybody remember that camera zoom effect?) and different sound effects. 

So let's talk about where it's at now:

1. Do you feel that aircraft are fast enough at this point? Why or why not?
  2. Do you feel that aircraft speed is 'usable' right now? 
    1. Do you find it easy or difficult to maintain a specific airspeed? Why or why not?
    2. Do you find the throttle settings between 'idle' and 'full' to be useful? Why or why not?
    3. Do you tend to use only 'idle', 'full', and 'boost' settings? Why or why not?
  3. Do you think that there are any improvements that could be made to aircraft speeds in general?

Participation is (obviously) optional, but I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's opinions! I hope that by running these weekly discussions we'll be able to collectively identify areas in which players are satisfied, as well as where they're not so happy and escalate these feedback areas to the developers. It's important for the developers to see where they're doing things that make us (players) happy, and where they're doing things that garner negative feedback.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Due to the 20% incremental for non-stick user I only find 80% useful for quicker cooling while in cruise...should be 10% increments...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

J311yfish #3 Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2670 battles
  • [343] 343

Good questions -- very targeted.

Questions / Answers

Edited by J311yfish, 03 August 2017 - 02:57 PM.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

armydoc83 #4 Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 30 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I'm going to assume we're not talking about things like energy retention here as that pertains more to altitude.

Do you feel that aircraft are fast enough at this point? Why or why not?

I think that speed is adequate for the map sizes. Both LF and HF can get from one corner of the map to another in quick enough order. You're also not constantly running out of map space when trying to evade or gain altitude. GA neither buzz over ground targets nor (mostly) take forever to get to the first cluster. There's also a very good progression of speed increase across the tiers so that players can slowly acclimate to the eventual transition to the jet age.

Do you feel that aircraft speed is 'usable' right now? 

For the most part yes. I can breach, stall, and weave with an IL to throw off the approach of fast enemy fighters while waiting for supremacy to max out. Simply speeding away horizontally is also a great tactic for escaping slower fighters when gaining enough altitude to evade damage would be impossible. The importance of staying within your plane's ideal altitude is also somewhat important as that slight increase in acceleration/maximum speed can be the difference between escaping with little damage, escaping with your plane full of holes, and being run down and destroyed.

Do you find it easy or difficult to maintain a specific airspeed? Why or why not?

Do you find the throttle settings between 'idle' and 'full' to be useful? Why or why not?

Do you tend to use only 'idle', 'full', and 'boost' settings? Why or why not?

As J311yfish mentioned, I don't really worry about trying to stay in a particular band. The only time when relative speed is important is when tailing an enemy fighter and transits between 100% and 0%+flaps works better than trying to find that perfect throttle setting when your enemy is going to be making frequent changes in speed/direction anyway. Also, any reduction in engine heat through the use of lower speeds doesn't tend to outweigh the lost velocity that those lower speeds bring. It's better to have a high velocity (in most aircraft) with a mostly overheated engine than be at a low velocity with a halfway overheated engine. In the end, you'll just spend the difference getting back to your original speed.

I will say that, to a limited extent, speed control is important when 'herding' bots at the outset of a match. You don't want to be 'leading the pack' and catch the combined firepower of the enemy blob, but you also want to steer enough to work your bots into a cohesive blob instead of having them spread halfway across the map. The game enables this adequately.

Do you think that there are any improvements that could be made to aircraft speeds in general?

No

Omega_Weapon #5 Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostGeorgePatton, on 02 August 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

1. Do you feel that aircraft are fast enough at this point? Why or why not?
    1. Do you find it easy or difficult to maintain a specific airspeed? Why or why not?
    2. Do you find the throttle settings between 'idle' and 'full' to be useful? Why or why not?
    3. Do you tend to use only 'idle', 'full', and 'boost' settings? Why or why not?
  3. Do you think that there are any improvements that could be made to aircraft speeds in general?

​1) I haven't played amongst any jet aircraft yet, but for the most part the speeds of the aircraft feel adequate. Its only an issue when you are low tier in a particularly slow aircraft and you find yourself on a bigger map.

2) Don't pay much attention to specific speeds. I have never had a need to keep my throttle at anything other than maximum or minimum. Normally I want to go as fast as I can, so it stays at maximum. If I want to slow down during a dive or to stay behind a slower opponent I try brakes and flaps first. Only if those are not enough do I mess with my throttle (mostly because in the heat of battle I sometimes forget to throttle back up). Only other time I will reduce throttle is if I need to get my boost back in a hurry.

3) I don't really see how to improve it much. The speed system we have now is simplistic but it works fine. Don't think we need to over complicate it.

Dru83 #6 Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3608 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
  1. Do you feel that aircraft are fast enough at this point? Why or why not? I feel that the aircraft are fast enough. It's kind of hard to describe this one, but it seems like the relative speeds of the aircraft are set fairly well.
  3. Do you find it easy or difficult to maintain a specific airspeed? Why or why not? To maintain a specific airspeed, yes it's hard, but then I don't worry about that much. It is pretty easy to maintain a general airspeed. Just raise or lower the nose a little. Using an attitude indicator helps with this. I use the one with the lines that tells you your degree of climb or dive.  
  4. Do you find the throttle settings between 'idle' and 'full' to be useful? Why or why not? No, I don't find these very useful. Firstly, there's only so many buttons my fingers can hit on the keyboard. Second, there are no penalties for flying around at full throttle, so you might as well go full throttle all the time. If I do find myself going a little too fast and getting ahead of the group, I'll just raise my nose and climb a little.
  5. Do you tend to use only 'idle', 'full', and 'boost' settings? Why or why not? Yes, I don't see any real need for anything other than full throttle or no throttle. There's no penalty for going full throttle all the time. It's not a realistic flight sim where you'd lose fuel going full out all the time. Also, because other people use full throttle all the time, there's no need to risk getting caught at half throttle and then be too busy staying alive to make full use of your plane's engine.
  6. Do you think that there are any improvements that could be made to aircraft speeds in general? I don't see any real need for improvements to aircraft speed. Sure, it'd make the game more realistic. But, the point of the game isn't to be realistic. The point is to have fun shooting your friends down.

GeorgePatton #7 Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:24 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users