Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

DeathLord1969 #1 Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

I am still racking my brain trying to find a cause/solution to this issue.

It's not firewall related.

It doesn't seem to be video card related as I have tried 2 different architecture video cards & both got the error. Yes, both were clean installs using DDU.

Doesn't matter what the "x" is as it could be a game or it could be a browser.

Any ideas and I have been googling this for a long time. But it recently popped up again after a fresh windows install.

GouIdy #2 Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18500 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
System specs? What are the 2 different GPU's you tried?

DeathLord1969 #3 Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 29 July 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

System specs? What are the 2 different GPU's you tried?

DXdiag file attached.

Have tried an HD 7950 Royal King (main) & an HD 6870.

Have also tried different windows user accounts.

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with security.

Attached Files

GouIdy #4 Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18500 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

There is just so many things that can cause that error & most of the time it is winblows related, make sure your .NET framework is up to date & if you are using windows firewall try deactivating it.

Your system is getting up there in age, make sure you are not having an over-heating issue & if you are overclocking anything try going back to stock values.

Check all cable connections, make sure PSU & ram are not starting to fail.

The other thing (long shot) is you may not have the latest bios for your motherboard.

DeathLord1969 #5 Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 29 July 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

There is just so many things that can cause that error & most of the time it is winblows related, make sure your .NET framework is up to date & if you are using windows firewall try deactivating it.

Your system is getting up there in age, make sure you are not having an over-heating issue & if you are overclocking anything try going back to stock values.

Check all cable connections, make sure PSU & ram are not starting to fail.

The other thing (long shot) is you may not have the latest bios for your motherboard.

Net framework might be the only thing I have not tried yet.

It happens with Bitdefender & Windows defender regardless of firewall.

No heat issues. Tried swapping hdmi cables. Memtest only came back with some "bits of error" but nothing in the red. The one bad stick is not installed which causes bsods.

Doubt it has to do with the bios though & it also happens regardless of overclocks.

One thing I can't do is the second vid card slot as for some reason that doesn't work out well.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20570 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
have you tried running in win7 compatibility mode ... old drivers don't like win10 and new drivers for old hardware are hackpatches

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

DeathLord1969 #7 Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 29 July 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

have you tried running in win7 compatibility mode ... old drivers don't like win10 and new drivers for old hardware are hackpatches

On the drivers?

Thing is, it was working fine til I did a few fresh windows installs.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #8 Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles

The first thing you always do with a graphics card issue is do a fresh driver install. Try that first. I checked and the card is supported for windows 10 -  64 bit. The chance of it being windows related is very very slim. 

Edited by The_World_Needs_A_Hero, 30 July 2017 - 01:56 PM.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #9 Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20570 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostDeathLord1969, on 29 July 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

On the drivers?

well, just for the hell of it, a very simple test is install windows7 drivers while running in win7 compatibility mode just for Shz and grins

a great way to test is go back to the last working model and step by step add till you screw it up:unsure:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

FlakValleyExpress #10 Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Captain

• 11981 battles

I would try to go back to basics. Eliminate mods, etc. Have you run the WG checker program to make sure WG is out of the picture. It may reset something in the settings. In addition, it will give you a WGchecker file for tech support.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/770

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

GouIdy #11 Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18500 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 30 July 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

The first thing you always do with a graphics card issue is do a fresh driver install. Try that first. I checked and the card is supported for windows 10 -  64 bit. The chance of it being windows related is very very slim. 

Did you even read the OP's first post? He stated that he did clean installs using the AMD display driver uninstaller for two separate GPU's.

GouIdy #12 Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18500 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDeathLord1969, on 29 July 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Were you using Win 10 when it was working?

DeathLord1969 #13 Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 30 July 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

As stated in my OP, that has been done & with 2 separate and different cards.

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 30 July 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

well, just for the hell of it, a very simple test is install windows7 drivers while running in win7 compatibility mode just for Shz and grins

a great way to test is go back to the last working model and step by step add till you screw it up:unsure:

Run what in compat mode? Keep in mind this is not program specific.

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 30 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

I would try to go back to basics. Eliminate mods, etc. Have you run the WG checker program to make sure WG is out of the picture. It may reset something in the settings. In addition, it will give you a WGchecker file for tech support.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/770

It doesn't matter what game or program is at the time.

View PostGouIdy, on 30 July 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Were you using Win 10 when it was working?

Yep. Been running fine since Win10 came out. I had to do a few new installs the other weekend. Did multiples due to forgetting that ssds need to be the only drive installed during a windows install etc. Also due to getting blue screens & finding out I had one bad stick of ram.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #14 Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20570 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 30 July 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostDeathLord1969, on 30 July 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Run what in compat mode? Keep in mind this is not program specific.

It doesn't matter what game or program is at the time.

Yep. Been running fine since Win10 came out. I had to do a few new installs the other weekend. Did multiples due to forgetting that ssds need to be the only drive installed during a windows install etc. Also due to getting blue screens & finding out I had one bad stick of ram.

I thought "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" would pop up w/ WoWP was initiated...

ahhh... gotcha... nevermind

Doh,

DeathLord1969 #15 Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 30 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

I thought "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" would pop up w/ WoWP was initiated...

ahhh... gotcha... nevermind

Doh,

There's a reason why I never named the app in the error. It's because it doesn't matter what the app is. LOL It's happened with firefox running or Grid2 or wows etc.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #16 Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 30 July 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Did you even read the OP's first post? He stated that he did clean installs using the AMD display driver uninstaller for two separate GPU's.

But that doesn't mean he installed the correct driver. He could have grabbed the wrong driver or grabbed the 32 bit instead of the 64. 

OP...this is what I would do in this order.

1) Make sure you have all of the latest windows updates. Download and install if required.

2) Do one more fresh install of the driver after that. Make sure you have the driver for the specific card AND that its the 64 bit and not the 32 bit. 

3) Reinstall the game.

DeathLord1969 #17 Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 30 July 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

But that doesn't mean he installed the correct driver. He could have grabbed the wrong driver or grabbed the 32 bit instead of the 64. 

OP...this is what I would do in this order.

1) Make sure you have all of the latest windows updates. Download and install if required.

2) Do one more fresh install of the driver after that. Make sure you have the driver for the specific card AND that its the 64 bit and not the 32 bit. 

3) Reinstall the game.

Give me some credit will ya? Since I used DDU aka Display Driver Uninstaller, it should be known that I know what I am doing....

ANYWAYS, windows is set to auto update when one comes in. Yesterday, I switched back to my HD 7950 after another clean using DDU & installed the latest driver as of July 27th.

It's not game or program specific as I stated earlier.

It also has nothing to do with security as it happens with Bitdefender installed or just using Windows defender. AV/Firewalls off, still does it.

Is there a way to prevent windows from updating the video driver only or is it all drivers or nothing?

Edited by DeathLord1969, 30 July 2017 - 05:09 PM.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #18 Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles

View PostDeathLord1969, on 30 July 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Give me some credit will ya? Since I used DDU aka Display Driver Uninstaller, it should be known that I know what I am doing....

ANYWAYS, windows is set to auto update when one comes in. Yesterday, I switched back to my HD 7950 after another clean using DDU & installed the latest driver as of July 27th.

It's not game or program specific as I stated earlier.

It also has nothing to do with security as it happens with Bitdefender installed or just using Windows defender. AV/Firewalls off, still does it.

Don't get defensive. I've grabbed the wrong driver on occasion...most recently when I was installing my old scanner on my new rig. It happens. 

DeathLord1969 #19 Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles
Looking at windows update's history, it was updating the driver. I just now used gpedit to prevent it from updating in the future, I hope. So am going to do another full uninstall & clean install & see how things go......

DeathLord1969 #20 Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1058 battles
One thing I need to add is that when a game is loaded, it continues on as if nothing happened but audio only as the screen is frozen. I can still interact with the game, hear the car slow down or speed up if in Grid2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users