Spitfire Mk Ia TbM Video Guide Review Flight

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Hey everyone, busy day for me today, but I wanted to take advantage of a free afternoon and evening to get the preview of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia out there for you all to see.

The aircraft is exactly what you would expect of her; a premium Spitfire MK I locked into an all machine gun setup with a moderately upgraded engine.  That being said, the tech tree version of the aircraft mimicking this loadout is a very competent dogfighter, and so is the Mk Ia.  On top of her good speed, great anti-fighter guns and excellent turning ability she also boasts a decent boost and comes with a pilot that makes the aircraft an absolute killer in the air.

That's right; the pilot that comes with this Spitfire makes the aircraft inherently better, with a built in boost to her inherent abilities.  The downside is that this ability of this pilot will only ever be effective while he's flying the Spitfire Mk Ia, so this premium can never be used to train other pilots in your barracks if you want to get the best possible performance out of her every single time you take her out.  The good news is that this pilot isn't completely helpless upon arrival.  The other ability he has improves the aircraft's capabilities even further and automatically heals and repairs all damage to modules once the fighter is taken below half health.  He also comes with two free skill points, enough to customize his ability to your own liking.

Between the custom paintjob, the customized pilot and her credit grinding ability I consider the Spitfire Mk Ia to be a must-have, even though she is basically a copy paste of a half upgraded techline Spitfire Mk Ia.

Best of luck acquiring her during the Operation Dynamo event, and if you miss out on her for free, the cost of getting her from the premium shop is well worth it!

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #2 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:13 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles
Does the special skill ever effective on his own plane also?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 July 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

Does the special skill ever effective on his own plane also?

Yes.  It's the *only* plane the super special stat boosting skill will work on.  :trollface:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

pyantoryng #4 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 July 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Yes.  It's the *only* plane the super special stat boosting skill will work on.  :trollface:

Looks like WG has "learned" from Ms. Lityakova and her tendency to turn Winter War into one big BBQ spit.............or perhaps not, because this time is just movie tie-in...:sceptic:

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Quesnel #5 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:31 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12881 battles
Another fantastic video Magus :great:

Kosmonaut_ #6 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

Senior Airman

• 3187 battles
Wait, wait, wait, I'm confused, my reading comprehension must be poor.  Are you saying that if I spend my hard-earned lunch money on this plane/pilot combo, if I then pull that pilot out and stick him in ANY other British plane in the game, those "special skills" will not be active?  Those special skills can ONLY be used in this specific one-off Dunkirk Spitfire?  In any other plane are those skills grey-out or something?  Just not there at all, he just becomes a regular old vanilla 2 skill point pilot in a Demon?  That seems like a massive deal-breaker for those of us (me!) who are vastly more interested in obtaining a unique pilot to help grind some Brit lines than the plane itself. 

pyantoryng #7 Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostKosmonaut_, on 17 July 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

Wait, wait, wait, I'm confused, my reading comprehension must be poor.  Are you saying that if I spend my hard-earned lunch money on this plane/pilot combo, if I then pull that pilot out and stick him in ANY other British plane in the game, those "special skills" will not be active?  Those special skills can ONLY be used in this specific one-off Dunkirk Spitfire?  In any other plane are those skills grey-out or something?  Just not there at all, he just becomes a regular old vanilla 2 skill point pilot in a Demon?  That seems like a massive deal-breaker for those of us (me!) who are vastly more interested in obtaining a unique pilot to help grind some Brit lines than the plane itself. 

I don't think they grey out, they just outright not giving any effect...like using a bombardier pilot on planes with no ordnance load, or using equipment-enhancing skill pilot on planes without the corresponding equipments mounted.

Unique skills can be very powerful (e.g. Russian female pilot being able to burn targets down by shooting it for a quarter of the whole target's damage...which makes it possible for a ShKAS-armed tier 3 fighter to get Thunder without ordnance in the correct maps), so distributing such things would have to be carefully considered. Besides, this is a movie tie-in more than anything else, so it makes sense to keep them in their place...seems like the Arpeggio deal over in Ships to me, outside of being able to go around the nation's hangar but with useless skills...

Just imagine having +10% damage on any Spitfire variants guy riding around on a Spitfire 14...

Edited by pyantoryng, 17 July 2017 - 11:10 AM.

Kosmonaut_ #8 Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Senior Airman

• 3187 battles

Thank you!  That makes sense now that you say it, those skills seem too over powered for regular use.  Still, a shame they won't be getting my money :).  

I wish that I had picked the Russian lady when she was available, now that my ancient computer won't allow me to play anything but slow GAs, but I picked the American girl because she looked kinda like my wife.  That didn't work out too well for me.  And neither did the American pilot girl...

Texthor #9 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 27662 battles
question....how do you get to parts 2 and 3 of Operation Dynamo for allied or axis?   Completed 1 on Saturday.

MagusGerhardt #10 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTexthor, on 17 July 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

question....how do you get to parts 2 and 3 of Operation Dynamo for allied or axis?   Completed 1 on Saturday.

They are timed releases, Tex.  So, the other parts will become available in the coming days.

I bought the planes outright because I know I would not have the free time to earn them.

lurpmaster #11 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Senior Airman

• 171 battles
:facepalm: good luck getting the planes hope you don't get bounced fr the server to many times to earn them.

Texthor #12 Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 27662 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 17 July 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

They are timed releases, Tex.  So, the other parts will become available in the coming days.

I bought the planes outright because I know I would not have the free time to earn them.

thank you.....

Bubba_Zanetti #13 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28336 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTexthor, on 17 July 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

thank you.....

http://worldofwarplanes.com/news/dynamic-missions/

Part 1:  July 14-24

Part 2:  July 24-Aug 2

Part 3:  Aug 2-10

Operation Dynamo: Part 

pyantoryng #14 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles
Fun fact: They are not tier-restricted.

Dave12w #15 Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 20978 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Nice Video thanks, I'm away from home for a month so had

to buy them also, it's good to see it in action, the plane looks

very powerful with the ability to stack the manuvouribility so much,

an increase in the unique still of 10% is significant considering 

lightweight airframe increases it by 3% so it has a 3.3 times

effect plus it can be stacked.  I'm looking forward to see how it

turns against the zero and Russian fighters.

Balaise #16 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4324 battles

I was planning to retrain Spitfire 1a pilot for Beaufighter. (and maybe for Heavy Brits line).

I dont mind if I miss only the special "Master" skill.

"Final Dash" skill will be enough if this one remain active.

But I will be able to use "Retrained pilot" on my Spitfire 1a (like any premium plane). Right?

Edited by Balaise, 17 July 2017 - 06:58 PM.

pyantoryng #17 Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12044 battles

View PostBalaise, on 17 July 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

I was planning to retrain Spitfire 1a pilot for Beaufighter. (and maybe for Heavy Brits line).

I dont mind if I miss only the special "Master" skill.

"Final Dash" skill will be enough if this one remain active.

But I will be able to use "Retrained pilot" on my Spitfire 1a (like any premium plane). Right?

Interesting...it doesn't say anywhere about the special (which is a beefed-up repair-all-when-heavily-damaged) not working outside of Spitfire Ia...

How about other premium for a start?

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users