Tier VII?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Whistling_Death_ #1 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

Senior Airman

• 9 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

I'm interested in the tier VII FW-190 A-8 that is on sale for $20.99.  However, is there anyone playing at tier VII right now?  I don't want to purchase this plane and then wait in queue forever for a battle that will never occur because no one is playing at tier VII.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bobby_Tables #2 Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Grind your way to the FW 190A-5, a far superior plane IMHO.  There are plenty of players in T7/T8 (If I recall, I have not played much recently) but with the number of battles you have, don't pull the real money trigger.  

You will find that T5+ is much more difficult than lower tiers.  Work you way up.  This game is not a "pay to win" type of game.  Higher tier planes do not equal more success, it's actually the inverse until you learn more.  

Best way to learn is by grinding.  My opinion.  

[Edit]  Just looked at your stats.  Earn your way to the higher tiers and consider grinding T2/T3 for some experience before you even remotely consider the higher tiers.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 15 July 2017 - 12:00 AM.

Dru83 #3 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Bobby is right on the money as usual. There are plenty of people playing tier 7, but many of them only play in the evening in US time. It is not a good idea to use premium aircraft to jump into the higher tiers. It takes time to learn the game and higher tiers can be frustrating at first. Also, the FW-190 is a boom and zoom fighter. If you're used to maneuvering and quick turns, this is not the plane for you.

Balaise #4 Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 196 battles

For now, you may want to stick with low tier just for the Dunkirk mission. First two parts are best at low tier.

By the time of the third part you should have a good grasp on the game.

Maybe you may want to consider a higher tier premium plane for the third part (30k xp is easier at higher tiers)

I dont have FW-190 A-8 but it doesnt seem to be a good plane. 

ScorchTrials_ #5 Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostWhistling_Death_, on 14 July 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'm interested in the tier VII FW-190 A-8 that is on sale for $20.99.  However, is there anyone playing at tier VII right now?  I don't want to purchase this plane and then wait in queue forever for a battle that will never occur because no one is playing at tier VII.

Any advice is appreciated.

In my opinion, I don't like the Focke Wulfs. They are slow and unmaneuverable compared to the fighters in its tier. A fast, high flying fighter can take it out easily. 

Plus, it is not a noob-friendly plane.

ScorchTrials_.png

Dsembr_Rein #6 Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 107 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostScorchTrials_, on 15 July 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

In my opinion, I don't like the Focke Wulfs. They are slow and unmaneuverable compared to the fighters in its tier. A fast, high flying fighter can take it out easily. 

Plus, it is not a noob-friendly plane.

I don't hate the FW line, but they are tough to fly alone, especially if you don't have a lot of experience.

I recommend what everyone else has already, try working up the FW line if you want to know how they fly before you buy a premium one. There will be sales again, don't worry about missing this one.

Whistling_Death_ #7 Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 9 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

Okay, so there are tier VII competitors. Thanks everyone!  Good to know. :)  "Moo ha haaaa!"

When WWII started for the U.S. on Dec. 7, 1941, my mother had just earned her private pilots license and back in those days that was absolutely unheard of for a woman. That was not considered, "Lady like".  Everyone wanted to contribute to the winning the war and my mother landed a job with the U.S. Army Air Corps as a flight instructor.  So she taught many of our bomber and fighter pilots how to fly.  She taught me to fly too.  My mom was a great lady and I was always so proud of her, as I always will be.

Back in the early 2000's, I was the #1 rated, "pilot", in the world in Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator using my wonderful FW-190 and its high speed boom and zoom tactics.  This is where my screen name came from, so anyone that flew in M.C.F.S., I was the WhistlingDeath that flamed you with my FW-190.  "Moo ha haaaa!". :)  So holding my own in ability to fly, isn't so much an issue as is just trying to get a handle on this game is.  I am finding that the planes in this game that are capable of high speed boom and zoom tactics, when it comes to turning they are less than stellar and the smaller maps restrict using boom and zoom tactics as by the time you have zoomed away from the pursuing enemy plane and trying to turn around while maintaining speed, you've run out of map, (especially with the auto-pilot taking over, turning you right back into the plane that is on your tail!), while the not quite as fast fighter that is on your tail and is able to catch you from behind while you try to turn your flying barn door around to face them, losing a lot of speed doing so.  This negates the boom and zoom tactic and makes your boom and zoom tactic plane an easy kill.  This is very frustrating.

It also seems like the ground attack planes have very little impact on the outcome of the battle.  I have rarely witnessed ground attack planes winning a battle by blowing up ground targets.  So what's the point?  It always seems to be a situation where the fighters duke it out and whichever team wins that, then hunts down the ground attack planes, shoots them down and the battle is over.  This seems a bit boring for anyone flying ground attack planes.  So what's the point of the ground attack planes if they can't meaningfully contribute to the outcome of the battle?  Why bother with them?

I have also noticed that while flying a ground attack plane, you never get anyone on your team to fly cover.  Ever.  You're just out on your own vs. enemy fighter planes, which is a total mismatch.  With ground attack planes having such a huge disadvantage vs. enemy fighter planes, why should the minimap show the enemy where you are attacking ground targets, by having that ground target blink on the enemy minimap as you attack it?  This hardly seems fair.  It's like a big sign waving, "Here I am! Come get me!".  :angry:  Aren't ground attack planes already hampered enough?

With pilot experience differences, with two otherwise identical planes, the plane that has a significantly better and more advanced pilot experience can usually fly circles around and dominate the enemy plane, even though the two planes are supposed to be identical.  With air combat in this game, I find that to be a significant and unfair advantage.  In Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, an FW-190 was an FW-190 and the better skilled, "pilot", won, not the pilot that just had more battles with a more experienced and thus superior pilot/plane.   With World of Tanks, this is not that big a deal as your tank has armor, or rocks and buildings to use for cover to make up for lack of crew experience vs. other tanks until your crew training is at least adequate.  However in the sky, there are no rocks and buildings to take cover.  For a fighter, there is precious little armor.  Whichever plane fly's better because of a more experienced pilot has a tremendous and decided advantage.  This doesn't seem very fair.  Add in a plane that has been completely researched  and upgraded vs. a plane that is not and the outcome can become extremely lopsided.  This game seems to need quite a bit of work.

Thoughts?

Edited by Whistling_Death_, 15 July 2017 - 06:44 AM.

Psicko23 #8 Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
With less than 500 battles and your record, I'd suggest not getting the t7. I personally like the fw's in game with the exception of the t5 after they nerfed it. T4(and t5) is where the different lines start to become distinct. Get some time in T4-6 and learn how different planes fly so you can learn the strengths and weaknesses of each plane you fly and fly against. Yes, there are pilots flying in higher tiers, but most of them have been around for awhile. If you don't know what you are doing in higher tiers you will get smashed hard. 

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The Fw 190s are particularly hard to fly solo in now because of the recent critical damage nerf. Basically if your not mounting armor equipment they increased the chance for basically every part of your plane to be critically hit.

One battle, three different parts of my plane were critically damaged twice.

In another instance, I was damaged critically three times in 5 seconds and only lost 20 hitpoints.

Improved damage model my afterburner.

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 15 July 2017 - 02:10 PM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

pyantoryng #10 Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

There are people playing at every tier...just expect many of them to be 1v1 with 9 bots on each side.

You seem to be expecting a simulator...except that it is totally not. BnZ is king around these parts (AKA stall all bots to death then kill leftovers), just need adjustment to the compressed space, and that's the reason why jets aren't allowed on low tier maps like Harbor or El Halluf...there's just about no space for speeding at that kind of speed. Speaking of small maps...the high tier maps do get a lot larger to accommodate the jets.

As for the GAs...underestimate them at your own peril. There are players that take their GAs out just to shoot other GAs then other planes...also GAs can be critical under certain situations, one in particular is when your bots fall for the stalling trap.

The pilot skills give a lot less impact than you give credit for. Outside of Rocket skill stacked with ordnance sight and one of the new BV planes up at T8+ slinging R4Ms and some female pilot uniques (the latter are somewhat rare so they are pretty much non-factor) they don't have that much impact. Battles are still for almost all parts decided on player skill and capitalizing on opportunities and enemy mistakes. Some wrong flying can make a wrong matchup take the wrong turn...like how a Bf 109K (G with upgraded airframe) with 75% pilot defeating an La-9RD in a low-altitude turnfight (where Bf 109s are at their worst).

Bottom line, World of Warplanes has long crossed into the fairytale lands that a lot of things no longer make sense, yet some things still do but need adjustment to the nonsensical world. Leave behind the expectations of a simulator and learn its ways and you would do just fine.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users