• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Bubba_Zanetti #21 Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 29232 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGouIdy, on 10 July 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

Ok now that all the experts have chimed in can we get the poor guy back on track.

#1   He is retired & maybe doesn't have the disposable income for a mid-top of the line build.

#2   He said WOWP is the only game he plays.

Well then, if his mobo can handle it, blow the whole wad on a gtx 1070 card and he should see huge fps improvements.  Load times/general system speed will remain same.

1060 even.  Not sure about 1050, but his card is 6.5 years old...

edit:  clued in he said computer died.  Without details, have no clue if just his power supply went, the mobo is fried, what the shop is quoting him parts wise, what still works, etc.  I stand by that the video card is the biggest contributor for gaming and one of the most expensive parts.  Don't cheap out on that component.

Edited by Bubba_Zanetti, 10 July 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Donby #22 Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

Senior Airman

• 496 battles

corsair vs650 psu

amd fx6300 am3+ processor

asrock960gm/ u3s3 fx motherboard

2x4 1600 ddr3 ram

ssd drive 120 gig main drive

wd 500 gb hard drive

gigabyte GeForce gtx 750 ti 4gig graphics card

EQUALS  $638 Canadian

did a quick look for you,these are all new,admittedly on UK WEBSITES ,because that's where I live

this will give you a basic gaming pc on a budget

you can go cheaper,going second hand,especially with the graphics card,i use a ati 6850 2 gig,get around 60+ on med settings on a 1080 screen

I have omitted the case,but hopefully you could reuse the old one,the motherboard is a mini one!

you will also need fans for cooling processor and the case,also a new operating software.

hope this gives you an idea,its only an example,ive only built one pc myself,so im no expert.

however if I can do it anyone can,youtube is very useful!

gl mate cheers

Bobby_Tables #23 Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 24126 battles

So.... here is my $.02.  I went onto Newegg Canada and Amazon Canada and I was amazed at how much more it is in CA dollars.  If this is the only game you play and you want to update your system, here's some of the major components that you will likely need.  Echoing other comments on the case, fans, etc.  I am assuming you would just use your old case and hopefully it has a fan or two already installed.  If not, you can pick up fans for cheap, just make sure the reviews say they are quiet:

Processor:        Intel Pentium G4560     $109.32 CA

Motherboard:    MSI B250 PCMATE       $137.00 CA

Memory:      Corsair 8GB DDR4 DRam C15 Memory Kit:  $94.99 CA

Graphics Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Gaming 2GB DDR5:  $139.99 CA

Power Supply:  EVGA 450BT 80+ Bronze 450W:  $54.48 CA  

Now, you could actually try to get by without the graphics card and use the built-in Intel Graphics.  The game might be playable at SD and medium to low settings, but I would doubt that.  

So overall, you can get all the components you need to play this game and then some for around $550 CA.  

This is just to give you an idea but by no means do you need to rock out a $1,500 gaming computer for just this game.  

MARS_REVENANT #24 Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Major

• 34273 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostBobby_Tables, on 10 July 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

So.... here is my $.02.  I went onto Newegg Canada and Amazon Canada and I was amazed at how much more it is in CA dollars.  If this is the only game you play and you want to update your system, here's some of the major components that you will likely need.  Echoing other comments on the case, fans, etc.  I am assuming you would just use your old case and hopefully it has a fan or two already installed.  If not, you can pick up fans for cheap, just make sure the reviews say they are quiet:

Processor:        Intel Pentium G4560     $109.32 CA

Motherboard:    MSI B250 PCMATE       $137.00 CA

Memory:      Corsair 8GB DDR4 DRam C15 Memory Kit:  $94.99 CA

Graphics Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Gaming 2GB DDR5:  $139.99 CA

Power Supply:  EVGA 450BT 80+ Bronze 450W:  $54.48 CA  

Now, you could actually try to get by without the graphics card and use the built-in Intel Graphics.  The game might be playable at SD and medium to low settings, but I would doubt that.  

So overall, you can get all the components you need to play this game and then some for around $550 CA.  

This is just to give you an idea but by no means do you need to rock out a $1,500 gaming computer for just this game.  

I'd add at least 1 HDD. and go with a 1060 video card which is great performance for the cost.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Noreaga #25 Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

i would stay away from AM3+

I have a little bit a of a clunker and the AM3 socket is a bit of a bottle neck for me. The new AMD socket looks like it will be able to keep up with intel, but havent read any articles on it yet. I was like you and had an 8 year old video card, a 400$ purchase of a mid high range card and a small SDD made a huge difference to my game.

I have squeezed all i can out of my CPU and Board, been frankensteining this thing for 10 years. I find a motherboard and CPU change makes it worthwhile to swithc out the ram/HDD/PSU at the same time. 

depending on what you decide, it might be worth you time checking out this site:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

EDIT: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/tXNnTW/entry-level-gaming-build

i normally keep my eyes on the parts i want and pick them up on sale 

I like NCIX because they come really quick and no provincial tax (here in QC at least).

http://www.ncix.com/

some of their full units that could give you an idea:

http://www.ncix.com/article/NCIX-PC.htm#start?CFID=191051&CFTOKEN=64DD31A2-E5D0-4874-ABC2C512D875D202

tigerdirect usually lower quality but sometimes you can find great prices (deal crasher is really cheap sometime)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca

Finally the standard for our US brothers but not that cheap for us 

http://newegg.ca

good luck!!

Edited by Noreaga, 10 July 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

Cowboyhiho #26 Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 21930 battles

First off, I wish to thank you all for the education. Some of the discussion requires me use google translate, lol. Seriously, I appreciate your efforts.

So to update and clarify. The cpu has had now had an ethernet failure, on top of other issues. It is at the shop now and I am awaiting diagnostic results.  The shop has in the past, kept me in the air, at minimum cost. He had warned me that it was close to end of days, I assumed he was talking about the computer, not the world. When he gets ahold of me I will discuss my options.  I will post here the suggested solution. I am unlikely to build my own system.

To clarify I play WoWP exclusively, and use email, photo storage, and a little else.

I would like to keep the price under $1000cnd, however if spending 2 or 3 hundred more for something twice as "good" or long lasting, I would consider. Over 1G would involve a joint decision wife partner.

Thanks again, til later.

hiho

Edited by Cowboyhiho, 10 July 2017 - 08:54 PM.

Donby #27 Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Senior Airman

• 496 battles

View PostCowboyhiho, on 10 July 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

First off, I wish to thank you all for the education. Some of the discussion requires me use google translate, lol. Seriously, I appreciate your efforts.

So to update and clarify. The cpu has had now had an ethernet failure, on top of other issues. It is at the shop now and I am awaiting diagnostic results.  The shop has in the past, kept me in the air, at minimum cost. He had warned me that it was close to end of days, I assumed he was talking about the computer, not the world. When he gets ahold of me I will discuss my options.  I will post here the suggested solution. I am unlikely to build my own system.

To clarify I play WoWP exclusively, and use email, photo storage, and a little else.

I would like to keep the price under $1000cnd, however if spending 2 or 3 hundred more for something twice as "good" or long lasting, I would consider.

Thanks again, til later.

hiho

your very welcome ,the pc noreaga recommends seems to be an excellent choice,please don't spend a £1000 on a pc,just to play wowp,save the money and treat yourself on something else,cheers.

Edited by Donby, 10 July 2017 - 08:56 PM.

Donby #28 Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

Senior Airman

• 496 battles
sorry $1000

Cowboyhiho #29 Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 21930 battles
Sorry I forgot to mention, I am addicted to WoWP.  Even my wife agrees!

Bubba_Zanetti #30 Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 29232 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCowboyhiho, on 10 July 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

I would like to keep the price under $1000cnd, however if spending 2 or 3 hundred more for something twice as "good" or long lasting, I would consider. Over 1G would involve a joint decision wife partner.

Thanks again, til later.

hiho

Since you have a relationship with the shop, and assuming they may have some demo machines in-store, maybe ask if they can install wowp on a machine or two of varying expense and you can judge for yourself what you get for your $?

Noreaga #31 Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 10 July 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Since you have a relationship with the shop, and assuming they may have some demo machines in-store, maybe ask if they can install wowp on a machine or two of varying expense and you can judge for yourself what you get for your $?

that's the best idea yet! 

Nimis obnoxii curare

J311yfish #32 Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17870 battles
  • [343] 343

View PostCowboyhiho, on 09 July 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

:honoring:Today I find out if I'm addicted to WoWP, or just habituated.  Using an older box from last decade, since the kids, were, well the kids.  I have upgraded a few times and now it is:

Intel i5 650 at 3.20GHz

6GB ram

AMD Radeon HD 6800

ST1000DM003-1SB102 ATA device (new in last few months)

I had your exact same CPU and RAM (purchased ~2010), like you I was on a tight budget, and this is what I did 18-24 months ago:

-- $100 -- Crucial 250GB SSD -- move the operating system and game to this for faster boot/load times.

-- $100 -- Gigabyte RX 460 -- upgrade from Radeon HD 6770.

You did not mention the monitor size/resolution that you are using, but that is something to consider.  The above worked fine for me with a dual-monitor setup, 20" 1600x900 and 19" 1440x900 (game on the 20", browser on 19").  You also did not mention the power supply that you are using.  I was using a 550W power supply with the above and that still gave me some room to work with (optical drive, 2 hard drives, USB's).  These were the best budget (incremental) upgrades at the time.  If I were in the same position today, I think I would just save the $200 and put it towards a more modern machine.

I am still using the i5-650, now with an RX 480 at 2560x1080 (21:9), and performance for the game itself is fine, as long as I don't try to run other demanding programs.  I have a laptop as 2nd screen for browsing/music.  I have been holding out to see what AMD Ryzen might have to offer, and now that the hype has died down, I am just watching to see how AMD and Intel compete. There really is not a compelling reason to spend for a massive upgrade for the few games that I play, WoWP included, even though the massive leap is tempting.

Tech Report system guides are a great resource -- they tend to update every few months.  If you see what is out there you might just consider saving your money for a massive upgrade.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN  /  United Kingdom  /  Sweden  /  Finland (skins/  Italy  /  France  /  Poland  /  China  /  Brazil  /  United States  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal  /  Great Wall of China  /  Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Chuck_norris10 #33 Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22577 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostCowboyhiho, on 10 July 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Sorry I forgot to mention, I am addicted to WoWP.  Even my wife agrees!

Your on the island? I'm in Alberta and had discovery computers in Lethbridge build mine and I see they have a shop in in Nanaimo and Victoria so maybe surf or visit one of their places.They have a very good business ethic and I have never had a problem with them and they can quote you a price on a machine that will play world of warplanes if you tell them that's what you want to play..Well worth the price if it is $1500.00 for a game that will play in high graphics with no glitches.They have some builds on their websites to give you an idea of what the price is like in your area and you have 20,000 games and are retired so may as well invest in a computer that will give you that enjoyment for at least 5 years.

http://www.discoverycomputers.com/

Cowboyhiho #34 Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 21930 battles

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 10 July 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Thanks that's a good idea, the fellow I deal with is a gamer and we have a good relationship. He knows the game and that I am addicted to it.

View PostChuck_norris10, on 10 July 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Your on the island? I'm in Alberta and had discovery computers in Lethbridge build mine and I see they have a shop in in Nanaimo and Victoria so maybe surf or visit one of their places.They have a very good business ethic and I have never had a problem with them and they can quote you a price on a machine that will play world of warplanes if you tell them that's what you want to play..Well worth the price if it is $1500.00 for a game that will play in high graphics with no glitches.They have some builds on their websites to give you an idea of what the price is like in your area and you have 20,000 games and are retired so may as well invest in a computer that will give you that enjoyment for at least 5 years.

http://www.discoverycomputers.com/

Thanks, yes I live on the island. I will take your recommendation if my local store disappoints.

hiho all

Chuck_norris10 #35 Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22577 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostCowboyhiho, on 10 July 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

Thanks that's a good idea, the fellow I deal with is a gamer and we have a good relationship. He knows the game and that I am addicted to it.

Thanks, yes I live on the island. I will take your recommendation if my local store disappoints.

hiho all

When I told them to build me a system for WOWP they said they were tankers....it will play planes. heh!

Praying for rain for the folks inland bud.I have a lot of friends on the firelines and it's not pretty.

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 11 July 2017 - 12:28 AM.

Weapon_of_Proliferation #36 Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 7654 battles
  • [S_S_G] S_S_G

I've built quite a few machines. At this current time, there is really only one choice for a cpu. AMD's Ryzen is set to be a CPU for the long haul. But first you will need a board:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157774&cm_re=x370-_-13-157-774-_-Product - Modern onboard sound, Intel NIC.

6 core Ryzen

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435

Ryzen specific memory

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

These three will form the base for a computer that will give good performance for years, and also be up-gradable in the future with Ryzen+ chips. Don't go too cheap on the ram for this platform, hence I linked the fastest ram set available for this system. It's worth it because of how closely ryzen's performance is linked with ram speeds.

Right now, Intel's I7 holds a niche for those who want to run lower resolution panels at ultra refresh rates, ie: 1080@144hz. If this is not your goal, then the Ryzen is the better choice all around.

Now, when it comes to graphics cards, it becomes more hazy as the cryptominers have driven up the cost of video cards, and you really need a video card to make any gaming system.

But for now, I would order these parts ASAP and get the basic build happening while you decide what budget is left for a videocard. Even a used HD7950/7970 would be a great upgrade and be only ~$100

I mention used for two reasons: Cryptominers pushing new cards past the MSRP, and the fact you are somewhat on a budget.

For now, I am going to leave video card for another discussion, because choosing one right now is kind of complex.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #37 Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7704 battles

View PostWeapon_of_Proliferation, on 11 July 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

I've built quite a few machines. At this current time, there is really only one choice for a cpu. AMD's Ryzen is set to be a CPU for the long haul. But first you will need a board:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157774&cm_re=x370-_-13-157-774-_-Product - Modern onboard sound, Intel NIC.

6 core Ryzen

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113435

Ryzen specific memory

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

These three will form the base for a computer that will give good performance for years, and also be up-gradable in the future with Ryzen+ chips. Don't go too cheap on the ram for this platform, hence I linked the fastest ram set available for this system. It's worth it because of how closely ryzen's performance is linked with ram speeds.

Right now, Intel's I7 holds a niche for those who want to run lower resolution panels at ultra refresh rates, ie: 1080@144hz. If this is not your goal, then the Ryzen is the better choice all around.

Now, when it comes to graphics cards, it becomes more hazy as the cryptominers have driven up the cost of video cards, and you really need a video card to make any gaming system.

But for now, I would order these parts ASAP and get the basic build happening while you decide what budget is left for a videocard. Even a used HD7950/7970 would be a great upgrade and be only ~$100

I mention used for two reasons: Cryptominers pushing new cards past the MSRP, and the fact you are somewhat on a budget.

For now, I am going to leave video card for another discussion, because choosing one right now is kind of complex.

For the OP, its not going to matter what he's using, since he's not running demanding games. So, that might be the better choice since the chips are cheaper. But, I'd never go AMD. They just always seem to be one step or 2 behind intel. When you are gaming, and CPU clock is king, AMD just doesn't touch intel. I'm running an i7 7700k with no OC and I'm clocking at 4.5 ghz on stock bios settings.  A lot of the guys out there can't even OC Ryzen to 4 ghz. I could easily run my i7 completely stable at 4.8 ghz and possibly 5 ghz since I got one of the better chips in the silicon lottery. Good luck with Ryzen ever hitting that. 

GhostPrime #38 Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1654 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

As long as the PC meets the minimum requirements (recommended is better) For the game you should be ok with either CPU. 

System reqs:

http://worldofwarplanes.com/game/download/

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #39 Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20753 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on 11 July 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

For the OP, its not going to matter what he's using, since he's not running demanding games. So, that might be the better choice since the chips are cheaper. But, I'd never go AMD. They just always seem to be one step or 2 behind intel. When you are gaming, and CPU clock is king, AMD just doesn't touch intel. I'm running an i7 7700k with no OC and I'm clocking at 4.5 ghz on stock bios settings.  A lot of the guys out there can't even OC Ryzen to 4 ghz. I could easily run my i7 completely stable at 4.8 ghz and possibly 5 ghz since I got one of the better chips in the silicon lottery. Good luck with Ryzen ever hitting that. 

View PostCowboyhiho, on 09 July 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

:honoring:Today I find out if I'm addicted to WoWP, or just habituated.  Using an older box from last decade, since the kids, were, well the kids.  I have upgraded a few times and now it is:

Intel i5 650 at 3.20GHz

6GB ram

AMD Radeon HD 6800

ST1000DM003-1SB102 ATA device (new in last few months)

The local independent in my small town says he can upgrade the system using the better pieces for $600-800 Canadian.

Retired so money is a concern. This is the only game that I play to any extent. Could this be a good option, or is time to retire this unit?

Thanks to those who comment, I will tell you if it's a habit or an addiction soon.  hiho

To Cowboyhiho (OP),

never listen to a fanboy, AMD or Intel... each has it's own market and at times one dominates the other for those of us with limited funds. Drew/Hero owns, like... 10 successful companies... and likely has unlimited funds when he's not dating Supermodels... we are out of his league. 

There is a lot of good advice here and if you want IM me and I will give you my 2 cents... Hiho bro!

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

MARS_REVENANT #40 Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Major

• 34273 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostGhostPrime, on 11 July 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

As long as the PC meets the minimum requirements (recommended is better) For the game you should be ok with either CPU. 

System reqs:

http://worldofwarplanes.com/game/download/

My system exceeds even the recommended hardware, yet the FPS drop below minimum acceptable levels.  The game is not optimized at all, it wont run smooth using high or very high graphics on a base model machine.  As a comparative, WarThunder using Very High graphics, I run between 60 - 90FPS.

The minimum or even recommended system requirements are either wrong, or the game needs to be optimized.  My sense is the latter.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users