Hs-123

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jyarbro28 #1 Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

Master Sergeant

• 12036 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

I can't seem to figure this plane out. It's a ga, handles well for a t2 ga, but with its awesome 2 light mg, it can't hit ground targets. So maybe a real hvy fighter, but it can't turn with anything but ga, and with no tailgunner its just basically worthless. I fly it and hope to figure it out, but on dailies its a matter of hoping someone will carry me.

Please, if anyone has this one figured out, let us all know.

Dru83 #2 Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• 5115 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I love the HS 123. The mgs aren't as bad as you think, especially against tier 2 ground targets (weaker than when you have tier 3 planes flying with you). It helps a lot to cut throttle and use flaps to slow down to give yourself more time to shoot the ground targets. Save your bombs for the bigger targets. Don't use them on little 4 point targets. Also, save bombs to use to reset the supremacy timer. It's ok to leave a ground target with a couple squares left. You can come back to them and pop a few in a row with the mgs to quickly reset the supremacy timer. It's way better to fly to another target close by than to quickly turn around an finish off a target. All that turning costs speed and gets you frustrated, just whittle down a bunch of targets and then come back down the line and finish them all off at once.

Against planes, the Hs-123 can turn a lot better when you are using the rudder and flaps. What helps me a lot when I have someone on my tail is doing the scissors maneuver. Using that alternating series of turns while having the throttle cut and the flaps on will force enemies to overshoot and then you can get on their tail. Also, I typically save 1 bomb until I know most of the enemy team is dead, just in case. More people are becoming aware of bomb kills, but at tier 2, it's still fairly easy to sucker an enemy in close and then drop a bomb in front of them. Sometimes you can even get a 2-for-1 special, kill a ground target and a plane with one bomb.

It's very important to watch the supremacy timer carefully, so you can destroy ground targets to reset the timer. Also, sometimes it is prudent to attack planes too since they reset the timer more. If you're team is starting to get beat up, instead of trying to get thunder, close in on the enemy planes and help your team out.

The Hs-123 is so fun. I get destroyer or thunder often with it. I've even gotten destroyer, ace, and thunder all in the same mission with it a couple times.

gerr22 #3 Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14878 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
i also use it for destroyer medal easy with this little plane i can t see how you say it don t turn  i have no problems with it

_Warchylde_ #4 Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I don't own one one, but Dru's advice pertains to all GAs.

Don't give up on it. I know from flying against them, just how tricksy they can be.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Jyarbro28 #5 Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• 12036 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
ok, I've owned this since it was a give away ...last year...? and wasn't impressed, I also will hereby now confess, I forgot to put the bombs on it.....Well, as you can guess, it's way more effective now. I am humbled and feel more than slightly ignorant. Thank you all for reminding me to check such things.

_Warchylde_ #6 Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:15 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostJyarbro28, on 09 July 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I also will hereby now confess, I forgot to put the bombs on it.....

:ohmy::facepalm:

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Dru83 #7 Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

Master Sergeant

• 5115 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
I might add that I refined my GA skills by watching Warchylde's videos with the Bsh-1, if you haven't seen them, they're full of good advice.

_Warchylde_ #8 Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Just in case you missed them before......

Edited by _Warchylde_, 10 July 2017 - 04:29 PM.

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users