Happy 150th Canada!!! Spitfire Mk XIV, 403 "Wolf" Sqn RCAF

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles

Spitfire Mk XIVe TB 752 "Val", 403 Sqn "Wolf Squadron" Royal Canadian Air Force, Squadron Leader Henry "Hank" Zary, Belgium, May 1945

Replaces the default Summer skin.

Little is known of the background of Squadron Leader Zary other than that he was an American by birth being born in New York and inevitably was known as "Hank". He was an Associate Professor at New York University before joining the RCAF early in the war and was posted to the United Kingdom in 1943. On July 9th 1943 he damaged a Bf 109, obtaining several victories after this, as a result he became an "Ace" by virtue of having destroyed in excess of 5 enemy aircraft. He was posted to 421 (RCAF) Squadron in the summer of 1944 as a Flight Commander destroying a Bf 109 on the June 28th. In September he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross following an action on the July 25th when Zary destroyed no less than 3 Me 109s on an armed reconnaissance mission in the Pont L'Eveque - Seine area.

On the April 21st 1945, on his first flight with TB 752 Zary destroyed another Bf 109 bringing his total to seven confirmed victories. A Me 262 jet fighter fell to his guns on the April 25th along with a JU 88 earlier in day, these two aircraft would be his final claims of the war. Henry "Hank" Zary passed away in Ottawa in early 1946.

<<<403 "Wolf" Squadron>>>

No. 403 (Fighter) Squadron RCAF was formed at RAF Station Baginton (now Coventry Airport), Warwickshire, England, on March 1st 1941. The first squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) formed overseas under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP), it was identified by the letters KH. Initially equipped with the Curtiss Tomahawk I, they were replaced with the Supermarine Spitfire after only 29 operational sorties. Through continual replacement and updating, the squadron flew various models, Mk I through Mk XVI, of this very popular aircraft.

While flying a Spitfire Mk IX in 1943 that ace George "Screwball" Beurling scored his 30th air victory while flying with the squadron.

The squadron served in RAF Fighter Command and Second Tactical Air Force for over four years. The squadron was awarded seven battle honours for its wartime service: Defence of Britain 1941–1944, English Channel and North Sea 1942, Fortress Europe 1941–1944, Dieppe 1944, Normandy 1944, Rhine 1944, France and Germany 1944–1945.

By May 1945, the squadron had a record of 123 enemy aircraft destroyed, with a share in seven more, 10 probably destroyed, and 72 damaged with a share in one more. Ground targets destroyed or damaged included 30 tanks, 50 locomotives, and nearly 100 other vehicles. Sixteen Distinguished Flying Crosses (DFC), four DFC with Bar, and one Military Medal were awarded to members of the Squadron, in addition to a number of Mentions in Dispatch.

The "Wolf" Squadron and many other units paid a high price in lives and aircraft. Eighty-five aircraft were destroyed. 76 pilots were reported missing; of these, four were killed, 39 presumed dead, with 21 captured and held as POWs.

Today 403 "City of Calgary" (Helicopter) Operational Training Squadron is located at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown. It is equipped with CH-146 Griffons and provides operational aircrew training to the crews who will fly the helicopter. The squadron also conducts operational test and evaluation, develops aviation tactics and carries out operations in support of the 1 Wing mission as well as supporting the local Army requirements of the Combat Training Center.

<<<NOTE>>>

This is a Custom skin with all markings painted on, and requires the files to remove the UK markings found at HERE. It replaces the default Summer skin. There is no option to use the default national markings as they are located too far back on the fuselage and make placement of the aircraft markings impossible.

You can download it at 403_Zary.zip

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Very nice skin, and thanks for accommodating the request!

I'll be flying many of your Canadian skins tomorrow during a special Canada Day live Twitch stream.

Thanks again!

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Chuck_norris10 #3 Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
  • [300SP] 300SP

One little two little three Canadians!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users