A School For The New Pilots

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Raider_Bane #1 Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:17 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [E_R] E_R

When 2.0 hits, there will probably be a swell of returning vets, and hopefully, an influx of new pilots.  If WarGaming advertises and 2.0 is even a slight bit of a hit, there may be a good number of new pilots.  To my knowledge, there is no clan that has an actual effective dedicated school for these "seals" to train them in how to better enjoy this game. If an interest was taken to teach new pilots how to actually be effective in battle, I feel more would stay because the learning curve would be shortened by thousands of battles.  Seals would quickly become seal clubbers before tier 4 planes would even be researched, with proper training.

I am looking for a clan that would be interested in developing a low tier flight training school dedicated to teaching new pilots techniques not usually learned till several thousands of battles have been fought.  I am not only looking for a clan interested in this, but also instructors who would dedicate time to actual  training sessions and posting to a training site proper techniques. (The site has already been created with a number of posts.)  If no clan would take up this gauntlet, then I am interested in a new clan dedicated to training new pilots who would either stay in the training clan, or move on to another clan with certificates in hand awarded for abilities taught and performed.

What say you? Any interest?

Psicko23 #2 Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I know that team special forces used to have a training system for new pilots. Not sure if they still do though.

WafflesOfWrath #3 Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 598 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
There's already a lot of training material on Youtube. Just post all those links in a thread, no need to make an entire clan.

Most of the current clans will take on anyone regardless of skill, save for SICK (60%) and DRACS, so it's not like there's a lack of places to go for help

hawkeyededic #4 Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles

View PostWafflesOfWrath, on 26 June 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

There's already a lot of training material on Youtube. Just post all those links in a thread, no need to make an entire clan.

Most of the current clans will take on anyone regardless of skill, save for SICK (60%) and DRACS, so it's not like there's a lack of places to go for help

A lot of that old information may/will be out dated when 2,0 hits though.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

pyantoryng #5 Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 26 June 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

A lot of that old information may/will be out dated when 2,0 hits though.

...and the so-called vets need to relearn the game...AGAIN...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Chuck_norris10 #6 Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
  • [300SP] 300SP

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 June 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

The game loses population after every patch and i'm a victim after the last one.This is what happens when a company takes success for granted and diversifies into a field they didn't know how to or who to market for like flight enthusiasts as well as gamers. 

They started with a great game that had a few things that needed fixing and went to a game that loses players every patch.

High ping,frequent packet loss,inability to log in,stuck in hanger,these are common complaints after every patch now and lets not forget the Launcher fiasco that culled a few more vets from the scene.

mnbv_fockewulfe #7 Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

You know what would be awesome?

If clans could exclusively have two-seater trainers where the trainee sat in the front and the instructor sat in the back and could take control of the plane with the press of a button. They would both see the same thing so the trainee would be able to see the nuances that he otherwise wouldn't.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

fogny #8 Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostRaider_Bane, on 26 June 2017 - 02:17 AM, said:

When 2.0 hits, there will probably be a swell of returning vets, and hopefully, an influx of new pilots.  If WarGaming advertises and 2.0 is even a slight bit of a hit, there may be a good number of new pilots.  To my knowledge, there is no clan that has an actual effective dedicated school for these "seals" to train them in how to better enjoy this game. If an interest was taken to teach new pilots how to actually be effective in battle, I feel more would stay because the learning curve would be shortened by thousands of battles.  Seals would quickly become seal clubbers before tier 4 planes would even be researched, with proper training.

I am looking for a clan that would be interested in developing a low tier flight training school dedicated to teaching new pilots techniques not usually learned till several thousands of battles have been fought.  I am not only looking for a clan interested in this, but also instructors who would dedicate time to actual  training sessions and posting to a training site proper techniques. (The site has already been created with a number of posts.)  If no clan would take up this gauntlet, then I am interested in a new clan dedicated to training new pilots who would either stay in the training clan, or move on to another clan with certificates in hand awarded for abilities taught and performed.

LOL, why would you want a kindergarten ?

I have a better idea, mandatory for newbies would be to watch WOWP you tube clips for 10 hours, than get an Ace in first 10 battles.

Of course T1 against seal clubbers.

GhostPrime #9 Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostRaider_Bane, on 25 June 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Hello Raider,

As Waffles mentioned, there are a lot of good clans that are willing to help out newer players. You may want to PM some clan commanders and tell them about your idea.

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

PhoinexFire #10 Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

https://www.youtube....SsYdpsAw-M3KNlJ

Trial by Magus yo

Edited by PhoinexFire, 26 June 2017 - 03:27 PM.

javier_martinez #11 Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• 588 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

In falco you train every Tuesday night besides training there are experienced players play with the new ones in squadron to go passing the knowledge. If some clan wants to participate in a scrimmage this guest only counts falco

WafflesOfWrath #12 Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 598 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Whenever a new patch hits, I usually play for hours to take stock of any changes. Then I bounce my opinions and theorycrafting off of Magus, who listens to the opinions of several DRACS before finally releasing a training vid. He did it for the pilot rework, he did it for the female pilots who got released, he'll do it again.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll put out an easy-to-understand yet detailed vid for 2.0.

I see where you're coming from, though. A new pilot might want hands-on training constantly for weeks, and a clan with its own chat channel would be awesome for that. You'll find some interest if there's enough new players when 2.0 hits.

BrushWolf #13 Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 52 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 June 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

That is true in any MMO, they change over time and anyone coming back after some time off will return to a different game than the left.

Edited by BrushWolf, 27 June 2017 - 03:07 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

x_WARHOG_x #14 Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Right new pilots,

From what I've seen of "2.0" it will most likely drive the few vets who are left out of the game and as for new pilots you really think they will want to play a poor copy of WT when they can just go play WT I mean the one thing warplanes had over WT was no one liked arcade mode in WT and now seems their gonna kick that right in the nuts............:facepalm:

Sneaking up on your six.....................

Raider_Bane #15 Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:03 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [E_R] E_R

View PostWafflesOfWrath, on 26 June 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

I see where you're coming from, though. A new pilot might want hands-on training constantly for weeks, and a clan with its own chat channel would be awesome for that. You'll find some interest if there's enough new players when 2.0 hits.

I have been in classes that were taught like it was an actual class before, and I saw first hand how pilots' successes were doubled or tripled simply by being taught how to turn, how to gain altitude well, tactics for different plane categories, and general battle tactics and best practices. There was an instructor and an assistant using actual lesson plans with certain teaching goals,  and students willing to learn.  I saw new pilots exclaim how they improved, and I saw veteran pilots learn some things they did not know.The training I have in mind is not gathering together and fighting each other, fighting other clans or bots, using the same tactics one knows without being purposely taught techniques not formerly known, and continuing to establish bad habits. 

I am well aware of the negative attitudes about WG updates, and I am aware of how much like another game the update seems to resemble.  Believe me, I know where you are coming from with these complaints, but I am saying I would like to be part of a program that gives this next update every chance we can give it to succeed. I wish to try to lessen one particular problem, and that is WarPlanes' almost complete lack of intruductory training so the learning curve is not so steep and new pilots will not feel helpless for as long as many do.  I am not saying I want the game itself to be easier, absolutely not.  I just wish to make available to new pilots what they need to work on to succeed faster, and hopefully they will stick with the game longer.

Edited by Raider_Bane, 27 June 2017 - 03:05 AM.

Raider_Bane #16 Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:25 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [E_R] E_R

As I think on this more, I am thinking having a particular clan sponsor this is not the only option.  I wish to train all new pilots, no matter what clan, or if they are not in a clan. 

I can see a dedicated group of instructors from all clans who teach the classes to anyone who wishes to participate.  Of course, from these classes pilots with the most promise will be noticed and recruited.  Therefore, the need is for good instructors who can be counted on to be present for  classes.

I can also see a major clan sponsoring this so as to get first chance at recruiting the stars.

_Warchylde_ #17 Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

GouIdy #18 Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostRaider_Bane, on 26 June 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

I have been in classes that were taught like it was an actual class before, and I saw first hand how pilots' successes were doubled or tripled simply by being taught how to turn, how to gain altitude well, tactics for different plane categories, and general battle tactics and best practices. There was an instructor and an assistant using actual lesson plans with certain teaching goals,  and students willing to learn.  I saw new pilots exclaim how they improved, and I saw veteran pilots learn some things they did not know.The training I have in mind is not gathering together and fighting each other, fighting other clans or bots, using the same tactics one knows without being purposely taught techniques not formerly known, and continuing to establish bad habits. 

I am well aware of the negative attitudes about WG updates, and I am aware of how much like another game the update seems to resemble.  Believe me, I know where you are coming from with these complaints, but I am saying I would like to be part of a program that gives this next update every chance we can give it to succeed. I wish to try to lessen one particular problem, and that is WarPlanes' almost complete lack of intruductory training so the learning curve is not so steep and new pilots will not feel helpless for as long as many do.  I am not saying I want the game itself to be easier, absolutely not.  I just wish to make available to new pilots what they need to work on to succeed faster, and hopefully they will stick with the game longer.

View PostRaider_Bane, on 26 June 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

As I think on this more, I am thinking having a particular clan sponsor this is not the only option.  I wish to train all new pilots, no matter what clan, or if they are not in a clan. 

I can see a dedicated group of instructors from all clans who teach the classes to anyone who wishes to participate.  Of course, from these classes pilots with the most promise will be noticed and recruited.  Therefore, the need is for good instructors who can be counted on to be present for  classes.

I can also see a major clan sponsoring this so as to get first chance at recruiting the stars.

In theory training all new players would help the player base as a whole but in reality it will never work. The number one reason being that there would be absolutely no support from WG. You just won't get enough veteran players willing to train newbs without some sort of incentive program. There is also a flaw in thinking that clans would benefit from training new players because there is no clan related activities in this game thus no incentive to keep a steady flow of players. The final nail in the training school coffin would be lack of interest from new players that would want to put forth the effort & time to really learn the game.

Raider_Bane #19 Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [E_R] E_R

View PostGouIdy, on 27 June 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

In theory training all new players would help the player base as a whole but in reality it will never work. The number one reason being that there would be absolutely no support from WG. You just won't get enough veteran players willing to train newbs without some sort of incentive program. There is also a flaw in thinking that clans would benefit from training new players because there is no clan related activities in this game thus no incentive to keep a steady flow of players. The final nail in the training school coffin would be lack of interest from new players that would want to put forth the effort & time to really learn the game.

As I said before, I understand where you are coming from, but I reject the total negativity outlook in it's entirety.

I do not want support from WG unless 2.0 is the success we want it to be and the player base grows to the point where it is actually noticeable to WarGaming.  It is therefore convenient that the tasks, conditions, and standards of the school do not include WG attention, although that would be nice at some point.

I absolutely agree that without pixel incentive of some sort, a number of vets would decline to help.  The lack of tangible incentive and the negative-it-can-never-succeed-why-even-try attitude pervade the player base, indeed.  However, the school does not need but perhaps 2 or 3 staffers to start with.  If the student base grows, then I am certain other vets would like to be a part of a growing success.

There is also a flaw in thinking that clans would benefit from training new players because there is no clan related activities in this game thus no incentive to keep a steady flow of players.

Gouldy, there is no flaw in the thinking.  Just renewed activity alone in a clan, new and excited pilots  entering the clans, new voices in clan chats, and probably a new interest in developing some kind of successful community based clan activities, would certainly benefit clans who have not completely sunk into the skeptical, negative, and the all-we-have-left-is-trolling-and-negativity, pit of despair.

Also, "steady" is not even needed as an absolute.  I would imagine there would be small swells of new students, some excellent classes, then a not so populated time, then again the swell, etc...  All that is needed to start with are a couple of instructors who want to teach. 

I am wondering why anyone would want to shoot this idea down, actually.  I have my thoughts on that, but that is not what this thread is about.  It is about floating the idea of making killers out of seals thereby keeping at least a few more players in  the game, giving vet players more worthy pilots to fight, and doing it in an organized and purposeful manner.

The final nail in the training school coffin would be lack of interest from new players that would want to put forth the effort & time to really learn the game.

Roger that about new pilot interest in learning, I see that.  However, there are those who do have an interest, we have seen it. Advertising about the school here and more importantly in the pub battles would get these pilots' attention.  Individual messaging would certainly bring some in, I have experienced that personally.   Also, there would be those whose interest would develop simply because of the training that helps them achieve more success faster, thereby increasing their enjoyment.

Edited by Raider_Bane, 27 June 2017 - 03:19 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles

View PostRaider_Bane, on 27 June 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

As I said before, I understand where you are coming from, but I reject the total negativity outlook in it's entirety.

I do not want support from WG unless 2.0 is the success we want it to be and the player base grows to the point where it is actually noticeable to WarGaming.  It is therefore convenient that the tasks, conditions, and standards of the school do not include WG attention, although that would be nice at some point.

I absolutely agree that without pixel incentive of some sort, a number of vets would decline to help.  The lack of tangible incentive and the negative-it-can-never-succeed-why-even-try attitude pervade the player base, indeed.  However, the school does not need but perhaps 2 or 3 staffers to start with.  If the student base grows, then I am certain other vets would like to be a part of a growing success.

Gouldy, there is no flaw in the thinking.  Just renewed activity alone in a clan, new and excited pilots  entering the clans, new voices in clan chats, and probably a new interest in developing some kind of successful community based clan activities, would certainly benefit clans who have not completely sunk into the skeptical, negative, and the all-we-have-left-is-trolling-and-negativity, pit of despair.

Also, "steady" is not even needed as an absolute.  I would imagine there would be small swells of new students, some excellent classes, then a not so populated time, then again the swell, etc...  All that is needed to start with are a couple of instructors who want to teach. 

I am wondering why anyone would want to shoot this idea down, actually.  I have my thoughts on that, but that is not what this thread is about.  It is about floating the idea of making killers out of seals thereby keeping at least a few more players in  the game, giving vet players more worthy pilots to fight, and doing it in an organized and purposeful manner.

Roger that about new pilot interest in learning, I see that.  However, there are those who do have an interest, we have seen it. Advertising about the school here and more importantly in the pub battles would get these pilots' attention.  Individual messaging would certainly bring some in, I have experienced that personally.   Also, there would be those whose interest would develop simply because of the training that helps them achieve more success faster, thereby increasing their enjoyment.

You have less than 200 battles.  You Kill/Death Ratio is 8.0, averaging 3.0 Kills/Game and a survival rate of 63%.

You are proof that new players don't nee to learn from vets.  You don't need to be asking for a school, you should be teaching it.  

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users