Flights (Wingmates) - Lead and Wingman(s)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Mackunaima #1 Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

Well, I'm witing this at the top of my head right now, so this is not THE manual nor THE Bible, but I'm going to write such a thing trying to help some folks. I know, this dosen't have much value right now with low population, but would be nice to have more competitives guys over here. Also I'm sory about my grammar mistakes, english is not my language.

It is not rare to see flights without any clue about how to play in flight, and is not impossible to break them. So is not rare too to be blamed by such guys because they really think they just need to get in flight to maximize or even become unstoppable. Well it is not true not even for very skilled players.

So, my goal here is to share my humble aknowlegment about flights. Also I'm inviting you all to contribute to it, and as soon as possible I'll update this post and cite the collaborators over here.

As a few as you know, I'm not a pilot, I could pilot just once, a monomotor plane in my grampa farm and just it. Im in fact an ex military, a green beret. So most of my missions were done alone, just me and who was wacthing me from beyond skies. But I had the opportunity to work with some very great leaders and I was leader a few times too. So I can tell you what do I think leaders and mates need to do to deserve a "great job done" in the end.

Leader:
- Need to have a good acknowledgement about enemies, terrain, and mates;
- Must have awesome situational awereness
- Must have a decent strategy after briefing
- Must have enough skill to stand alone
- Good to have an star to inspire people

Wingman
- Need to be skilled enough to stand alone and save someboy else
- Must to be sharp
- Must be very commited
- More ears
- Less mouth
- Orders are orders and if your leader are not compromised, you will just follow them
- Give good tips before any engagement, but not during. During the battle you need to focus just into your role.

As you can see, wingman is more charged here, because in fact wingman is the working tool. But for mates works fine like a clock, they need at least a few trainning battles trying to follow the rules above.

Once they achieve it, they must focus on the following rules:
- Reduce the comunication as low as they can;
- Good comunication is: Short, Clear, Effective.
- They need to learn their own patterns
- Leader will chose the battles, wingman need to be a good observer until he is requested, just and just to make leader safe again
- Every single time after some error done by leader, all of them need to review their steps. Maybe leader was too much confident about wingman or the leader just didn't know what to do in that situation.
- In case of error done by leader in the very same situation many times. This need to be validate if it is a pattern and all of you need to work with it or just pick a new leader.

The leader is not a master guru for every single situation. Sometimes wingman suits better in some situation. Be versatile is the key of human being evolution.

About many flights on the same team/side. Well, there is a lot of patterns, but the most simple to play is with third man. Wingman backup for wingman. The leader will talk with "wingman", both of them at the same time, because they are one. Once they learn how to work together, they can be splitted.

And these many flight are under a flight commander. This I going to talk later.

At this moment this is what I have to share. But I'm going to increase this post later.

How to Dogfight in Jets: Air Combat Maneuvering: Flight Tactics 1960 USAF Training Film

Art of the Kill

Regards,

Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 27 June 2017 - 04:22 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Steel_bomber_ #2 Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15768 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Nice post Mack, 

Leader, must be able to revise strategy during battle! 

Leader will call, offensive /defensive during fights. A wingman will respond to this. 

There is so much more..... 

In real life the primary responsibility of a wingman : don't run into your leader! 

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

Mackunaima #3 Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostSteel_bomber_, on 21 June 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

Nice post Mack, 

Leader, must be able to revise strategy during battle! 

Leader will call, offensive /defensive during fights. A wingman will respond to this. 

There is so much more..... 

In real life the primary responsibility of a wingman : don't run into your leader! 

"Don't bring me more problems."

Yeah, in real life if it more complicated. But this post show where the things starts.

Tnx for the reply.

Dru83 #4 Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5157 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Good post... but it doesn't always have to be leader and follower. Two flyers who know each other well and fly similar aircraft can easily share roles back and forth. The key is to be close enough to support each other and not so close that you get in each other's way.

Having similar aircraft is important because you can't support a team mate if they are at a different altitude and your plane doesn't fly very well there. I like flying my Yak-9, but it's not great for flights because it's a lower altitude plane and I can't support a flight member because they're 3,000 ft above me.

GhostPrime #5 Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1644 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
Great Post, thank you for the write-up! I'm sure it will help others

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Mackunaima #6 Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostDru83, on 23 June 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Good post... but it doesn't always have to be leader and follower. Two flyers who know each other well and fly similar aircraft can easily share roles back and forth. The key is to be close enough to support each other and not so close that you get in each other's way.

Having similar aircraft is important because you can't support a team mate if they are at a different altitude and your plane doesn't fly very well there. I like flying my Yak-9, but it's not great for flights because it's a lower altitude plane and I can't support a flight member because they're 3,000 ft above me.

For sure, but things start before they can know each other. That is the reason I told, after you know your partner you can switch roles or even both of you play both roles and change it during the battle.

The second part is true when you need to support your leader on his plans. But when you are confident about your leader skills, most of time a good wingman will pick a plane to do that job the leader's plane can't do very easy. Like Leader on Ta183 and Wingman on J7W2.

One of them (leader) can run and outreach someone and the other (wingman) can clean his tail very easy, just get close when you can't shake the bandit off. This scenario is the most evolved flight situation, because you are independent fighters supporting each other.

So as you can see, we do have many tatics available, but all of them start on the same place. One mouth, two brains, 4 ears, and as many guns as you can bring.

Regards,

Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 23 June 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Mackunaima #7 Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostGhostPrime, on 23 June 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

Great Post, thank you for the write-up! I'm sure it will help others

Tnx, Im going to bring more things to this post. :great:

cqiyuan #8 Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 13330 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Pin this ghost! 

Noreaga #9 Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

great post mac, 

in case some people a little more visualization, here is a video that covers most of what you said.

Nimis obnoxii curare

Mackunaima #10 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostNoreaga, on 26 June 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

great post mac, 

in case some people a little more visualization, here is a video that covers most of what you said.

Tnx man, and tnx for the video also. I edited my post and included your contribuition.

Regards,

Mack

GhostPrime #11 Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1644 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View Postcqiyuan, on 26 June 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

Pin this ghost! 

Done!

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

cqiyuan #12 Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 13330 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

View PostGhostPrime, on 26 June 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Done!

:honoring:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users