BF 109 Z feels like hot garbage

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #21 Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

It's honestly a great plane. I hated it too when I first played it... but Hornet isn't even 10% as good.

Pros: Great dive speed, good guns, a huge "blank" space (seriously- the giant non-space in the center really helps it not get hit), not "to" bad turning, great climb... I could go on and on.

Cons: Bad gun arrangment, mediocre upgrades... can't really think of others.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Vanize #22 Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 17227 battles

View PostGang_Starr, on 15 June 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

109Z is the best HF at tier 7

I 100% agree with gangstar. in fact, i think the Z is arguably the best tier 7 plane there is. the 109Z is certainly my highest non-premium win rate plane in tier 7 (and only my J4M win rate is better, but it is not a better plane IMO). just take some time to learn how to fly heavies and you'll eventually find that the 109Z is a beast.

this is probably like when i thought the P-38 was crap in game. but i came back a year later and discovered i was the one that was crap and the P-38s are brilliant and kinda OP.

and, as others have said, use the 20mms on the 109Z.

Edited by Vanize, 28 June 2017 - 04:26 PM.

armydoc83 #23 Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3013 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I'll not call myself an expert on this game by any extent, but I managed to pull a win with a mostly crippled Z vs. 7 opponents.

Long story short, I had altitude and better speed than all the remaining opponents (fully upgraded engines, both speed pilot skills, both speed equips, 20mm guns).

Planes could get up to my altitude and chase me, but I was able to slightly nose down in order to pick up speed and get them to 12-1300m or so before I'd do a full throttle turn and start heading back towards them. They'd pop some shots off then start to weave as I opened up, but I'd easily see the pattern and lead the shots and do 30-70 damage. A few repeats and I was down the the last fighter, a human P-51A pilot (which might have been my demise if he had gone after me) going after an IL2. I had speed, altitude, and dakka, so a pass, vertical flip, then strafe brought him down from fullish health to flames. 2 ILs later and I had run out of targets frustratingly close to a Gorovet's.

Now, this was a bit of an ideal match, but it highlights how you don't need to out-climb planes just to escape them.

GhostPrime #24 Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1639 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
Its not an easy plane to get used to. But I have seen it do very well in battles. When flown correctly it's a beast.

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Azis_ #25 Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 12359 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
I am not great in it as far as stats but I do love flying it. I disagree with GP about going low, I love hunting GA's and the covering fighters, and this plane does very well IMO. I still kinda suck in it as I have no tail gunner and only one bomb...but fly it like the P-47 works pretty well.

Edited by Azis_, 01 August 2017 - 12:05 AM.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Mackunaima #26 Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
I think this plane is very boring.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

armydoc83 #27 Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3013 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I'm currently experimenting with quad 30's on the 109Z (have to get ready for the 262 at some point).

While they do provide a good RoF compared to other large caliber guns in the game, you have to be a bit more precise with them as you only get a short burst of fire.

The loss to speed and maneuverability are minimal (horizontal speed is unaffected, climb is insignificant, turn is slowed by maybe 1 sec) with a great increase in damage. The short burst of fire before overheat isn't that big a deal because if you're approaching a plane any longer they're either a HF running away from you or you're slowing down into a turnfight and about to die anyway.

The only aspect I'm really unsure of right now is how the lower range of the 30's affects BnZ tactics in the plane. Getting closer is nice as it affords you more hits/crits, but the lower you go the harder it is to get back up to altitude and the more likely your opponent will see you coming and evade. There's also the issue of being able to 'snipe' planes with 20s before they could really hit you. With the 30s, I find myself trading shots with the enemy much more often. I do more damage, but I wind up taking more damage as well.

So overall on the fence about the whole thing.

Gang_Starr #28 Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

Captain

• 12285 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostMackunaima, on 01 August 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

I think this plane is very boring.

Yep just like the rest of high tier HFs, but they are overpowered and people for some reason care about stats in a PvE game so HFs are all that is flown nowadays.

Tenks

Mackunaima #29 Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostGang_Starr, on 04 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

Yep just like the rest of high tier HFs, but they are overpowered and people for some reason care about stats in a PvE game so HFs are all that is flown nowadays.

sad but true...

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users