100 Sortie Report: Blohm und Voss P.210

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:54 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I got lucky on the first day of the event and won a B&V P.210 without missions. Initially, I was unsure how I felt about the new plane - she mounted 30s with a very low RoF and wasn't a pure BnZ or TnB fighter. The fact that she carries air-to-air rockets as a multi-role fighter was very interesting to me (she can also mount the wGR 210 similar to the Me.410). I decided to play her in stock configuration for a while to see how she compared to other aircraft I play (J8M, JL-1A-37, P-80A, J7W1, J7W2, Me.262 HGII, F2H, and XF-90 are my favorites for comparison).

The Blohm und Voss (I call her the BV) P.210 doesn't fit neatly into a role category, and that's one of the facets of the aircraft that makes it so interesting. Vertically, the BV plays nothing like a heavy fighter, yet horizontally at a medium altitude there isn't much that is able to keep up with it in the speed department which lends this aircraft a faux-heavy playstyle. Lest we stop there, the BV can also turn, but not too well - if you get caught up in a dogfight against a more maneuverable plane, you probably have a circle-and-a-half for your team to catch up and clear your tail before you start taking hits. In terms of roll rate and general feel, I think the best comparison I could make is that the Me.262 and the J7W2 had a baby (yes, the tier 9 IJN multi-role plane). She hits hard - very hard - but will still give you some turn capabilities. She has the speed of the 262 in her veins. She also has a roll rate slightly better than the J7W2 which gives her a fighting chance if she gets caught slow by the J7 series. 

I ran my first few sorties with a 50% pilot to see how I like the plane and if it was worth retraining a pilot with some skills in place. I fell in love with the BV very quickly as it's (to me) a perfect hybrid of the 'Boom and Zoom' style and the 'Turn and Burn' styles we see in the German heavies and Japanese multi-roles. I quickly decided it was worth retraining a pilot for and settled on my German Aviatrix as the best fit for the plane. I decided to utilize her specifically because I was unable to destroy IL-20s in a head-to-head engagement using a single burst of 8 r4m rockets. My aviatrix has a skill that boosts damage of weapons 20% in a head-to-head engagement, and this was just enough to bring down an IL-20 with a single salvo of rockets. I trained Charlotte von Staufen in the 'Expert Rocketeer' skill and mounted the Ordinance Delivery Sight III on the BV and set out for some hunting.

The combination of 'expert rocketeer' and Ordinance Delivery Sight III made my rocket attacks much more effective in both head-to-head engagements and angle-off attacks. I went from averaging a single rocket kill per 1.5 games to about 1 per game and managed to score not one, but five Zvonarev Medals in one day. For me, that's a huge deal. It took me ~7200 battles to score my first Zvonarev, and now I had 5 within the first day of scoring my first.

At about the 50 sortie mark, I really began to know this plane instinctively - what situations to avoid, how to capitalize on opponent's mistakes without overexposing myself, etc. My stats started evening out around a steady 66% WR (which got severely dinged in the Axis/Allies event due to a lot of supremacy losses!), 2.2 kills per battle, ~1 assist per battle, ~1 Ace per 10 battles, 1 Rocketeer per 2 battles, and a hit ratio of about 22%.

At 75 sorties, I was really learning the rockets and began scoring two rocket kills in a battle quite often. Most of my visible stats remained the same in terms of averages, but my abilities with the rockets were quickly improving and I began to realize that the rockets are actually the main armament on the BV. I began setting myself challenge goals to use only rockets in a battle unless my team really needed assistance. I saw my skills improve very rapidly after this and soon scored my first Zvonarev's Medal. In fact, I managed to score 2 Zvonarev's Medals in 3 battles. I soon found myself disappointed that the BV fires her 24 rockets in groups of 8, which means you get three shots to score a Zvonarev's Medal - miss once, or fail to destroy your target (pesky ground pounders are hard to destroy in one salvo from behind...) and your chance of claiming that shiny medal are gone.

By my 100th sortie, my statistics were as follows:

Statistics:

WR: 63%

Survival Rate: 47% (I need to work on this...)

Aircraft Destroyed: 220 (2.2 destroyed per sortie average)

Assist Points: 96 (0.96 assists per sortie average)

Hit Ratio: 21% (using the 20mm cannons since upgrading around the 20 sortie mark)

Damage Caused to Aircraft: 113538 (1135.38 damage per sortie average)

Damage Cause to Ground Targets: 11 (.11 damage per sortie average - thanks, stray shots...)

Average Experience: 1277 per sortie

Achievements:

Ace: 12 (1.2 achievements per 10 sorties)

Rocketeer: 64 (1 achievement per 1.56 sorties)

Quick Shot: 35 (1 achievement per 2.86 sorties)

Zvonarev's Medal: 5 (1 achievement per 20 sorties)

Unfortunately, I do not have an exact count of rocket kills over the first 100 sorties, but if anyone knows how to mine that data, I would appreciate a quick tutorial on how to do that!

Overall, the BV is my new favorite bird - she's fast, can turn decently, has a nice roll rate, and most importantly - mounts air-to-air rockets, my new favorite toy! She's definitely not a bird for everyone, she can be very unforgiving at times (try getting your tail critically damaged...) but if you enjoy both the German heavies and the Japanese multi-role lines, then you'll probably love the Blohm und Voss P.210!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

_Warchylde_ #2 Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Thanks GP.

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but my FW 190D is storing up the XP to research this puppy once the event is over.  

I was looking at the Tech Tree, and noticed that the Tier IX gets three 20s, and the Tier X gets four 20s. Furthermore, the Tier X also gets a pair of 13mm tail guns, and 56 of those R4M rockets, in addition to a quartet of the 210mm rockets. Wow, 60 rockets!!

Thanks again for the snapshot.

Edited by Shut_Up_and_FLY, 06 June 2017 - 01:54 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #3 Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Nice man! Can't wait to get one.

Five Zvonarev medals? Damn fine job man. Keep it up!

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

pyantoryng #4 Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12351 battles
Well, I guess that buff to R4M's accuracy to hit planes is real...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

EspressoForHammy #5 Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5307 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
This is the first truly OP line of airplanes that WoWP has released since the P-38 Lightnings launched... These biddies are tough to bring down, and have some serious advantages over most other regular tech tree planes. They probably still stand no chance against a JL-1A-37 though.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Rockstone_ #6 Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 21439 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

I won the T9  BV P.212 haven't had much luck with it as of yet. After Shut_up pointed out the T10 BV P.215 capability's that thing looks like a beast compared to the T8 and T9 i want one lol.

http://worldofwarplanes.com/warplanes/germany/bv-p215-02/#?bids=349,350,351,352,353,356

http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp215.html

GeorgePatton #7 Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postpyantoryng, on 06 June 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Well, I guess that buff to R4M's accuracy to hit planes is real...

Without the crew skill and ordinance delivery sight, I felt like there wasn't much improvement. The improvement came with the skill and equipment for the most part. Also just a will to get more rocket kills haha!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Psicko23 #8 Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18907 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Holy crap, just watched the video GP. Amazing job. you made the zvonarev look easy. I've only managed one of those way back in 1.3 or 1.4.

TeamTerrible #9 Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 45736 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostEspressoForHammy, on 06 June 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

This is the first truly OP line of airplanes that WoWP has released since the P-38 Lightnings launched... These biddies are tough to bring down, and have some serious advantages over most other regular tech tree planes. They probably still stand no chance against a JL-1A-37 though.

Its a shame they couldn't equalize the "chance" effect with the rocket type wgr-210 which is also supplied on the 410 and fw-190

I guess they expect us to believe that these rockets are better on different aircraft or something :teethhappy:

On a plus side they did consider the rocket type r4m that is also supplied on the 262s

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users