Guide Review Replay TbM Video Yak-1 Yakovlev

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Hello, Pilots!  It's been a busy day here; with another major life change coming for me, I'm getting what few worldly possessions I've gathered since the house fire, packing them up and getting ready to move.  Anticipating that it may be a short while before I'm able to upload or edit new vids, I cranked out this guide to one of the finest turn fighters this game has to offer at tier V: the Yakovlev Yak-1.  

At first I was leery of this plane because she only has two guns: a ShVak 20mm hub cannon and a single MG mounted above the engine synchronized with the prop.  The MG starts off as a 7.62mm ShKas but can be upgraded along with the airframe to accomodate a much more stonk 50cal 12.7mm MG.  Along with the anemic engine you start off with I consider this weapon upgrade a must-have for this aircraft to approach being effective.  When the line was first introduced the Yak-1 also could mount external rocket racks beneath her wings, but this is no longer the case so I don't need to tell you that carrying them is a stupid idea.  The Yak-1 is not built to handle getting shot at by AA guns and should never loiter over areas that have not been cleared of them.

What the Yak-1 is excellent at, however, is diving into the furball at the beginning of a match, staying alive, and dishing out damage to anything that chooses to fly in front of her or anything she decides to tail.  Yak pilots should always have their heads on a swivel, however, and be very aware of the radar.  You need to be at least somewhat aware of the intentions of all nearby enemy aircraft to be successful in this aircraft; since her weapons are weak at tier V she becomes most effective when you draw enemy fire and evade all incoming damage, thus decreasing the amount of damage and aircraft losses taken by your own team.  She is excellent at securing kills on heavily damaged aircraft and quickly clearing tails of allied aircraft.  It takes a long time for her to shoot down an enemy from full health, however, so if you start taking damage while lining up your shot go evasive immediately.  You'll have plenty of chances to shoot again later, but not if you engage in tunnel vision and get shot down.

The Yak is effective both solo and teamed up with a wingman; the best choices for a comrade would be another mid-alt fighter with less evasive ability but stronger guns.  In that scenario your role is that of bodyguard; protect your lumbering wingman and help him wipe out the enemy by keeping his six-o-clock swept clear of enemy fighters.  When solo, do the same thing for humans and bots on your team; scare enemy fighters off their tails and you'll be the hero of The Soviet Union your team.  You won't get an ace this way, but your win percentage will climb as you enable your team to stay alive and outlast the enemy by sheer damage done.

Enemies to watch out for would be canny Germans and Americans using energy fighting to good effect; the Yak can't climb and doesn't perform well if she manages to get to high altitude, so your best bet is to remain evasive while in an area that either allies or ground AA can assist you.  Also try to use difficult terrain like bridges and canyons to force your enemy to make an error.   Stay tuned for a special Rechlin Skunkwerks Report on the new Blohm und Voss BV-P.210!

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

GhostPrime #2 Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1656 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Great video! 

Interesting choice of music!

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Quesnel #3 Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 13095 battles
Good stuff, well worth the wait!

20thCenturyLtd #4 Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles
Awesome !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic