2PA-L "Dauntless" bonus skin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3570 battles

Seversky 2PA-L, cross-over markings White-12 from VS-2, CV-2 USS Lexington, Battle of the Coral Sea, May 7th 1942.

I refer to this as a bonus skin as my next scheduled release is not until the end of June. Replaces the default marine skin.

Lieutenant John Leppla and Radioman/gunner ARM3C John Liska, of Scouting Squadron 2 (VS-2) became aces during the "Battle of the Coral Sea" while flying a SBD-3 Dauntless dive bomber. When the Dauntlesses began their aattack on the aircraft carrier IJN Shoho, "White 12" was attacked by three A6M Zero fighters. Liska shot two of the Zeros down, and the third cut in front of "White 12" and began firing on the Dauntless ahead. Leppla downed the Zero resulting in three kills in less than 30 seconds. Because he had altered his dive, he scored a near-miss on the Shoho, but then scored a direct hit on a cruiser. While returning to their carrier they encountered a damaged Japanese float-plane and finished it off for a fourth kill that day.

On May 8th Japanese bombers began a counterattack on the US fleet forcing them to launch even the slow Dauntlesses to stop the Japanese. Leppla and Liska, flying a different Dauntless, because "White 12" was too bullet-ridden from the day before, shot down three more Japanese planes, most likely Nakajima B5N "Kate" torpedo bombers, which brought their two-day total to a remarkable seven kills. For their actions during the Battle of the Coral Sea, Leppla and Liska were both awarded the Navy Cross. Lt Leppla would become the only man to achieve Ace status while flying an SBD Dauntless diver bomber.

Later Commander James Flatley picked several outstanding bomber pilots like John Leppla and Stanely "Swede" Vejtasa, to form his new fighter squadron, VF-10 "Grim Reapers. Lt John Leppla was killed in action while flying with VF-10 from the USS Enterprise during the "Battle of Santa Cruz Islands". ARM3C Liska finished the war with five kills making him the Navy's only gunner in history to receive the status of Ace.

Notes about this skin:

Due to the unique nature of the crew, I wanted to paint this plane, but with the lack of a SBD Dauntless in game I choose to paint it onto the premium Seversky 2PA-L which has a superficial resemblance to a Dauntless. I hope one day in the future I will have the opportunity to apply this paint scheme to a proper SBD Dauntless in game.

This skin is a basic rework of the default marine skin from Wargaming. Only changes I have made to the skin itself were enlarge the resolution to 2048x2048 and change the colors to the US Navy's, Intermediate Blue (non-specular) and Light Gray (non-specular).

There are 2 versions of this skin in the compressed file. First is a Custom skin with all markings painted on, this version requires the files to remove the US markings found HERE. Second is a Default version which is intended to be used with the in game markings, nose art and emblems.

You can download it at: 2PA_Dauntless.zip

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

20thCenturyLtd #2 Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles
This aircraft was an export version, never used by the US. The only country that bought & used them was Japan...I know, but its true ! Now a Japanese skin for this would be cool.

hawkeyededic #3 Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3570 battles

Lieutenant John Leppla and Radioman/gunner ARM3C John Liska

This photo was taken at NAS North Island on July 6th 1942. The plane in the background is not the original "White 12" as it was lost when the USS Lexington was sunk on May 8th 1942.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

hawkeyededic #4 Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3570 battles

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 02 June 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

This aircraft was an export version, never used by the US. The only country that bought & used them was Japan...I know, but its true ! Now a Japanese skin for this would be cool.

Sweden bought them as well, but most of those were never delivered. The Swedish planes were equipped as dive bombers capable of carrying 4 100lb bombs 2 under each wing. The undelivered planes were taken over by the USAAC/USAAF and re-designated AT-12 Guardsman. Only 1 of those remains, at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino CA.

Edited by hawkeyededic, 02 June 2017 - 03:37 PM.

J311yfish #5 Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17872 battles
  • [343] 343

View Posthawkeyededic, on 02 June 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Sweden bought them as well, but most of those were never delivered. The Swedish planes were equipped as dive bombers capable of carrying 4 100lb bombs 2 under each wing. The undelivered planes were taken over by the USAAC/USAAF and re-designated AT-12 Guardsman. Only 1 of those remains, at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino CA.

some notes on Sweden's version, known there as B6 (under Tier III alternates). Incidentally, after the sale of P-35's to Sweden was cut short, they ordered the Reggiane Re.2000from Italy, by the same designer Roberto Longhi.

Edited by J311yfish, 02 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN  /  United Kingdom  /  Sweden  /  Finland (skins/  Italy  /  France  /  Poland  /  China  /  Brazil  /  United States  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal  /  Great Wall of China  /  Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

SkyWolf__WM #6 Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 32357 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Excellent as usual.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users