Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Scinfaxi #1 Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 698 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

Welcome to another addition of Warplane Wednesday, where I bring attention to rare, unique, or just left out aircraft not featured in the game currently, and give it the spotlight for all to talk about and enjoy.

This week is a German Heavy Bomber than got conscripted into service, its the Fw 200!

The Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor, also known as Kurier to the Allies, was a German all-metal four-engined monoplane originally developed by Focke-Wulf as a long-range airliner. A Japanese request for a long-range maritime patrol aircraft led to military versions that saw service with the Luftwaffe as long-range reconnaissance and anti-shipping/maritime patrol bomber aircraft. The Luftwaffe also made extensive use of the Fw 200 as a transport.

It achieved success as a commerce raider until mid-1941, by which time it was being harried by long-range RAF Coastal Command aircraft and the Hurricane fighters being flown from CAM ships.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_200_Condor

"Did you know there are three kind of aces? Those who seek strength. Those who live for pride. And those who can read the tide of battle. Those are the three." - Larry "Pixy" Foulke (Ace Combat Zero)

KloudRains #2 Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Master Sergeant

• 33395 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Wild Bill Shot One

One of the Fw 200s was shot down by a 19-year old fighter pilot. His name was Bill Bethea. As I recall he was out of South Carolina. He was the Vice Commander of the 31st Fighter Wing when I knew him and flew on his wing a few times in the F-100D - when I was at the more seasoned age of 25. He once told the story of the shoot-down, at the club where we went following debriefing of our training flight. Wild Bill related how he came out of a cloud bank in a P-39 , based in Iceland, on patrol and spotted the Fw 200 low, just off the nose, coming head on. Bill reflexively lowered the nose and fired a burst which knocked out engines as he went by. The Condor had to ditch into the ocean and most of the crew was recovered by a local ship. During a rather respectful prisoner interrogation the commander of the Condor asked to meet the great aviator who had knocked him down. Wild Bill said those who flew the Condor were elite aviators and apparently that commander felt this to be true. Bill said that when the Fw 200 commander saw that just a smiling kid had put his mighty plane into the drink, he took off the visor cap, worn through his escape from the sinking plane, and threw it down on the floor in prideful anger. This was told twenty years later with gleaming eyes and by the punctuation of a cackle of laughter. 

We had many such kids who were rushed through flight training, right out of high school during WW II, who found themselves in the most advanced aircraft of their time, flying in battle over lands they recently saw on maps in their high school geography class - still teenagers. I flew with others besides Wild Bill who lived through this experience and kept right on doing it for years. To a man, they were extraordinarily skillful; happy warriors. 

"Throw a nickel on the grass ... "

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #3 Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostKloudRains, on 01 June 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Wild Bill Shot One

One of the Fw 200s was shot down by a 19-year old fighter pilot. His name was Bill Bethea. As I recall he was out of South Carolina. He was the Vice Commander of the 31st Fighter Wing when I knew him and flew on his wing a few times in the F-100D - when I was at the more seasoned age of 25. He once told the story of the shoot-down, at the club where we went following debriefing of our training flight. Wild Bill related how he came out of a cloud bank in a P-39 , based in Iceland, on patrol and spotted the Fw 200 low, just off the nose, coming head on. Bill reflexively lowered the nose and fired a burst which knocked out engines as he went by. The Condor had to ditch into the ocean and most of the crew was recovered by a local ship. During a rather respectful prisoner interrogation the commander of the Condor asked to meet the great aviator who had knocked him down. Wild Bill said those who flew the Condor were elite aviators and apparently that commander felt this to be true. Bill said that when the Fw 200 commander saw that just a smiling kid had put his mighty plane into the drink, he took off the visor cap, worn through his escape from the sinking plane, and threw it down on the floor in prideful anger. This was told twenty years later with gleaming eyes and by the punctuation of a cackle of laughter. 

We had many such kids who were rushed through flight training, right out of high school during WW II, who found themselves in the most advanced aircraft of their time, flying in battle over lands they recently saw on maps in their high school geography class - still teenagers. I flew with others besides Wild Bill who lived through this experience and kept right on doing it for years. To a man, they were extraordinarily skillful; happy warriors. 

"Throw a nickel on the grass ... "

He took down a four engine with an air cobra? Much respect for this guy. I'd have been kissed too if a little cobra did that to my plane.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

EspressoForHammy #4 Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5307 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 01 June 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

He took down a four engine with an air cobra? Much respect for this guy. I'd have been kissed too if a little cobra did that to my plane.

All American versions of the P-39 had a 37mm gun. The Condor pilot was lucky not to lose a wing. One hit from that on a spar inside the wing and bye bye...

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #5 Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostEspressoForHammy, on 02 June 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

All American versions of the P-39 had a 37mm gun. The Condor pilot was lucky not to lose a wing. One hit from that on a spar inside the wing and bye bye...

True, it had a huge gun, I just had always heard how it was one of the least favorite planes- bad altitude and unreliable guns. I thought that's why we unloaded ten on the Soviets more than other planes. But despite having heard that, looked them up after this and man, seems like they weren't near as bad as  I had heard.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Kiwiav8r #6 Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:37 AM

• 11243 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
The Condor being a militarized airliner suffered from an inadequately reinforced structure, and many broke apart on landing.  Like EFH I am surprised the 37mm rounds didn't disintegrate whatever it hit.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users