Iranian F-14 Tomcats, a dated but very in-depth article

F-14 Iran Still Flying

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bobby_Tables #1 Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 23827 battles

Here's a link to an article I found after googling "Iranian F-14s in use today".  The title of the article made me think that it was going to be a puff piece "revealed!, oh be still my beating heart" but it turned out to be surprisingly detailed.  Many things I never knew about the initial acquisition by Iran, the sudden termination of Soviet overflights after their introduction and more.  If you have the time and the bots are boring you to death, here you go:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/revealed-irans-air-force-flies-american-made-f-14-tomcats-16758

A bit of a long read, but as I said, more details about this than I ever knew.  

Psicko23 #2 Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
 That was an awesome article. I was lucky to see the last flight of the last F-14 squadron in 2006. I was aboard my ship in the Navy and all of a sudden a bunch of F-14's flew by. I found out later that it was their last flight. 

Dave12w #3 Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 20978 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

It's a good read, surprising the aircraft can still be cutting

edge after almost half a century.

GhostPrime #4 Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1545 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
This is a very interesting article and a good read. Thanks for sharing this!

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

KloudRains #5 Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• 30792 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Nice find. Stirred memories.

The first operational base for the IIAF  F-14s actually was at Bandar Bushehr on the Persian Gulf. There is where a USN detachment trained the cadre of the IIAF in the maintenance and flying operations of this bird. My friend Capt Richard "Hotdog" Brown was the CO. He later was a great source for perspectives on the subsequent Iranian air forces.  He was a long time Crusader pilot. The Tomcat was not his true love. Hotdog started a beltway consulting company upon retirement. He literally had the office in his garage where he kept an eye on the kids, too. He named the company WBB after Whitney and Bradley Brown, his children. Hotdog seriously retired long ago but his company is very active today. My last duty in the Air Force was as Director of Foreign Military Sales in the F-16 Program Office. The largest project was for the Shah - 160 F-16 A and [edited]with option for another 140. This was to make a force structure similar to the F-15/F-16 mix of the USAF. We managed the acquisition program, like most foreign military sales, with a surcharge to cover our taxpayer costs. I canceled a trip for final inspection and review of the planned first F-16 base there, ten days before the Shah fled. The active installation work at the first base was planned for that coming summer. We had about 25 people in-country with some taken hostage. All were eventually returned to the US. At that time we had nearly 500 million bucks on firm contract for the long lead items in the 160-plane production run. My office was open every day the next eight months in order to organize the transfer of those assets to other programs.  Less than ten million of the funds were lost due to the collapse of the Shah. The initial Israeli program of 75 birds, to their delight, was accelerated by 21 months. The acceleration made the F-16 operational in the IAF in time for the strike on the Iraq nuclear facility at Osirak. The F-4s they already had would not have been able to fly the profile for Osirak. 

Because of the compromise of the F-14 systems to the belligerent Iranians, especially with their apparent links to the Soviet military, there were many upgrades to it. The Phoenix missile was much redesigned. The Advanced Air to Air Missile program was also begun a few years later. It was to be much better performance over the desultory experience of the Phoenix in its actual field operations. In post retirement from the military, I was the marketing director for one of the two contractor teams in this competition and that is how I met Hotdog. We hired his company in a consulting role for AAAM. We were about to start captive carry of missile bodies for compatibility evaluation when the AAAM program was canceled for cost savings after the Soviet Union dissolved. There are more memories stimulated by your find but they are just these kind of ramblings that are only on the fringe of WoWP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users